Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Liliana the "Lost Soul" = GHOST?!?!?
04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
RE: Liliana the "Lost Soul" = GHOST?!?!?
(04-29-2013 04:57 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Mine's painted already, in a photorealistic style. I'm going to ask my painting-guru friend if he has any techniques for giving her some spectral highlights. (This guy's amazing, trust me. If he can't do it, noone can.) If he has any tips, I'll pass them along to you guys.

I would be very interested, indeed. Let us know if you hear anything.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2013, 11:50 PM
(04-29-2013 07:08 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 04:57 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Mine's painted already, in a photorealistic style. I'm going to ask my painting-guru friend if he has any techniques for giving her some spectral highlights. (This guy's amazing, trust me. If he can't do it, noone can.) If he has any tips, I'll pass them along to you guys.

So, I asked my friend how to make liliana seem more ghostly. He said the best way to do it is to turn the figure upside down and lightly drybrush downward (strokes toward the top of the figure) with the ghostly color of your choosing (grey, white, pale blue, phosphorescent green, whatever.) In my case, he dissuaded me from tampering with my existing paint job. He said my paint job was already very good and didn't want to risk ruining it. I always hesitate to go against his advice, but if anyone else has an unpainted liliana, and wants to try the aforementioned technique, i'd love to see the results.
05-02-2013, 12:13 AM
(05-01-2013 11:50 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 07:08 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  

So, I asked my friend how to make liliana seem more ghostly. He said the best way to do it is to turn the figure upside down and lightly drybrush downward (strokes toward the top of the figure) with the ghostly color of your choosing (grey, white, pale blue, phosphorescent green, whatever.) In my case, he dissuaded me from tampering with my existing paint job. He said my paint job was already very good and didn't want to risk ruining it. I always hesitate to go against his advice, but if anyone else has an unpainted liliana, and wants to try the aforementioned technique, i'd love to see the results.

Thanks for the tip. Watchmen02 I keep saying I'm going to paint mine, but after I got FanG done I got burned out on painting a little & have bee doing other projects. But I think I'm ready to start again. I HAD started "Zombicide" when I stalled, but I'm not feeling real enthusiastic about finishing it right now, so mabe I'll skip it & go straight to ATOE. Zombie03
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
05-02-2013, 05:33 AM
That's funny, because I'm in the opposite position. I'm interested in fortune and glory, but after painting my ATOE minis, paintng a whole new game seems daunting, and if I were to buy it, I would feel compelled to paint it.
05-02-2013, 09:17 AM
(05-02-2013 05:33 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  That's funny, because I'm in the opposite position. I'm interested in fortune and glory, but after painting my ATOE minis, paintng a whole new game seems daunting, and if I were to buy it, I would feel compelled to paint it.

With many FFP games I find painting the figures really helps with game play. Many of the female ATOE figures have very similar poses and painting group bases e.g. FANG Villians also helps with identification. I've painted LNOE zombies to show their previous lives / jobs to add flavour to the hordes. Of course, painting Heroes is also just for the love of the game.

Here are my efforts: http://www.thezombiegame.com/gallery/ind...?cat=12626
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
(05-02-2013 09:17 AM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  
(05-02-2013 05:33 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  That's funny, because I'm in the opposite position. I'm interested in fortune and glory, but after painting my ATOE minis, paintng a whole new game seems daunting, and if I were to buy it, I would feel compelled to paint it.

With many FFP games I find painting the figures really helps with game play. Many of the female ATOE figures have very similar poses and painting group bases e.g. FANG Villians also helps with identification. I've painted LNOE zombies to show their previous lives / jobs to add flavour to the hordes. Of course, painting Heroes is also just for the love of the game.

I like your work! Part of my hesitation about buying fortune and glory is all the mook villain minis I would have to paint. I like the idea of painting heroes and character villains, but painting all those mafia and nazi redshirts (brownshirts?) seems tedious.

on the other hand, i did get a kick out of the idea of giving the villain bases a little extra pizazz, making the nazi bases red with swastikas on them. I worry that that might get misconstrued as an endorsement of hate though- I just wanted to emulate a little of the pulp era/wartime propaganda style of depicting the spreading fascist menace on the map.
05-02-2013, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 11:34 AM by Achtung Panzer.)
Don't let the painting put you off FANG. You can play with this great game with models as is and paint them if / when the energy returns - though the boards in FFP games are such a high standard that using 'naked' models doesn't seems almost disrespectful ;-) The Mobsters don't take too long - mostly black with a dry-brush highlight.

But I agree, painting is all part of the story-telling thematic in the FFP games.
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
(05-02-2013 10:18 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  That's funny, because I'm in the opposite position. I'm interested in fortune and glory, but after painting my ATOE minis, paintng a whole new game seems daunting, and if I were to buy it, I would feel compelled to paint it.

I like your work! Part of my hesitation about buying fortune and glory is all the mook villain minis I would have to paint. I like the idea of painting heroes and character villains, but painting all those mafia and nazi redshirts (brownshirts?) seems tedious.

I am currently in the midst of painting FanG, and while there are many figures to paint, the henchmen are quite easy. I literally line them up and paint in an assembly line sectioning them out. Starting with skin tones, then with pants, then shirts & hats, so on and so on. It takes usually about 45 minutes for each section (i.e. skin tones, pants) of each assembly line. I did split the nazi soldiers into 2 groups of eight, but honestly it doesn't take that long. I do one to two sections a night in about a 2 hour period. I finished a rack of nazis in about 3, 2-hour sessions.

Just through on an audiobook or the tv or something and you are all set.
05-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Same here, but I've been saving ATOE for absolute last as I wanted my painting skills to be as sharp as they could. Now they're probably as good as they're going to get...Zombie12

(05-02-2013 09:17 AM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  With many FFP games I find painting the figures really helps with game play. Many of the female ATOE figures have very similar poses and painting group bases e.g. FANG Villians also helps with identification. I've painted LNOE zombies to show their previous lives / jobs to add flavour to the hordes. Of course, painting Heroes is also just for the love of the game.

Agreed. I started w/ LNOE (zed's are easiest to paint, because they're all messed up...Zombie03 ), then did FanG next, as I figured Moderen would be a little easier to paint than the Colonial of ATOE.

(05-02-2013 10:18 AM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  I like your work! Part of my hesitation about buying fortune and glory is all the mook villain minis I would have to paint. I like the idea of painting heroes and character villains, but painting all those mafia and nazi redshirts (brownshirts?) seems tedious.

on the other hand, i did get a kick out of the idea of giving the villain bases a little extra pizazz, making the nazi bases red with swastikas on them. I worry that that might get misconstrued as an endorsement of hate though- I just wanted to emulate a little of the pulp era/wartime propaganda style of depicting the spreading fascist menace on the map.

The Henchies arn't bad, since they're all the same. You cab set up an assembly line & do all flesh, then all clothes, all boots, all belts, all guns, etc. Biggest thing on FanG is just SO MANY BITS. (I gave the Fortune & Glory coins a brushing of brown "dip" & of sparkly blue glitter paint respectively, so add THAT onto all the figs... Zombie03 )

(05-02-2013 11:29 AM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Don't let the painting put you off FANG. You can play with this great game with models as is and paint them if / when the energy returns - though the boards in FFP games are such a high standard that using 'naked' models doesn't seems almost disrespectful ;-) The Mobsters don't take too long - mostly black with a dry-brush highlight.

But I agree, painting is all part of the story-telling thematic in the FFP games.

Agreed. I played FanG for a little while before painting, & the "multi color" of the Heroes/Villains/Henchies does make up for lack of paint somewhat. Watchmen02

(05-02-2013 01:26 PM)Wasteland Jack Wrote:  I am currently in the midst of painting FanG, and while there are many figures to paint, the henchmen are quite easy. I literally line them up and paint in an assembly line sectioning them out. Starting with skin tones, then with pants, then shirts & hats, so on and so on. It takes usually about 45 minutes for each section (i.e. skin tones, pants) of each assembly line. I did split the nazi soldiers into 2 groups of eight, but honestly it doesn't take that long. I do one to two sections a night in about a 2 hour period. I finished a rack of nazis in about 3, 2-hour sessions.

Just through on an audiobook or the tv or something and you are all set.

Yep, that's what I did too (minus the TV, too distracting). Still took a little while though, as I'm not a great painter, & wanted them to be the best I could make them.
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
05-19-2013, 07:44 AM
(04-23-2013 11:40 PM)themanfromsaturn Wrote:  Has anyone else looked at the photographs that Liliana appears in? It's interesting to note that when she appears with another character, that character often seems unaware of her presence (back turned, looking another direction, etc.)

Now I'm turning my thoughts to other characters who may be more than they seem- heroes with the 'strange' keyword come to mind.

I've already put forth my personal theories about Heinrich Cartwright. Adrianna the foreign traveler is interesting, and there may be something there as well.

This is awesome- I'd never have figured this out (if it's true) I love that there are mysteries within the game.

Liliana appears on the Mystery card "Haunted Ground"...that's probably a huge hint. She's also pictured on the Event card "A Painful Truth". Wonder what that "painful truth" could be, hmmm...