Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LnoE vs MoM
02-05-2012, 06:25 PM
RE: LnoE vs MoM
Is Descent older than HeroQuest? It sounds like a similar format, but I never played Descent. Sounds decent.Watchmen01
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Actually HeroQuest is older.... But Descent is a major title that spawned or inspired many similar games of that genre after it arrived at the scene, hence the title of Father of Fathers for this type of games. It spawned similar games like D&D's Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardon (or something) as well as MoM.
02-06-2012, 06:14 PM
I have both games. Heroquest is older and will always be my first love as it's the game that got me into miniatures and gaming. Descent is a great Dungeon game and the pieces of crumbling corridoors are set up as you discover them. If you like the subject matter of Heroquest you will dig this. My only gripe is it's ABSOLUTELY nails to win as the Heroes. The odds are really stacked in favour of the Evil player. There's loads of figures with it too though. However I've only played about 5 times and every time it's took between 4 to 6 hoursZombie15 It's one to consider if you can afford it and have the time to play. A good game but not essential.
02-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Actually the title of Father of Fathers probably has a couple of better entries than Descent.Advanced Hero Quest gave us the "Build your own
Dungeon" & WarHammerQuest was an improved Version.Descent really is just latest in the line that is still in print.I agree Descent did
kick off an interest in this type of Game after the others were long OoP.

Nothing against Descent it introduced the Dungeon Master as an actual player where as AHQ & WHQ were played against the Game System.
Most of these types of Games still follow the AHQ/WHQ as Co-ops rather than the Descent model.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-07-2012, 06:34 PM
I actually had Advanced Heroquest before Heroquest but I sold it. The game went over my head. I think I was about 12Insane19 I've never played Warhammer Quest. I'd like to know if it was any good?
02-08-2012, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2012 12:51 AM by Old Dwarf.)
(02-07-2012 06:34 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I actually had Advanced Heroquest before Heroquest but I sold it. The game went over my head. I think I was about 12Insane19 I've never played Warhammer Quest. I'd like to know if it was any good?

WHQ-was/is Great (it's one of those Games that would
cost too much to produce today).

It had much better production values than AHQ & came with
4 Heroes & a Ton of plastic figs from all parts of the GW
fig range.The rules were streamlined from AHQ & you had
at least 6 big Objective Tiles & each came with unique
missions .

My only complaint was that it was more like a game Kit
as the encounters were generic,3 Orcs in a room & in the next
room some Skaven.They did 2 expansions which were specific
to the Undead & to Orcs.They also issued a number a single
Hero models.

It had charts for when you finished the adventure you had to
travel back to your home city which you had to roll on &
that could generate other encounters.

You generated your own Dunegon as you went along &
the game mechanics made sure you never knew when the Game could end(when the Heroes reached the Objective Tile) probably
the best random Duengon system still today.

Heroes could train to advance their Levels & harder monsters were provided at each Level.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-14-2012, 02:48 AM
o gosh MoM... explorers can NEVER win. played this game like 5x so far and lost everytime... MoM has a betrayal feel and seem fun as first but is it VERY VERY limited to play as a explorer. u get 2 movement and 1 action while the keepers gets like X actions depends on them threat tokens... which he get so easily. i say stick with LNOE if you want to actually win...
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Don't know... the way LNOE develops quickly and simple makes the game sooo smooth that when i bought it i was about to start a Boardgame collection... and now what i have is a LNOE Expansion Collection... lol... think MoM could be good... but not simple or quick to master which is a must if you have loads of people playing that dont fully comprehend english...
02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
I have both MoM and LNoE.

MoM does talk a long time to set up, and is not really a game in which people who are not used to those style games could easily pick up and play. Although I find it very fun and entertaining ( I play mainly as the keeper and love trying to send players insane) I find LNoE a much quicker, easier to explain and to convince my partner and her friends to play... Something which MoM is unable to persuade.

But really, they are 2 different styles of gameplay and will appeal differently to certain people.
09-26-2012, 02:55 AM
I really did like the first two times that I played MoM, I was one of the heroes and enjoy the exploration in the game. Though the two guys that played as the keeper said that they didn't like the game. They said there were to many cards that filled their hand that they couldn't use until much later in the game and it was fruitless to try and get new cards for the same reason. I can't say much with regards to this since I have still not played as a keeper, but I had fun with it.

I really like when a game can craft a story and Even if it is prescripted. I find that even with a set plot I can still find space for my own flavor for the story.