Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lucky Break
04-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Lucky Break
so... another question of discussion (I know, I am full of these in my ever on-going quest to fully comprehend the awesomeness that is LNOE).

so last night we were playing BLOW UP THE TOWN for TP with HP1 expansion. I was playing Victor and I was up rolling 6 dice in a fight against a regular ol' zed.

I rolled 4x 6s and some garbage. the zombie also rolled a 6. zombie win. what we call an old fashioned "nom-nom."

now it has been some contention in the group, because the individual who taught us the game, taught everyone that heroes wound zombies on ANY doubles (to get more newbies into the game without feeling overwhelmed) and it has been a hard fight on my part to wean the group onto the actual rules (I've found the TP experience system game mechanic gives the Heroes is unparalleled, even for inexperienced players with this many kills...)

so...point: I played the Lucky Break card to change one of my numerous 6s into a 7. which was less pleasing to the zombies, who argued you couldn't have 7. I argued that the game states whenever you couldn't have a number (i.e.: "0" in the case of Twisted Ankle or Heavy Rain). I wasn't the only Hero in place to fight that particular zombie, so the zombies let it slide. and we moved on and, incidentally had our first ever win on that scenario (though at this juncture I believe we had 6 hours left, planted explosives in 3 buildings, and had three heroes with explosives...neither of which were Victor.)

so...side note I have found BLOW UP THE TOWN to be somewhat a hard nut to crack (though I have typically been the zombies and I think this is only my second assault as a hero.)

but thoughts? Lucky Break? we really haven't used this card, but I've always kinda wondered why it was honored with a pick-up spot in the Gym. maybe this is why?

I'd love the hive minds' feedback on this one.

"with just a touch of my burning hand..."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2013, 05:37 PM
RE: Lucky Break
Yes. You can modify a 6 to a 7 and thus win.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I guess I should also say that, as far as game mechanics, we roll all fight dice at once as a carry-over house rule from the individual who first taught us the game. the heroes choose one weapon with which to fight; this seems to make the advantages fairly even. I'm trying not to alienate too many of the old guard zombie players, while trying to bring in as many of the actual rules as possible.

"with just a touch of my burning hand..."
Find all posts by this user
04-21-2013, 08:27 PM
The game's honestly more fun when the rules are played straight. Yes, all dice are rolled first. But then you chose which weapon (or weapons!) to use if you have any, one at a time. Repeatedly if that weapon allows it. And no, doubles don't hurt the zombie unless the hero has a higher number. Etc. It sounds like you know them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user