Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mage Knight
09-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Mage Knight
Very curious about Mage Knight. I would be playing it either solo or with my wife. It seems to get good reviews. It looks like it has cool mechanics and ideas, but that doesn't always = fun.

Anybody have any experience with this one?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2013, 07:11 AM
RE: Mage Knight
If you're interested in Mage Knight, I would look up Shut Up and Sit Down's review of the game on YouTube. The game is magnificent, but I'd rather leave it to SUSD to explain its only turnoff: the complexity. If you have the patience required, you won't be disappointed. My problem is I don't have anyone to play it with. I'm starting with my friends on smaller fare, and we're working our way up. Maybe someday... Maybe someday.
09-28-2013, 10:27 AM
I played the original version of it years and years ago when it first came out, it was a lot of fun if you had the right minis, but to that extent it can get expensive. Think Warhammer meets a trading card game. You build and army but you usually get your miniatures from booster packs. I stopped playing when Mage Knight 2.0 came out because it essentially made all of the hundreds of dollars of minis I had illegal.

Take that, you mealy-mouthed bastards!
09-28-2013, 01:34 PM
I hear it doesn't play well with more than a couple of people but is good overall. Game length can be considerable.
09-28-2013, 03:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2013 03:13 PM by mqstout.)
I love the game. I hate the game. I'm completely undecided about the game, after half a dozen plays.
HONEST!

It has lots of interesting mechanics that should make for a great game. They don't mesh very well.
It's quite long, even with just 3 people.
The rulebooks are some of the worst I've ever read.
But the core concepts are brilliant. It's just the specific execution.

Maybe it just needed a good bit more play testing to smooth it out?

I think I'd play the hell out of it if it were a computer game to handle all of the the weird fiddling.

(http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/96848...board-game this is what I'm talking about, in case of confusion.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user