Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Make a Zombie Sound ???
07-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Make a Zombie Sound ???
Hi, so just recently i was in a game of Zombie Fluxx. One of the cards states; When you draw a Zombie you must Groan like a Zombie or else....

So we all started making a groaning type noise. The basic errrrrr or uuuuhh type sounds.

Then i had a thought. Zombies dont breath, Zombies cant make noises. The way to make noise when air passes through a consticted space. (Try to inhale and talk, try to talk with out letting air out of you)

So, how can Zombies make a noise ?

In Romero's 2005 Land of the Dead. The Zombies do make noise. Yet when they walked under the water, no air bubbles came out ???? Well, its because their dead, and they dont drown. Because they dont breathe. So how do they make noise ?

Yes, it is possible for air to be trapped in a cavity, - and then relased, during an attack, resulting from streching or reaching, kinda like when a burb slips out.

Zombies are alos mindless (well single thought driven) So how, or why would a Zombie want to make noise. "look honey, theres dinner. lets make noise and scare it away"

Dont even get me started on the digestive system of a zombie. It gets real gross. Well, they intake food. So they must expell ....???

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2012, 08:55 PM
RE: Make a Zombie Sound ???
It's all for dramatic effect. Listen how noisy Tie Fighters are flying through space in Star Wars. I forgive the inaccuracies of how real Zombies and space righters sound ;p
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
More modern zombies are portrayed as retaining some of their original characteristics and functions (doing basic tasks or jobs), so would they not retain some basic bodily functions. They do not need to breath but the action of breathing is innately built into our systems and our basic level of thought. That being the case then zombies "breathing" would make rudimentary sounds, which would be a zombie noise.
07-17-2012, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 08:05 AM by vikinglad.)
The chemical process that their rotting flesh is going through while being consumed by bacteria, worms, etc gives off gas that builds pressure within them until it can squeeze through an opening somewhere. Hopefully it is their mouth. I am sure this is how it works. Zombie17

Because it expells in infrequent bursts, one would not expect to see bubbles under water unless they spotted a zombie burping under there. Now that I think about it, there wouldn't be bubbles if it was breathing under water because it would be breathing water at that point. Insane20 Maybe they are always breathing. Do their hearts ever beat?
07-17-2012, 09:26 AM
So it all boils down to the question of realism. Since zombies are capable of getting around, Zombies do need to find a way of meeting muscular oxygen demand. Otherwise the muscle tissue soon becomes necrotic.

Even in death, if you choose to rely on your legs for movement, you'll need living muscle cells among other biological factors for fiber contraction to occur. Thus zombies do breathe.

To conclude the story of movement I'll just add that the slow movement of (classic) zombies doesn't necessarily mean they are stupid creatures. It might be caused by a condition called hypertonia which reduces the muscles ability to stretch. The condition is a result of damage to the central nervous system which in turn could result from death.

As a side note it's hard to explain the spurting of blood if there's no pulse. So zombies have a heart beat. How romantic...

I guess I will just side with Samuraitrev on this one.

(07-13-2012 08:55 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  It's all for dramatic effect. Listen how noisy Tie Fighters are flying through space in Star Wars. I forgive the inaccuracies of how real Zombies and space righters sound ;p

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 02:20 PM
(07-17-2012 09:26 AM)scarydk Wrote:  I guess I will just side with Samuraitrev on this one.

(07-13-2012 08:55 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  It's all for dramatic effect. Listen how noisy Tie Fighters are flying through space in Star Wars. I forgive the inaccuracies of how real Zombies and space righters sound ;p

I too will agree with Samurai Trev, and leave it at that Watchmen02

Freak02 " Feed me your Flesh " Freak05
07-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Hahahahaha, I've never thought that I would read the words "Zombies" and "Tie Fighter" in the same sentence, thanks Samuraitrev!

Zombies are UNdead, they were dead, but not anymore! Then again, they are not living as well. All they have is a half-baked human body which still (barely) works! So if they still have legs, they can walk. If they still have lungs, they can breathe!

As to breathing, maybe old habits die hard and while they are underwater, they've figured out they'd better hold their breaths so their lungs wouldn't fill with water and they could keep making noises in the surface when they detect tasty brains!