Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mayhem in Essex County
06-13-2022, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2022 12:41 PM by Old Dwarf.)
Mayhem in Essex County
Joe Diamond is an ex marine,ex cop who left both services under questionable circumstance. He's overly fond of drink
& women which tend to eat up any profits from his detective agency. He operates from a corner table at the Tick Tock
club in Arkham's East Side provided by the clubs owner in thanks for Joe getting the goods on his cheating wife saving
him a bundle in alimony.

Joe may not be the sharpest pencil in the box but he has a certain roguish charm & is a dogged investigator. Alas his troubled
financial condition has forced him not to be too picky in the cases he takes,so he has a reputation that he'll take on
anything which has too often exposed him to the dark underside of Mythos haunted Arkham & surrounding communities. I've
recently obtained the Reign of Cthulhu & have matched Joe to the Detective Investigator.

Joe possesses an Amulet of Noden's which allows him to banish mythos creatures back to the void & also identifies locations
where the walls of reality are especially thin (Gates)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following Game is a Solo Variant of the Reign of Cthulhu for 1 Inv.Detective Joe Diamond. The Old Ones are modified
to just 1 random Old One placed on the final position. The Other Old Ones are not use but their effect is now the result of
cultist rituals to summon their Old One.

Note: This Variant is based on Variants suggested on BGG by borsook,rkonigsberg & Gabodzila

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Background:
Arkham, Mass,late Summer 1922

A Back Booth at the Tick-Tock Club.

Excuse me Mr.Diamond, I'm told this is your,er..... office?

Yeah, that's me, this is just a temporary location between cases.
So what can I do for you?

I'm Captain Wellingham of the Massachusetts State Police Div. of Investigative Services,
Gang Unit & I have a proposition which you may find advantageous in your...er current
situation.

OK, shoot I'm all ears.

I'm offering you a Retainer of $50 a month to handle some special cases for the Gang Unit.

Now just a minute captain, what's the catch? Your Div.has plenty of Detectives so why hire
a private Dick?

To be frank Mr.Diamond , we have a problem here in Essex County.We've had numerous incidents of
livestock mutilations, people disappearances, reports of encounters with monsters & roving gangs.
Yet the Essex County Sheriffs Dept., the Arkham police & even the local Trooper Barracks don't
seem to take any of it seriously.You have a reputation for handling ...shall we say Outre Cases.

Captain, you don't know the half of it, local citizens & officials seem to have a blind spot when
it comes to these incidents. It's not gangs in the traditional sense but rather Cults who worship
horrible "Gods" they call Old Ones & seek to summon them back to our world. This region for some
reason seems to have a thin layer of reality between it & the beyond outside.It sounds like mumbo jumbo
but here in Essex County it all too real. Locals are either oblivious or too afraid to get involved.

So Mr.Diamond will you accept our offer ? Your explanation seem far fetched but if you can get
to the bottom of these "incidents" & put an end to them that's all we ask.

I'll accept but I'll require reimbursement for expenses when I'm on a case & to be clear there is
no end. This Region is full of Cultist you break up one group & sooner rather than later another
group will start up.

I understand,you'll receive your Retainer Fee the 15th of each month & the states standard reimbursement
for travel,logging,meals but any other expenses like bribes need approval by my Dept.I'll take care of
the paperwork & then update you on our current incidents so you can get started . Oh & we'll expect
weekly reports on the cases your working on for us. Good day Mr. Diamond.

Take care, Captain.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stary Wisdom Cult HQ-Kingsport
The Star Seer speaks-Brothers the time has come to summons our dread Master Nyarathotep.Our Brothers
in Dunwich have received a sign a Shoggoth has appeared ,send word to our Brothers in Arkham & Innsmouth
to let the rituals commence to bring our dark Master forth.

Arkham.MA-October 22.1922
Tick-Tock Club-8AM

Joe! your up early, say is that a new trench coat?

Yes Fred that Gov. retainer really helps but now I gotta pay the piper & go track
down some cultist who have been raising hell around the county.

Joe, be careful I know you have delt with weird crap before but it's always been on
individual cases going after an entire Cult is just too damn dangerous.

Don't worry Fred I'll be careful most of these Cultists are just poor demented individuals
who would rather run than fight.

Damn Joe,you know better individually their pitiful but in numbers they can summon horrors
& God help you if they manage to call up those monasteries they worship. I'm just a bartender
but I've lived here 40 years & unlike most folk around these parts I'm aware of how strange
this area is, so don't take any chances. That Gov. money ain't going to look so good if your dead
or end up in the local Asylum after you've crawled back into the bottle.

Fred I will be careful promise now quit playing mother , now I gotta go.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening,10/22/22-Journal

Wellingham has informed me of increase Cult activity throughout Essex County,livestock mutilations,
fires & chanting in the woods & hills especially in Kingsport & Innsmouth & even some strange monster
sighting in Dunwich.So he assigned me to check it out & stop these activities that are putting the
entire county on edge.

I decided to check out Dunwich first, it has a history of odd occurrences & see about this monster.
Having already blown through my monthly retainer I spent the morning walking to Dunwich, stopping
to catch a late & terrible breakfast at the Cafe there.I did learn that some kind of meeting was
being held over at the old church so I walked over there & entered.The meeting stopped abruptly
with my presence & their hostility was evident .I announced I was working for the MA DIV of Investigation
looking into reports of a monster in their town. Things got real quiet & the meeting was adjourned & the
citizens quickly left without speaking to me apparently intimidated by my inquiries. When I attempted to
leave the Church I was accosted by the monster ,it was a Shoggoth & it's horrid form has me delusional
& I've barracked myself in this Church .

The Star Seer speaks-Brothers our efforts advance especially in Arkham but we face a challenge. A Detective
came to Dunwich looking into our activities & intimidating the locals to withdraw their support from us but
the Shoggoth has trapped the interloper in the Church & the citizens have come around for us.Now send the
word forth to our Brothers our purpose must not be revealed if this Detective is around their location
cease activities & leave at once.

Evening 10/23/22 Dunwich,MA -Journal

This morning after spending the night holed up in the Church I had settled my mind from the shock of seeing
the Shoggoth I went out to confront the monster holding my Amulet of Noden's I banished the horror back to the void.
Before leaving the Church I notice an occult relic on the side of the alter & recognized it as Xanos Mirror.
It has the ability to scry out Rituals & other Cult activities that cause disturbances in reality so I took it.
The Locals who had gathered to see me be defeated quickly became intimidated with my show of power & left.
The use of my powerful talisman left me drained so as much as I disliked Dunwich I needed to rest & manage to
walk to the Historic Inn have taking lodging for the might.It might be the lingering effects of the Shoggoth
encounter but I can't shake the feeling that a great Evil is Stirring.

The Star Seer speaks- Brothers bad tidings the Detective has managed to banished the Shoggoth in Dunwich &
the citizens have again abandoned our cause.I have dispatched a Brother to Dunwich to deal with the Detective
and reinforced our Cult here in Kingsport .Our Dark Master has sent forth another Shoggoth this time to Arkham.
Be vigilant & send praise to the Crawling Chaos.

Evening 10/24/22-Kingsport,MA-Journal

After a fitful sleep I was awakened by the sound of a key being turned on my room's door a shadowy figured
figure entered & I sprang up to confront the intruder causing him to flee. Placing a chair against the door
I considered my options as my leads in Dunwich were exhausted. Wellington's report mentioned Kingsport as a
center of cult activity especially around the Graveyard so I waited for daylight & then made my way to the bus
station. Arriving at the Graveyard my Amulet of Noden's began to throb & I realized this was the center for the
disturbances of reality a Gate to the dark demission's. I began a ritual chant that an ex-cultist had taught me
& managed to close the gate. It was exhausting work & overcome by fatigue I walked to the Warf took a room
at a small Inn . Upon checking in I asked the clerk about any unusual happenings in Kingsport & the man turned
pale & quickly gave me my room key. When I got to my room I went to open a window that looked out on the back of
the Inn & saw the clerk running off. Strange but for now I need some rest so I'll secure the door & turn in.

Stary Wisdom Cult HQ -Kingsport

The Star Seer Speaks-Woe Brothers this Detective has delt us a grave defeat.He has closed the Gate here in Kingsport
& many Brothers are now in hiding. But our Dark Lord has avenged us a Shoggoth has been sent to Arkham & the Cult
in Innsmouth & Dunwich have increased. We shall prevail & revel in the Chaos when the Master appears.

Evening 10/25/22-Innsmouth,MA -Journal

I figured any Cult members in Kingsport would be laying low so I walked back to the bus station & bought a ticket to
Innsmouth as Willingham's report indicated it was another hotbed of Cult Activity.Right away I noticed 3 men lounging
around trying to appear inconspicuous so I accosted them two fled & the 3rd just walked into the bus station. It was
obvious from the reactions of the town citizens that I was not welcomed & then that feeling of Evil Stirring hit me
again. It was like a physical kick to the gut but my mind was the real problem. I began to see everyone as a Cultist &
was turning psychotic. I manage to stumble into a cheap boarding house by the factory & will seek some respite in sleep.

The Star Seer Speaks-Good news our Brothers our Dark Master has sent a Shoggoths here in Kingsport & we have made contact
with it & the one in Arkham.

Evening 10/26/22, Innsmouth,MA

Upon waking my mind was still unsettled & I decided to do a deep dive into Innsmouth & shake the locals up.I notice the
guy from yesterday was still at the bus station so I started with him but when he saw me approaching, he fled .I checked
with the Xanos Mirror to see if any dark magic vibes were present.The Mirror showed an image of the hospital & shattered,
I walked over to the hospital upon entering a couple of men quickly left the lobby. My Amulet of Noden's began to throb
so obviously a Gate was close but my mind was still unclear & I knew I was in no shape to find it.The hospital was
decerped & had few patients nor did anyone try to stop me from exploring the place. In one of the vacant offices I found a
medallion on a desk & recognized it as a powerful relic a MI-GO Eye it would greatly aid me in closing a Gate so I put it
in my pocket. I decided answers were to be found here so I found a vacant room barricaded to door & will spend the night.
Perhaps by tomorrow my mind will be clear enough to locate the Gate.

Stary Wisdom Cult HQ -Kingsport

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers the Detective is causing major disruption to our activities in Innsmouth.Our members are
forced to go into hiding & the locals are reducing their cooperation with us. I have therefore sent reinforcements
to Innsmouth.

Evening 10/27/22,Innsmouth,MA-Journal

This morning my mind was clear enough to search out the Gate & began the closing ritual but I was still too foggy to
handle it & in desperation flung the MI-GO Eye into the Gate. The effort & stress caused my mind to go blank &
I fainted.Upon recovering my mind had cleared itself & I spent the rest of the day walking back to Arkham arriving
at Thelma's Diner late in the day. Thelma & I go way back so she got some food into me & is letting me stay in
the Diner tonight. The booth is a little cramped for sleeping but I'm so bushed it doesn't matter.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers more bad news the Detective has manage to close our Gate in Innsmouth in spite
of our reinforcements. Our Brothers in Arkham that he is now holding up in the town's Diner & they are waiting
for night to ambush him when he comes out.

Evening 10/28/22,Dunwich,MA-Journal

I left Arkham by bus right breakfast ,there were 3 men sleeping in a car out front of the Diner when I left &
I stopped to see if they were OK.Two of then bolted out of the car & walked away & the 3rd just went into the Diner.
I think they were Cultist who were waiting for me last night but I can't be sure. In any case I bordered the bus
to Dunwich which I'm sure is the source of a lot of the weird stuff that's happing in the county.
Upon arriving at Dunwich I went to the Old Mill just on a hunch & sure enough my Amulet of Noden's began to throb,
so there is a Gate around here. Night was falling so I so I broke into the Mill to spend the night.It wasn't much
inside just a lumpy cot & a chest which I searched & found a strange Relic a Tablet inscribed with the Song of Kadath.
Tomorrow I try to locate the Gate.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers alas this Detective has eluded us in Arkham & was seem boarding a bus for Dunwich.
In spite of his interference our Cult has made progress in Arkham & here in Kingsport praise the Crawling Chaos.
We will bring our Dark Master to us. La...La Nyarathotep!

Evening,10/29/22-Kingsport,MA -Journal

I woke to the smell of burning & upon leaving the Mill discovered a huge cloud of black smoke coming from the
nearby swamp. Figuring this had to be Cult activity I reluctantly left my search for the Gate & headed for
the Swamp. Sure enough a Cult Ritual was going on which I immediately disrupted the leader of the Cultist
ran off laughing crying "your too late" the Masters pet is in Kingsport. The other Cultist simply faded
deeper into the swamp. I realized something from Hell must have been summoned by the Ritual but why
Kingsport but not Dunwich? In any case Evil was Stirring & that feeling of dread entered my mind again but
I was able to push it out & set out for Kingsport on a fast walk. Upon entering the town there citizens
running towards me that I stopped & questioned. They seemed confused as to why they were running but I managed
to find out it involved the Market. I arrived at the Market to discover a Shoggoth with a Cultist handler
who upon seeing me promptly ran off.The horror of the Shoggoth triggered in me a Psychotic Episode &
retreated into the Market which was now deserted & barricaded myself in the managers office. I will
rest here until tomorrow when my mind will be somewhat recovered to face the monster.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers our Dark Master has delivered our adversary to us. Our Brothers in Dunwich
were summoning a Shoggoth to deal with the Detective there but the Ritual was disrupted & the Shoggoth
appearance was displaced to Kingsport.

Evening,10/30/22-Kingsport,MA -Journal

Last night I spent walking to Kingsport if a Shoggoth is loose there I'll need to deal with it although
it's frustrating to leave my search for the Dunwich Gate when I was so close.A Cultist emerged from the Swamp &
tried to stop me but I drove him off. Upon entering the town citizens were running towards me that I stopped &
questioned. They seemed confused as to why they were running but I managed to find out it involved the Market.
I arrived at the Market to discover a Shoggoth with a Cultist handler who upon seeing me promptly ran off.
The horror of the Shoggoth triggered in me a Psychotic Episode & retreated into the Market which was now
deserted & barricaded myself in the managers office. I will rest here until tomorrow when my mind will be
somewhat recovered to face the monster.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers the Detective is hiding in the Market from our Masters pet which limits the
mischief he can cause us & if he leaves the building the Shoggoth is waiting. Meantime our strength grows
in Arkham & here in Kingsport.

Evening.10/31/22 (Halloween) ,Kingsport,MA -Journal

Halloween to day of all days to face a creature from the Void but I couldn't stay holed up in the Market
so with mt Amulet of Noden's I faced the creature & sent it back to whatever Hell it came from.The strain
of using the Amulet weakened me as usual & I returned to the managers to steady myself.While resting I noticed
a Relic on his shelf it was The Last Hour Glass which I took to keep out of the Cultist Hands.Then I used the
phone to report to Willingham & he reminds me he expects a written report & I almost tell him where he can
put his written reports but think better of it. He does say Arkham is having a big upswing in Cult activity.
I tell him I'll look into it but I need to deal with Dunwich first.In any case I needed to recover in mind & body
so I check into a nearby B&B & I'll decide my next move after some needed shut eye.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers that interloper Detective has overcome the Shoggoth at the Market & the other
Shoggoth we have lost contact with.If he continues to frustrate us the Dark Master will not
be pleased, still in spite of him our numbers increase in Arkham & Innsmouth.

Evening,11/01/22,Dunwich.MA-Journal

This Morning I decided the Gate in Dunwich was more important than whatever is going on in Arkham but as I
was preparing to leave I heard some citizens complaining about some group had taken over the Theater &
were brining in cages of chickens. I knew this had to be some sort of Cult sacrifice ritual so I put
my travel plans on hold & headed to the Theater.My appearance had the desired effect & the group broke up
& the guy who brought the chickens was pissed as he hadn't been paid. He did say he was told that the
chickens were to be part of some ceremony to support an awaking in Dunwich.He thought the group was crazy
but the money offered for the chickens was good but now he had to pack them back up.I now knew my instincts
were correct about Dunwich but I was still drained from yesterday & just checked around the Theater to
see if the Cultist had left anything behind.When I got to the back door I noticed a small Silver Key on
the floor & recognized it as an occult transport device. If I could just concentrate hard enough I could
use it so I closed my eyes & thought of Dunwich & the Old Mill & when I opened them I was there the Silver
Key was gone but it was worth it.I've stumbled into the old cot & will start the Gate search tomorrow.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers we have survived a close call that risk exposure but in our haste to
escape the Detective the Silver Key was lost & we must consider the possibility that he may have found
it.If that's so & he is aware of its power then our adversary could be any where. I have sent messages
to our Brothers in Innsmouth, Arkham & Dunwich to be on the look out.Kingsport & Dunwich have been reinforced.

Evening ,11/02/22, Dunwich.MA-Journal

I slept soundly last night knowing by using the Silver Key the Cult would be unable to trace me. I rose early
& found the Gate & managed to get through the Ritual Chant to close it.The effort exhausted my body & drained
my mind I will now sleep it off at the Mill & tomorrow see what's going in Arkham.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers we have suffered a terrible set back the Detective was able to slip by us &
close the Dunwich Gate.Our Brothers in Dunwich have abandoned the town a few have returned to Kingsport &
Innsmouth but many have just gone into hiding. Our only hope now is to keep the Detective occupied to
prevent him from closing the Arkham Gate.

Evening,11/03/22.Arkham,MA-Journal

I walked to Arkham this morning to help clear my head & find out how bad Cult activity has become in the city.
First however I stopped by the University to have the Last Hourglass checked out I knew it was an occult Relic
but not much else about its function. I found out it was an information device & told how to invoke its powers.
I was also warned it collected a physic toll for using it. Nevertheless I needed information so I invoked the
thing finding out the Location of the Arkham Gate but its power shattered my mind. Thankfully I had the Song of
Kadath tablet with me & I recited its spell restoring my sanity & clearing my mind.I've called it a day & returned
to the Tick Tock Club. A guy was following me so I turned to confront him but he crossed the street & walked off.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers we must be diligent our contacts in Arkham inform us that the Detective has returned
to the city & appears to be concentrating his efforts there. Therefore we must do what we can to distract him
from Arkham we are redoubling our activities here in Kingsport & Innsmouth.

Evening,11/04/22.Arkham,MA-Journal

I left my room at the Tick Tock club in late afternoon & headed for the Park I had discovered the Gate was there & I
had to find it. Arriving there I encountered Cult Members who were trying to perform a Ritual but I scattered
them one who looked like their leaded dropped a book in his hurry to escape. I picked up read the title page
& learned it was the Book of Shadow. It was getting late & I was still woozy from the Kadath Tablet so I wasn't
real anxious to check out another Mythos Relic. I headed back to the Tick Tock & will check out the book tomorrow
as it must have something to do with the Gate I'm looking for.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers our members in Arkham have encountered the Detective at the Gate Location, worst yet
the fools lost the Book of Shadow. At least he left the Park without finding the Gate but he probably recovered
the Book of Shadow which could lead him to our Gate but I doubt he'll be able to decipher it.Our members are
returning out of hiding here in Kingsport & Dunwich.Our Brothers in Arkham are making every effort to keep
the Detective occupied & away from the Gate location.

Evening,11/05/22.Arkham,MAV-Journal

My head had cleared some after a night's rest so I cracked opened the Book of
Shadow it's gibberish.I decided to take it over to Mistkronic University Library to see if they can
figure it out. An assistant researcher told me it was a fake meant for the tourist but I knew better & demanded to speak
to his superior thats when he just ran off.Finally Professor Armitage said it would take awhile to translate but I told
it was important & could he just find some passages on Gates. He looked some more & then read out a passage it was about how to summons
Nyarlathotep via creating 4 Gates. Armetiage got through it ok but I became Delusional & had to be sedated. When I recovered
I now knew what the Cultist were up to & how important it was to close the final Gate in the Park.I left at once to search
the Park.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers we must work quickly the Detective has indeed recovered the Book of Shadow & although a Brother
tried to discourage from finding its secrets he been able to get help to reveal our purpose.I have sent reinforcements to
Arkham to protect the Gate.

Evening,11/06/22.Arkham,MA-Journal

Spent most of the day searching through the Park looking for the Gate my Amulet of Noden's was throbbing like crazy but I
just could not find it, really frustrating. Finally said Hell with it & went back to the Tick Tock & bought a bottle. I
think the Cultist are somehow interfering with my search maybe tomorrow I have better luck.

The Star Seer Speaks-Brothers time grows short our Dark Master will not wait much longer. We must prepare the summoning's ritual
before the Detective finds the Gate in Arkham.Our forces in Arkham grow stronger & we have returned to Dunwich so if our Arkham
Brothers can delay the Detective just a bit longer we will be ready .

Evening,11/07/22.Arkham,MA-Journal

I woke up in the bathtub with my clothes on & the mother of all headaches.Several "dead soldiers" were on the floor & obviously
Rum & Scotch do not mix well.Oddly enough my mind was clear so I staggered out to the Park to start searching for the Gate again.
This time I found it right where I had been looking yesterday.The closing ritual took some time as my head was splitting but
I got through it.With all 4 Gates sealed off the Cultist can't bring Nyarlathotep into our world so that should be the end of
all the weird happenings in the County.I barely made it back to my room from exhaustion ,Williagham report will need to wait
till tomorrow I'm going to bed.

Brothers our efforts are undone, months wasted the Detective has sealed the remaining Gate in Arkham.We have failed
our Dark Master & his wrath will be terrible we must prepare sacarfces at onc.........CRASH...the door!..The Shoggoth!!
No...No N......

Headline Kingsport Recorder
November 10.1922-Church Vandalized members missing.

Police were called to the Stary Wisdom Church on a complaint of a vile Oder emendating from the building,
They discovered the front door shattered the Meeting Room ransacked & a slick mucus like slime covering
the floor. Attempts to contact church officials or members have proved fruitless.

Anyone with information about the break-in or the missing persons are request to contact the Kingsport
Police.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was interested in the Pandemic system but was not interested in the Theme of the original but I'm a big Lovecraft fan
& seeing a good price on Reign of Cthulhu I checked the Game out on BGG. I'm mainly a solo player so I noticed a
solo variant for 1 Investigator & a couple of other of variants that looked like cool ideas(as noted above).

Joe Diamond is my favorite Investigator in FFG Arkham Horror series so I assigned him the Detective role for the Game &
mashed together some of the variant ideas here with my own & got it to the Table.

The Game with the added Home Rules worked well but somewhat reminded me of my experience with Horrified:American Monsters
as creating a story line required some work . The Journal covers The Investigators Actions & Card draws. The Stary Wisdom
bit covers the Summoning Card draw & both together help explain a rational for why Joe is running around Massachusetts .

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-2022, 09:31 PM
RE: Mayhem in Essex County
Wow, your dedication to game reports is top notch.

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply