Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Messed up hero figs
02-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Messed up hero figs
Hey all,
I'm not sure what happened with my undercoat but my hero figs are very sticky and the rest of the paint just doesn't go on very well. I have tried to strip them with an acrylic paint remover that is safe for plastic and it didn't do a whole lot. Anyone have any suggestions of something else I can use to totally strip them down? And, of course won't hurt the plastic.
Thanks for the help, this is the best forum and game EVER!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2010, 04:06 AM
RE: Messed up hero figs
What did you use for the undercoat? I used oil paint on mine the first time I painted my zombies... they were sticky... I used acetone to remove it and rinsed it with water almost immediately. Thanks for the kind words on the forum AND yes this game f'ing ROCKS!

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Oh dear. Not sure on suggestions for stripping the minis.

For future reference did you thoroughly wash the minis with warm soapy water before priming?

You need to wash them as they have a residue left on them from the moulding process and that can cause similar problems to what you are describing.
02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow,that's a rough start alright!!!
I feel your pain my figures were tacky as well.I washed my minis with soapy warm water,dried them for 24 hours,used an excellent primer and they were still tacky after 48 hours?
still tacky after a week?
Regardless I painted them up with acrylic paints.Then covered them with a clear coat matte finish($1.42 walmart)
They are not tacky anymore an turned out quite nicely I think.

Now having said that if you used Acrylics you should be able to wash the paint of with warm soapy water and a firm brush(tooth brush is best)
pat dry let stand for 24-48 hours and try again only this time use the clear coat finish to seal them.

If you used oil base then that's a little harder.You can try brushing them with acetone to clean them up and immediately wash them and dry.
Be very careful not to splash the acetone in your eyes or anywhere else use gloves and well ventilated area.

Do not soak the figures in the acetone if they are acetate based plastic they will melt.
I'm not sure what these ones are made of though so it's just a guess but they seem to be more rubbery than plastic to me.

Good luck!!!
02-10-2010, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2010 06:06 PM by Sarku.)
fallensaviour, I soaked mine in the acetone and they didn't melt. Lucky me I guess. It's all about quick hands and good looks... both of which I have in spades. Zombie03

Remember, nobody loves you like yourself!!!

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Sarku Wrote:Remember, nobody loves you like yourself!!!

In that case I'm screwed...

I choose to live in a state of denial...
02-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Sarku Wrote:fallensaviour, I soaked mine in the acetone and they didn't melt. Lucky me I guess. It's all about quick hands and good looks... both of which I have in spades. Zombie03

Remember, nobody loves you like yourself!!!

Then I would say they are probably pretty safe.I still don't think I would soak them in it but they are probably okay to use acetone on then.If you don't have acetone then you can use nail polish remover cause it's the same stuff really.

Remeber if the women don't find you handsome,at least they'll find you handy...
02-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Stripping bad paint jobs..
Being that I would rather apologise than be told no....
Here's a link to another web site about stripping plastic minis:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_...o_Strip...
There's loads of tutorials there about painting once you get your stuff cleaned up.
-Drew
02-11-2010, 08:51 PM
justdrew Wrote:Stripping bad paint jobs..
Being that I would rather apologise than be told no....
Here's a link to another web site about stripping plastic minis:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_...o_Strip...
There's loads of tutorials there about painting once you get your stuff cleaned up.
-Drew

Excellent post that was pretty cool.
02-12-2010, 09:02 PM
If you are in the states, try using a product called SIMPLE GREEN. That strips plastics, and does so gently enough as to not eat the stuff.

Zalgo....he comes.