Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MoM Big Box Expansion
09-13-2011, 02:28 AM
MoM Big Box Expansion
It's at the printer

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_n...?eidn=2643

I'm getting seriously over loaded with "Must Have"Stuff

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2011, 06:11 AM
RE: MoM Big Box Expansion
Oh good lord! I am having a hell of a time keeping up with new games (recent boardgamer that I am) and expansions. But hey, can't beat some more MoM!
09-13-2011, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 01:10 PM by samuraitrev.)
I haven't got the game but that looks soooo cool. I wonder if it's time for a new game. OD If I got into this game what do I need to get up and running? Further more what is the best in your opinion between this and Arkham Horror? I'm only getting 1 of them.
09-13-2011, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2011 11:42 PM by jhwedmd.)
(09-13-2011 01:08 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I haven't got the game but that looks soooo cool. I wonder if it's time for a new game. OD If I got into this game what do I need to get up and running? Further more what is the best in your opinion between this and Arkham Horror? I'm only getting 1 of them.

If I may give some input. I own both games and love them both. Which one you get depends on what experience you enjoy more.

Arkham is a great game. It has enough complexity so that no two games play the same way. It is a cooperative game where the game itself has an AI system that drives monsters and events, and all the human players work together to defeat it. One of the great things about Arkham is that it has the ability to create a sense of mounting tension as more monsters get loose on the streets, terror mounts in the city, and the heroes become more desperate to stop the emerging evil from completely awakening. Depending on how the card draws go in this game, games can range from easily manageable to incredibly brutal and can switch on a dime.
It has a robust system for items, spells, weapons, etc. and you have to put a fair amount of thought into what you want your characters abilities to be during each turn. You can modify their basic stats at the beginning of each turn and will need to do so to address pending situations. This game has been around for awhile and all you need to get started is the basic box. However, because it has been around so long it has numerous expansions, currently 4 big box and 4 small box expansion. So, if you get hooked on it, you can be in for a tidy investment. Overall, this is currently my favorite game and everyone I have ever played it with enjoyed the hell out of it.

MoM is more structured and has an active bad guy (one of the players is the bad guy-- the keeper). At the beginning of the game the keeper makes some choices based on which scenario is being played. These choices in turn determine where clues, puzzles and items are placed on the board. These choices also determine what the keeper and heroes need to do to win the game. MoM is basically like playing a horror movie. It has events that occur at certain times in the game and provides a lot of flavor for the cards and events that occur. The board is constructed of tiles that represent individual rooms in the mansion. The construction of the mansion differs based on what scenario you are playing. Cards representing different puzzles, locks, challenges, etc are placed in each room of the mansion and you move through trying to find the clues and items that will allow you to survive and win the game. Much like a horror movie, the game will steer you in certain directions. For instance, in one scenario, the opening text that you read ends with something along the lines of '... and you hear a bloodcurdling scream from the direction of the laboratory'.

This game is often referred to as Arkham lite. The spell system and stat system are not as robust but still manage to be highly entertaining. MoM is much newer and to get started you just need the basic box. There are 2 small expansions which add scenarios, and another big box expansion in the works that will add new tiles.

Both of these games, in my opinion, are excellent. If you like 'em highly story driven, MoM is probably more appropriate. If you like 'em more open ended, Arkham would be my suggestion.

Hope that helps!
09-13-2011, 11:51 PM
If by helping you mean emptying my wallot than yeah you've helped a lot, because now I want them both Watchmen02

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-14-2011, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2011 11:25 AM by Old Dwarf.)
Well I think jhwedmd answered everything,Arkham has several Big Box Expansions & some smaller ones.
MoM has 2 Print on Demand Expansions & of course the Big Box noted above.

So both can give you a real run on the wallet,however both play fine with the Core Game.

Oh-FFG also has prepainted Inv.figs for all the Inv.(both AH & MoM use some the same Inv
(MoM includes plastic Inv.-unpainted)

And then there is the just released Elder Sign which explores a Museum & is a sort of
AH Lite & uses different mechanics but has a quicker set up & play time.

Final thought AH & Elder Sign can be played Solo as its the Inv(s) against the Game
MoM is not Solo Friendly as it has an active Keeper,so 1 player has to be the villain.

OD

09-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I have read your comments with great interest. Thank you for your time, wisdom and advice.
If I may ask how long does each game take to play?
I'm kind of torn at the moment but I'm steering towards Arkham at the moment. Both seem quite similar subject matter wise (Lovecraftian). Which I really like.

I like the idea of the player co-op, It's a different angle to most games I own. On the other hand changing stats each turn. Does that become laboursome? Answer these last couple of questions, then the wallet's out either way...Watchmen02
09-15-2011, 11:49 AM
Sam-to just give my opinion-if you like CO-op go with Arkham.
Both Games can run 2-3+ hours somewhat depending on the # of players.

The Arkham change stat mechanic isn't that big a deal & allows you
to have your Inv.to do things that fit the situation by increasing a
needed stats at the cost of reducing other stats.It becomes 2nd nature to the Game.

The main thing I dislike about Arkham is the Grab Bag Monster Selection
& Gates popping open all over town with the Monsters in the street.
It's the core of the Game of course but it seems so very UN Lovecraft.

MoM fixes this by having the Monsters keyed to each Scenario so their
appearance makes internal sense.Arkham you basically dip into a
cup of counters & pull something out that is probably unrelated to
the Great Old One your playing against.

Both Games have considerable set up time but MoM tales longer
as you have to set up the Tiles.

OD

09-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Thank you for your advice and I've made a decision....The next game I will buy will be Arkham Horror. There I've said it! Time to hunt out a good deal/company to order it from. I wil let you know how I get on. I'm excited now. I haven't had a new game for ages. Shame on me!Watchmen02

Thanks again board game master.
How many have you actually got? And I mean all of 'em!
09-27-2011, 02:46 AM
(09-26-2011 07:34 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Thank you for your advice and I've made a decision....The next game I will buy will be Arkham Horror. There I've said it! Time to hunt out a good deal/company to order it from. I wil let you know how I get on. I'm excited now. I haven't had a new game for ages. Shame on me!Watchmen02

Thanks again board game master.
How many have you actually got? And I mean all of 'em!

The best place I have found (best prices anyway) is miniaturemarket.com They have had every game and/or expansion I have looked for for much cheaper than anywhere else.