Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
More Grave weapons/Evolved zombies
10-08-2013, 02:42 PM
More Grave weapons/Evolved zombies
I guess you can call them whatever you like but I think it would be great to have some new special zombies.
Here are a few rough ideas that I've thought up. Of course the names would have to change since they are largely uninspired.

Acidic Dead:

Hand weapons that successfully strike an acidic zombies are discarded on the roll of 4+

Armored Dead:

Ranged weapons fired at this zombie require a roll of a 6 in order to score a successful hit.

Smouldering Dead:

This type of zombie may be set on fire without fear of death. Characters fighting this zombie must also roll for fire dangers. If on fire may set other buildings on fire by walking through them.

Cursed Zombie:

When this zombie scores a wound may also cancel 1 remains in play card. May decrease the numbered die roll of 1 fight die by 1 once per fight.

Desecrated Dead:

When this zombie falls place a spawning pit where it died. This spawning pit can be used like any other zombie pit. Heroes may destroy this spawning pit by standing adjacent to this space and discarding an explosive item (must also have a fire item to light it?) or by discarding a holy item on this space.

Frightful Dead:

The mere presence of this zombie is terrifying. Heroes within 3 spaces of this zombie may not approach or search unless a 5+ is rolled. (Rolled each turn)

Well fed dead:

This zombie has had many brains to snack on already today. Not subject to zombie hunger rules.

Other possible abilities:

- Zombies that can remove cards in the discard from the game (non scenario of course)
- Shroud of the dead: Zombie functions like a mobile lights out with a specific range. Moves 2 spaces
- Zombies that let you look at the top x(3? cards of the hero deck and either discard or put them back in the order of your choosing
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 04:53 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: More Grave weapons/Evolved zombies
Some really great ideas here I will comment on each one, maybe share some ideas?

(10-08-2013 02:42 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Acidic Dead:
Hand weapons that successfully strike an acidic zombies are discarded on the roll of 4+

I'm thinking a Zombie that has a 50% chance of destroying a nice new Chainsaw would be a little cruel on the Heroes. Especially for scenarios like Stock Up! Where you need the weapons to win. Maybe 5+?

(10-08-2013 02:42 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Armored Dead:
Ranged weapons fired at this zombie require a roll of a 6 in order to score a successful hit.

How about the to hit roll is the same (if anything the Zombie would be a larger target). How about the hit only wounds on
Signal Flare on a 6+
Revolver + Pistol on a 5+
Shotgun + Police Shotgun on a 4+
Hunting Rifle on a 3+

or just an overall Armour Penetration roll of 5+ ?

(10-08-2013 02:42 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Smouldering Dead:
This type of zombie may be set on fire without fear of death. Characters fighting this zombie must also roll for fire dangers. If on fire may set other buildings on fire by walking through them.

In Timber Peak there's a Zombie card called Smouldering Dead. (The Zombies don't take damage from fires.) Same as your first rule. I like the idea the Zombie is a walking fireball. Maybe he starts a new fire in the Zombie Fire Phase (at the end of the Zombie turn on a 5+) ?

(10-08-2013 02:42 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Cursed Zombie:
When this zombie scores a wound may also cancel 1 remains in play card. May decrease the numbered die roll of 1 fight die by 1 once per fight.

I would say that he can't cancel any Play Immediately cards as that would be a game breaker in some scenarios. Most are quite powerful cards. Some clarity on the 'May decrease the numbered die roll of 1 fight die by 1 once per fight.' section please?

(10-08-2013 02:42 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Frightful Dead:
The mere presence of this zombie is terrifying. Heroes within 3 spaces of this zombie may not approach or search unless a 5+ is rolled. (Rolled each turn)

This idea is great. He would make for a sick boss Zombie. Maybe a custom scenario?

(10-08-2013 02:42 PM)ch82 Wrote:  Well fed dead:
This zombie has had many brains to snack on already today. Not subject to zombie hunger rules.

Another great idea. Although it messes with one of the core mechanics of the game. This guy could cause some serious problems for those ill fated humans! I say keep it!

Again some great ideas. I hope the feedback helps and other members will add to this thread!
10-08-2013, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 05:20 PM by ch82.)
Ah ok I don't own timber peak so I didn't realize that there was something similar already. I've browsed the cards a bit and read the rules but that's about it. Yes walking fireball was my thought. Something the heroes might want to chase down and kill least their buildings get burned to the ground.

I have these green ooze tokens that I got with the growing hunger expansion and I know they can be used with the radioactive grave dead. Instead of using them to to make heroes roll fewer fight dice I was thinking of alternatively using them to stop or slow movement

To clarify the cursed zombie it is similar to the Brains zombie card which lets you add +1 to your die roll but instead you can subtract 1 from a hero dice roll once per fight. I see benefit in it to break doubles or skirt by heroes that win on ties
10-10-2013, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2013 12:39 AM by ForestRunner.)
Sometimes, we use ELECTRIFIED ZOMBIES - and use the black zombies to represent them (charred resemblence).

Spawn rules:
1. As per Grave Weapon zombies (ie one electrified zombie costs two normal zombies).
2. May only spawn from the spawning pits in the power station(s) - ie both Woodinvale & Timber Peak. Note, normal zombies can also spawn here.

Special Rules:
1. On any hit that would normally wound a hero, the hero must roll a die. On a 1 or 2 the hero is instantly killed irrespective of the number of wounds they have incurred.
2. Cards impacting the cancelling of combat rolls have no effect on the death roll above.
3. Electrified Zombies have immunity to electricity. Example is no effect from a card like Jumper Cables or anything electrical based.

The idea was to instill fear into the game. As an old AD&D rpg'er, something that killed a character instantly was greatly feared. Whilst not an inescapable insta-kill it adds another dimension to the game without dramatically altering rules and mechanics of the game. It definitely alters the Heroes tactics.

Also, the zombies have numerous potential insta-kill situations against them... time for payback Zombie15 Zombie15 Zombie15

I don't suffer from insanity... I love every minute of it...
10-11-2013, 07:33 PM
I just bought the black and purple zombies - you've given me something to try them out on. This would be a good Grave Weapons card...or even a Grave Dead choice.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...