Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
More Town Elder questions
10-05-2012, 07:29 PM
More Town Elder questions
Hello. I apologize if any of these are repeats. I've searched out the web as much as possible but am still left with these questions on the Elders.

1. Can you use the ability of a Town Elder that is with you (Hero of the People) more than once per turn? For example, if Sophie is with you can you have her roll for each Mystery card that is in play on your turn? Can you try again on ensuing turns?

2. If a Town Elder is with you and gains another secret are you allowed to see it?

3. If there are multiple secrets under a town elder how are they resolved? If one says the town elder gets placed on the board but one says he is with you, which is it? If an elder becomes an evil elder all of his secrets are supposed to be discarded – except those that give the villain a bonus? – what if there are more than one that turn the elder and give the villain a bonus? They all stay in play?

4. If a town elder has three secrets and they are all then revealed can the elder get more secrets? Are they immediately revealed also?

5. If you play a card that allows you to look at, and discard and replace a secret – can you do that if the secret says to reveal immediately?

6. If I have a town elder with me when a showdown is called can I have one also assigned to me from the hunting party?

7. If the Selfless Martyr secret has been revealed earlier in the game can you still use the ability of the card later on? Seems out of joint announcing a secret that has already been revealed.

Please, if you know of it, refer to the rules section or particular FAQ where the answer comes from. We're hoping to come up with answers more concrete than house rules.

Thanks!
I have some other questions I'll put up in another post. This one is just for Elders.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 05:28 AM
RE: More Town Elder questions
1. Each Elders skill is specific as to the timing. Lord Handbrook, Reverend Harding & Magistrate Kroft all add Fight dice (as applicable), which would be ongoing. Lady Handbrook is the First Hit of each Fight Round. Dr Manning, each time you take a Wound. Sophie, Cancel any Mystery Card AS IT IS PLAYED. So, within those guidelines, yes, you can use their Skills while they’re with you.

2. Only time you’re allowed to Look at a Town Elder’s secrets is through Investigation or Card Play. If you pay the Investigation as an Action on your turn, or play a relevant card, then yes.

3. “Hero of the People” & “On The Hunt” are both “Reveal Immediately”, so which ever got revealed first would take effect immediately. If the other were then Investigated, it would take effect.

Both of the “Darkest Secrets” specify that they do NOT get discarded. “Servant to Darkness” specifies that as soon as it is revealed the Elder immediately turns & immediately gets the free attack. All of the others are Pure or regular Secrets, & thus get discarded.

4. The wording of the “Too Many Secrets” optional rule specifies that “Anytime they have 3 OR MORE secrets REVEAL THEM ALL. So the supposition would be that if they can receive more & that they would be revealed.

5. This is deduction on my part, but Cards that let you PEEK at Town Elders Secrets do so without revealing. Otherwise they would merely let you LOOK at them, & there would be no distinction. The distinction being, if you LOOK at Secrets (Investigation) Reveal Immediately comes into play, if you PEEK (card play), they do not.

6. Not sure if I follow, but the Hunting Party can only consist of 2 Elders. If you have one with you already, you can call one more or you could send the one with you back to town & call 2 different ones.

7. I’m assuming we’re talking co-op, as that would be the only time you would be revealing it ahead of time. It specifies that you may announce (& reveal) the Secret at any time to use its effects. So, yes. (It’s still a secret, albeit one the Heroes share, & the Elder is still a selfless martyr who will sacrifice them self in your time of need!)

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Thanks MoonSylver. I think we've been playing these correctly, then based on your answers.

Re#1 - We have been playing that basically any one player may only roll on any one card with Sophie's ability just once in a game - unless he has to give up Sophie (according to the normal Hero of the People rules) and then gets her back again later. We've allowed the player to roll again on cards he failed at earlier. It's new encounter with Sophie so realistically there may have been other events that transpired and may be other circumstances that exist - so the ensuing attempt to cancel a particular card is a new event.

Re#2 - We have been playing that just because the elder is with you does not mean that he doesn't have or gain other secrets that you may not know. So you must investigate those as well to know them.

Re#3 - we have been playing that the secrets have a chronologic order. So each newly revealed secret trumps the prior secret. We have been playing though that when a flip to evil secret is revealed any secrets after that are also discarded immediately - even if they benefit the villain. This follows I think the letter of the rule, and honors the chronologic progression.

Re#4 - that is the way we've been playing - any new secrets are also revealed immediately.

Re#5 - the way you describe is is the way we've been playing. There is a good FAQ on the Wiki that really cleared this up for me.

Re#6 - It has to do with Hero of the People. The way I take it is you can have that elder with you and also select two for a hunting party. In competitive I don't believe you would be barred from selecting a hunting party just because you have the HoP with you. In co-op any player can only have one assigned to him during a showdown. I believe having the HoP does not bar you from having a hunting party elder assigned to you along with the HoP. They are at different levels of association with you.

Re#7 - we've been playing that even though the Selfless Martyr secret has been revealed you may still announce it to gain its effect. The reason is while the secret may be revealed to the hero party it may not necessarily be known to the villain or to other townspeople in the community. Revealed does not necessarily mean known to all.
10-08-2012, 02:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 03:17 AM by MoonSylver.)
Sounds like you have. I had to go back & check some things on Sophie. Here is a thread that clarified things a bit:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/345615/s...-ambiguity

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-08-2012, 03:15 AM
I took a re-read on Sophie. It does say "any Mystery card in play or Event as it is played". It draws a distinction.
10-08-2012, 03:34 AM
(10-08-2012 03:15 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  I took a re-read on Sophie. It does say "any Mystery card in play or Event as it is played". It draws a distinction.

I had to reread a bit myself. (see link above). Watchmen02