Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dark Shadows
07-12-2012, 04:41 AM
Dark Shadows
Anybody a fan of Dark Shadows? I found out that Netflix streams 160 episodes which I assume is the whole series.

My two younger kids and I have watched the first 3 episodes and we like it so far. I like the old-fashioned horror atmosphere without worrying about something too gory popping up to terrorize my kids.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2012, 11:51 AM
RE: Dark Shadows
I was Teaching 7/8 Grade Social Studies when the orginial DS was big.Everyone ran home to
watch.I actually remember the first epsiode with the spirits on the Cliffs at Collingswood.

Things didn't really take off until the Vampire showed up.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2012 08:17 PM by goodcop2000.)
(07-12-2012 11:51 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I was Teaching 7/8 Grade Social Studies when the orginial DS was big.Everyone ran home to
watch.I actually remember the first epsiode with the spirits on the Cliffs at Collingswood.

Things didn't really take off until the Vampire showed up.

OD

Hmmm, I wonder if the set of episodes offered by Netflix is not actually the beginning of the series. "Episode 1" on Netflix featured the Collins family trying to pay off Willie Loomis to leave their mansion because they all hate him for some reason. Meanwhile he goes into the family crypt to try to steal jewels and instead releases Barnabas Collins who appears to be a vampire.

Maybe they started offering the series at this point because as you say this is when it really took off.

UPDATE: I located an online Dark Shadows episode guide and discovered that what I and my kids watched as "episode 1" was actually episode 210 of the series! So we are missing a whole lot of backstory...

03-19-2014, 08:04 PM
(07-12-2012 08:11 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  ...
UPDATE: I located an online Dark Shadows episode guide and discovered that what I and my kids watched as "episode 1" was actually episode 210 of the series! So we are missing a whole lot of backstory...

So the kids and I were really enjoying Dark Shadows on Netflix. On weekends we would run through a few episodes before bedtime. We got through about 100 of the 160 episodes that were listed on the streaming service, then suddenly it was gone! Netflix took the show down from it's catalog (at least streaming).

My kids were really disappointed after investing all that time.

03-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Ooo! I didn't know Netflix put it up there yet. I'll have to give that a try soon. I did see the movie, which was okay. I suspect that it barely holds a candle to the TV show, though. But, I have never seen it, so I can't say. I will have to add that to my instant queue and try it out sometime soon.
03-22-2014, 09:41 PM
You can get the remake for TV all in two seasons or find the old movies House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows on DVD which retell the story. the latest Depp movie was not that great

03-23-2014, 02:01 PM
(03-22-2014 09:41 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  You can get the remake for TV all in two seasons or find the old movies House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows on DVD which retell the story. the latest Depp movie was not that great

Thanks! I will look for those movies.

06-16-2014, 08:11 PM
(03-23-2014 02:01 PM)goodcop2000 Wrote:  
(03-22-2014 09:41 PM)Pfr_Fate Wrote:  You can get the remake for TV all in two seasons or find the old movies House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows on DVD which retell the story. the latest Depp movie was not that great

Thanks! I will look for those movies.

I had House of Dark Shadows and Night of Dark Shadows on my Amazon wish list and my wife got them for me for Father's Day, along with a couple of cool books about movies. I am looking forward to watching the movies with my kids...