Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Movie reviews (titles starting with numbers)
02-10-2013, 03:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 06:15 AM by goodcop2000.)
Movie reviews (titles starting with numbers)
13: Game of Death (2006)
3.5 challenging tasks

This surprisingly good movie from Thailand is about a man down on his luck who receives an unexpected opportunity to make a lot of money by completing a series of increasingly difficult tasks. The lead actor does a nice job and the wild plot is full of action, horror, and wry humor. If you have a weak stomach, this movie will test you!

1408 (2007)
3 restless spirits

The ending was a bit disappointing but most of the movie was creepy (in a good way). The atmosphere gets more and more psychedelic as the main character tries to survive in the "evil" hotel room. There is really not much of a story line but the film definitely has cool moments.

28 Days Later... (2002)
4.5 tasty brains

This is not a typical zombie movie. Actually it's not really a zombie movie at all because the scary, murderous people are not dead but infected with a "rage virus". There is not a lot of action until the end but the movie is very enjoyable throughout. The strong character development and social commentary make this much more cerebral than the average horror film.

28 Weeks Later... (2007)
4 tasty brains

This sequel to 28 Days Later is very different from but almost as entertaining as the original. It has a whole different cast and a different director and there is much more action. The movie kept me on edge right to the end. Warning: there is a lot of gore and carnage.

30 Days of Night (2007)
3.5 dripping fangs

The strengths of this movie are the clever plot and the creepy atmosphere. It's a nice twist on the standard vampire movie where each day the humans get to fight back. In this movie the day is not coming anytime soon and the humans are purely in survival mode. The vampires are not the debonair, charming type; they are inhuman screeching monsters (but well dressed). Youngsters and viewers with weak stomachs should skip this one as it has copious violence, some of it extremely graphic. But for those of you who love vampires flicks, it's definitely worth watching.

5 Dolls for an August Moon (1970)
2.5 glass balls

The great Mario Bava regarded this movie as his worst and sadly I have to agree with him. There are a few visually interesting moments in the movie including a body hanging in a bag in a freezer and a bunch of glass balls cascading down a staircase. However, the problems include very dated music and clothing, poor sound quality, weak character development of some key roles, uninspired acting, a choppy plot with holes, and worst of all, boring murder scenes. Giallo fans should watch it, but with low expectations.

976-EVIL (1988)
3.5 phone calls

This fun 80's horror movie directed by Robert Englund is about two cousins who call a number for a "horrorscope" and suffer unexpected consequences. I enjoyed the acting performances from Steven Geoffreys who was in Fright Night and Lezlie Dean of Freddy's Dead. The makeup and special effects were good except for some bluescreen backdrops that weren't very convincing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Full movie reviews (titles starting with #, A, B)
I've been watching a few films lately as I've had quite a bit of spare time with the broken ankle. I watched 28 Weeks Later I'd heard it wasn't as good as 28 Days and I was prepared to enjoy it on its own merits. I am pleased to say I enjoyed it. I'd give this film a score of 3.5 close to a 4 but not quite for me. I think it could have been better with regards to character development.
02-22-2013, 03:19 AM
(02-21-2013 10:55 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I've been watching a few films lately as I've had quite a bit of spare time with the broken ankle. I watched 28 Weeks Later I'd heard it wasn't as good as 28 Days and I was prepared to enjoy it on its own merits. I am pleased to say I enjoyed it. I'd give this film a score of 3.5 close to a 4 but not quite for me. I think it could have been better with regards to character development.

The funny thing about the two "28...Later" movies is just how different they are. They are two very different styles but I really enjoyed them both. Come to think of it, the sequel had a new set of writers, a new director, and an all-new cast so it shouldn't surprise me that the films are not similar.

“By the time I realized the danger, it was scratching at my front door.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
02-22-2013, 04:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 05:11 AM by abomination.)
A few of movies I could suggest for your A,B reviews are.-

Baby blues- A slasher like movie about a mom with a severe case of post pardum psychosis.

Blood Creek- A Super nazi zombie occult movie

Basket Case- A movie about a man and His evil conjoined twin.

1974 Black Christmas- If you haven't seen it already very similar to the new one not that good but has a few good scenes and set pieces. "Its me Billy.".

Burrowers- A Wild west monster flick that is probably worth a review.