Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My first (requested) character
01-11-2013, 03:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 03:57 AM by donvercetti.)
My first (requested) character
I was playing the game with my cousins when my cousin's daughter pointed out that there were no children, and asked if they were all dead.
So I made her a character upon her request that it had to be badass, although I decided to add a tiny bit of realism.

The character card:
[Image: dT0FIs.jpg]
The girl and the background image I found on the internet. I just modified them and pieced them together.

The Hasslefree figure I think'll fit the character:
[Image: H52hes.png]

Any constructive criticism is warmly welcome Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
RE: My first (requested) character
Great custom character. I really like the 'childish' fonts used on the character card, and the mini actually looks like the girl pictured. Also the abilities combined with the single health box seem well balanced. Great job!

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Cool idea.
What is that font you used for here name, I like it.

Not sure on the one die fighting rule though. It looks to me that she might get hurt fast.
But on the other hand that is a way that she will have to avoid close combat.

When thinking about kids and survival the first thing that came to mind was that kids are slow.
I mean "walking" not mentally Zombie03

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Really neat! I don't know much about game balance, but to me it's definitely a character that feels like she belongs. Great quote.

"What is it about a zombie that appeals to me? I don't know. Maybe that it's just the most possible - I don't know - of all the supernatural entities."
- Scott Ian
01-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Wow thanks ! Watchmen02
Didn't expect so much positive criticism on my first creation.

I did toy around with the idea of making her move slower in a way, but eventually scrapped it.
As I see it, she's a good scavenger-type character. Even if the board is crowded with zombies, she can
quite easily sneak into buildings and search for scenario items and such. You wouldn't want to send her
into battle without some kind of weapon though, since she's not so strong with her bare hands.
That's why I gave her a ranged weapon at the start, and also balanced her sneakiness out by forcing her to drop any close-combat
weapon when carrying items, making her vulnerable when most important.

The font i used for her name is called Dead Secretary, and is available for free (personal use, I think) here:
http://www.dafont.com/dead-secretary.font

The "childish" font is Marker Felt, that comes with Mac OS X.

I haven't got the mini from Hasslefree yet, but I'll playtest her with a substitute mini next time I play.

If you come to think of anything else, please comment. I'm still learning how to balance the game Watchmen02
01-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I actually think this is really really good for your first time creating a character. When you're done with the character card for sure you should post it in the download section so we too can play with adorably awesome Sammy!

I do like that the only child in the game starts in the gun shop hahaha but hey she needed to get the gun from somewhere I supposed. Well done sir

"My mama always told me someday I'd be good at something. Who'd a guessed that something'd be zombie-killing?" -Tallahassee
01-11-2013, 07:58 PM
Great job; I really like her. She seems very different from the other characters, which will add some new strategies to the game. Very mobile, but very vulnerable.
01-11-2013, 08:53 PM
That's actually really cool! I like it! I think her character and abilities are great. It makes sense to me that she would get one less fight dice, being a small child. Granted, this could make it very dangerous for her to get into fights, but if there were a real zombie apocalypse going on, don't you think you'd want children to avoid confronting the zombies as much as possible? So, thematically, it works perfectly because you'd be more inclined to have her avoid zombies in any way she can. Congrats! Now I can't wait to see more custom stuff from you. ;-)
01-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks Watchmen02

I'm glad you like her, and thanks for the positive comments.
I will for sure upload a high res version of the character card, when it's done, to the Downloads section once I get access to it Zombie03
01-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Not only does she sound fun to play, but her weakness in fights combined with her 1 wound box really sounds like it would amp up the horror element for whoever is playing her. And she's a child! I understand why children aren't used in most horror games, but when done right they can really make the difference. I don't think Bioshock would have been anywhere near as creepy if you were hunting for generic items rather than Little Sisters. I do believe you hit the nail on the head for this one. Great job!

If you are reading this you are already too late...