Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My recurring problem with LNoE
09-15-2014, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 05:37 PM by StayPuft.)
RE: My recurring problem with LNoE
I've never been a huge fan (as a general rule anyway) of timed games, or of timing people in non-timed games. I think sometimes part of the fun of a game is thinking out your strategy. Of course, there are people who over-do that, so I could understand timing people if your group is guilty of that. Me personally, I do tend to over-think my moves sometimes, but I always make sure I don't do it to an unreasonable degree. If I find I am taking too long to make a decision, I just make a decision.

To me, this is part of the fun of the game and helps me get into the theme a little more (After all, were you really facing zombies, it wouldn't be a good idea to just rush around like a madman with no plan unless you are hoping to die quickly.) So I know I wouldn't necessarily appreciate being told I cannot do that. Plus, again, I never take excessively too much time, so I wouldn't want to play with anybody who was so impatient that they'd feel the need to rush me or other gamers along that quickly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
(09-15-2014 05:36 PM)StayPuft Wrote:  (After all, were you really facing zombies, it wouldn't be a good idea to just rush around like a madman with no plan unless you are hoping to die quickly.)

on the other hand. haveing some sort of time limit other than 'forever' does add realism.

in a turn based game if a zombie is approaching a party that is also moving.... well.. that is what constitutes a 'chase'

so inthe rear world, while it might be nice to stop midway down a hallway while a zombie is chasing you.. look at the entire city block you are on. dig in your backpack and check inventory, then look at the two oposing rooms at the end of the hallway and decide which one will be better for you 5 moves later... that's just not gonna happen. and you WILL get chow'd down upon.

you pays your money and takes your chances. Watchmen02
09-16-2014, 03:32 AM
We also never play with two people controlling the zombies. The game seems to have a much better flow when only one person is playing zombies. The more I play as the zombies, the more strategy I notice in them.
09-16-2014, 01:21 PM
This is one of those games where it is more beneficial for the bad guys to be under 1 control, than say axis and allies where its good to split Japan and Germany between 2 players
09-16-2014, 02:56 PM
As someone who ends up as Zombies 90% of the games I play you will indeed notice the amount of strategy involved. Sure your zombies get picked off easily and they only move 1 square at a time but positioning is so important. Part of the key is playing them as if they weren't zombies at all. Cast a net, cut them off and then wait for the inevitable bad rolls to chip away at their resources until they die.

It almost goes without saying to avoid die zombie die if you want to have fun as the zombies.
09-16-2014, 05:16 PM
(09-16-2014 02:56 PM)ch82 Wrote:  It almost goes without saying to avoid die zombie die if you want to have fun as the zombies.

But as someone else on here has said - even this scenario can be saved by using the Dot system
09-17-2014, 01:46 AM
(09-16-2014 02:56 PM)ch82 Wrote:  . Part of the key is playing them as if they weren't zombies at all.

we do the opposite...

in games with hard and fast movement rules ( ie. zeds move towards closest survivor, or if no survivors in site, towards last seen survivor, or attracted to noise..e tc ) we follow those rules. in cases where there are 2 equal paths or survivors we simply coin toss.

we stick to legal movements too.

in case of games that have rough teraine or traps, pits, we usually play zombies like they are depicted... mindless biters, and will walk them across pits ( falls ).. or thru fires.. etc. because that is liekly what would happen.

same deal with fences. normally zeds might walk walls to find an opening.. but on a fence. sometimes they will stop and look thru.

all depends ont he specific game..e tc. some have more liberal movement rules than others. we usually don't interject superhuman tactics over what the mechanics and reality declair.
09-18-2014, 06:12 PM
okay... I'm going to give it another shot. I went ahead and secured a copy of the expansion I don't have and will make a point to pull it out more often from now on and just play some way that doesn't have the pitfalls that makes the game boring. Thanks guys.
09-18-2014, 11:36 PM
(09-18-2014 06:12 PM)Raynor Wrote:  okay... I'm going to give it another shot. I went ahead and secured a copy of the expansion I don't have and will make a point to pull it out more often from now on and just play some way that doesn't have the pitfalls that makes the game boring. Thanks guys.

I'm glad you're giving it another go. I hope you enjoy the new Zombie chapter.Zombie17
09-19-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm glad I could just get it off my chest, so thanks for that guys. And a lot of the feedback is relevant. I'm going to try to limit this to 5 player games from now on. Personally I like the idea of timed games and will bring it up if things get too bogged down in the future - all in the interest of keeping it on theme. Thanks Sound Guy.

Got lucky and bartered with someone in the local community for the latest expansion and the hero upgrades web expansion. Traded $45 in magic cards for the two expansions, never played. Score! I mean I love magic but I love Flying Frog more. AHhahaha. Now to arrange a game with my friends this weekend.