Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[NFL Strategy] Solo 2018 Season
05-30-2018, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2018 07:22 PM by Popestar.)
[NFL Strategy] Solo 2018 Season
Code:
[b]AFC EAST[/b]
MIA   1-0
BUF   1-0
NYJ   0-1
NE    0-1

[b]AFC NORTH[/b]
PIT   1-0
BAL   0-1
CIN   0-1
CLE   0-1

[b]AFC SOUTH[/b]
IND   1-0
HOU   1-0
JAX   1-0
TEN   0-1

[b]AFC WEST[/b]
LAC   1-0
DEN   1-0
OAK   1-0
KC    0-1

[b]NFC EAST[/b]
NYG   0-1
DAL   0-1
WAS   0-1
PHI   0-1

[b]NFC NORTH[/b]
GB    1-0
DET   1-0
MIN   0-1
CHI   0-1

[b]NFC SOUTH[/b]
NO    1-0
CAR   1-0
ATL   1-0
TB    0-1

[b]NFC WEST[/b]
SF    1-0
ARI   1-0
SEA   0-1
LAR   0-1

Standings are sorted by:

Wins
Losses
Division Wins
Division Losses
Conference Wins
Conference Losses
Non-Conference Wins
Non-Conference Losses
Points For
Points Against

If anyone wants the full standings, I can add them to show all of these.

Because I work from home, I have a lot of free time to goof off. Some days I'm really busy at work, other days I have a lot of meetings, and some days I've got not much to do. See, when you're the senior analyst on the team and have more experience than the rest of the team combined, you get these advantages. Watchmen02

Anyhow, I have a lot of spare time to do a whole lot of geek stuff. And one of the things I am doing right now is to take the 2018 schedule for the NFL and run through a season using the NFL Strategy board game and see what happens. For those of you who aren't aware of what this is, here is a link to the game itself:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4831/nfl-strategy

I have this in Vassal, and the module has random selection buttons for both offense and defense, which is what's giving me the option to do this. However, even for as random as this is, there are still things that I have to adjust for. The following are the rules I'm using for this:

1. The visiting team always calls HEADS for the coin toss.
2. The winner of the coin toss always elects to RECEIVE the opening kick-off.
3. Teams will punt on 4th down at all times except in the following situations:
  • The team is inside their opponent's 35 yard line, in which case they will attempt a field goal.
  • There are less than 7 minutes remaining in the 2nd or 4th quarter and the team with the ball is losing by more than 3 points.
4. Whenever a defense is facing 3rd or 4th and 1, or at any time a defense is facing a goal-to-go situation from their 3 yard line or closer, no defense is randomly selected. Instead, the Short-Yardage defense is selected for them.
5. Timeouts are never called except during the final 2 minutes of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

During play, there are several considerations that need to be taken into account.

1. There is no mechanic for a QB kneeling at the half or the end of the game.
2. No time runs off the clock when attempting a field goal.
3. There is no mechanic to account for incomplete passes when it comes to timekeeping. All pass plays that are not play-action, regardless of completion or yardage, tick off 20 seconds. All pass plays that are play action, as well as all runs, kick-offs, and punts, tick off 40 seconds.
4. There is no mechanic for injuries.

Now, I've only gotten through 1 week, and you can see the standings in the first post in this thread. But I found some very interesting things when doing the first week.

1. The game is slanted heavily towards defense.
2. No team, regardless of deficit, overcame trailing in the 4th quarter. That is, if a team entered the 4th quarter losing, that team lost.
3. The game has a tendency for incompletions and turnovers. There was one game where both teams, combined, threw 17 straight incompletions. Followed by 5 straight turnovers.

I did keep game logs to track stats, but that was a bit off because the game doesn't go into who did what, only what team did what. So when tracking stats:

1. The primary receiver on the card is who caught the ball.
2. If the card showed the left RB carrying the ball, the primary RB on the depth chart was who ran it.
3. If the card showed the right RB carrying the ball, the secondary RB on the depth chart was who ran it.
4. On one pass play, both left and right RB's are shown to be able to be the primary receiver. In this case, I flipped a coin; heads = left, tails = right.
5. On several pass plays, the third WR is shown to be the primary receiver. In these cases, I flipped a coin; heads = slot/third WR, tails = TE.
6. In those cases where the FB is shown to be the primary receiver, if the team does not have a FB on its roster I used the 3rd RB.

I used the depth charts at ourlads.com for the full rosters.

Standings are in the first post; I'll keep this updated as I get through each week. A single week is taking me ~8 days to run through, so this may not get updated that often. If anyone wants me to post the stats for passing, rushing, receiving, etc., I can go through the game logs and post that. Will take quite a bit of time, but I can do it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2018, 08:07 PM
RE: [NFL Strategy] Solo 2018 Season
So I'm going through week 2, and we've got our first come-from-behind victory of the young season. CAR vs. ATL. Panthers up 21-7 with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter. Atlanta gets extraordinarily lucky with the randomizer, scoring 2 TDs (1 missed PAT) and a safety in the last 7 minutes. The Panthers get the ball with less than 2 minutes to go and march to mid-field, only to throw 4 straight incompletions. So Atlanta wins, 22-21 in a nail-biter. Also happens that Atlanta is also our first team to reach 2-0 on the season.

I'll be updating the actual standings in the first post once the second week is entirely done.
06-08-2018, 03:26 AM
RE: [NFL Strategy] Solo 2018 Season
Still in week 2 - I've been utterly distracted with playing other games this week - but we've had our craziest game of the year so far. Dolphins at the Jets. Dolphins lead 21-0 at the end of 1, and the Jets lead 23-21 at the half. Miami gets two quick TDs in the third and they hang on to win 35-30 as a pass on the last play from the 5 yard line falls incomplete.