Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Need some advice about a few board games
09-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Need some advice about a few board games
Good afternoon ladies and gents, even though my birthday was actually yesterday for some weird family circumstances i won't bore you with my actual party will not happen until the first weekend of october.

My aunt knows my love of board games and has asked me which one I want, now I am down to three choices and would appreciate any input on which one might be better.

1.) Risk Legacy, From all the non spolier stuff I have read this might make a fun play for my friends, and the part about customization caught my attention.

2.) Elder Sign, Heard really good thngs about it, watched the play through on youtube Table Top, never played any cthulu related games but why not start eh?

3.) Letters from White Chapel, This game really caught my attention and its different enough that my friends and i can get nto it. I hear fury of dracula might be better but the whole jack the ripper thing appeals to me more.

Any and all input about these games would be appreciated thank you for your time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2013, 01:36 AM
RE: Need some advice about a few board games
Risk legacy is awesome if you can get 5 players every time and often enough that you can build the board and remember what happened last otherwise it loses some of its value.

How many are in your group? What kind of games do you like? I probably can recommend some.
09-23-2013, 05:10 AM
Letters from White Chapel! Have I played it? No... but it's a hidden movement game, and those are always awesome. The other good one you mention, Fury of Dracula, I will definitely be picking up at some point. There's nothing like all of the investigators/vampire hunters gathering up and discussing their plans, laying their trap, while you're grinning like a maniac and trying to make them doubt their plan. "Don't list to him," they say. "He's just saying that so we won't do it!"

The trap is sprung, but Jack isn't there. Instead, he's claiming his fifth victim, and the game is up.
09-23-2013, 01:50 PM
There are some on here who've written quite affectionately of Elder Sign. I don't recall anyone who has played Letters from White Chapel (though it's also on my "check it out sometime" list).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2013, 02:53 PM
My group loves elder sign. they are bugging me to get the expansion for it. it gives you plenty of lovecraft feel. easy setup.. resonable fast play.
09-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Me and my wife play Elder Sign all the time and love it. Great game with two players. I've played it with as many as 4 but I think it plays just as well with two.

Once you get comfy with the rules, its really fast paced and fun.

My only criticism is that, once you get good at the strategy and rules, it seems maybe a little too easy to win. That said, its still a fun experience every time.

We don't own the expansion, but theres so many different objective cards that it still feels fresh after many plays. Lots of replay value.

Its also pretty inexpensive, which is a big plus to an uber cheapskate like me.
09-28-2013, 02:26 AM
i hope to get the expansion for christmas!
09-30-2013, 08:42 AM
+1 For Elder Sign. My favorite board game is Arkham Horror but ES scratches the same itch. I have a copy at home, because my wife likes playing it, and also keep a copy at work for down times
10-11-2013, 03:58 AM
I played Letters from White Chapel. If you like the hide and seek type games, it can be fun. It's very hard to catch Jack if you play with all the game elements, ie the letters. Jack usually wins in our group. Its fun and leads to interesting discussion and strategy. Very well done. Personally, hide and seek games don't interest me. The game is basically, move/search, repeat.
10-11-2013, 09:11 PM
interesting. might have to check it out.