Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New 10 Step to Painting Zombie Success.
07-14-2017, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 01:14 PM by samuraitrev.)
New 10 Step to Painting Zombie Success.
Hi folks, I've been painting 40K Orks for what seems like forever so I thought I'd dig out some Zombies and try out a new painting style. I wanted to try a new paint scheme which didn't involve Romero blues or early Games Worshop's green skin tones.

I also wanted to paint these quick.
Step 1: I spray undercoated them with Army Painter's Skeleton Bone colour.
Step 2: I gave them a wash of GW Seraphim Sepia
Step 3: I washed in key darker areas with GW Reikland Fleshshade
Step 4: I washed the darkest areas (armpits, under chin, groin, under feet etc.) with GW Agrax Earthshade
Step 5 I basecoated their clothes and hair with pastel colours as Zombie's flesh should be the main focus (not their clothing). For whites I used GW Rakarth Flesh
blues GW The Fang, Orange GW Jokaero Orange, yellow GW Averland Sunset, green GW Deathworld Forest
Step 6: Wash whites and blues with GW Nuln Oil, wash yellow and orange with GW Agrax Earthshade , and green with Athonnian Camoshade.
Step 7: paint all wounds (including splatter around the wound and running blood) with GW Tusgor Fur
Step 8: paint the centre of the wound and run off with GW Brown Ink
Step 9: paint PVA glue (can be slightly watered down) onto the base. Sprinkle sand of different grades (tiny grains + larger mixed) onto the base. When dry paint the base with GW Brown Ink, when dry drybrush the sand with GW Tallarn Sand paint any larger grains (rocks) with GW Mechanicus Standard Grey, highlight larger grains with GW Administratum Grey apply more PVA glue in random spots and sprinkle some grass flock onto these areas. Paint the edge of the base with GW Rhinox Hide
Step 10 Spray Varnish Testors Dull Coat Spray Lacquer (best varnish I've ever used, most varnishes destroy metallic colours and mute them). If you wanted your zombie blood to look fresh (which I didn't) you could repaint the blood areas with GW 'Ardcoat (it's a gloss varnish)

I hope this inspires some of you to get painting some Zombies. Please ask if you have any questions. Those of you who are experienced painters will notice there's no use of edge highlighting this is because this style focus' on speed and TBH these guys are a messy bunch anyway!

Happy painting folks!Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-15-2017, 11:22 AM
RE: New 10 Step to Painting Zombie Success.
Nice Skin Tones I never liked the so called Necro/Rotted Flesh a lot of Zombies are done in.
GW makes some great paints but I find the cost pricey plus their paint pots were terrible
(once they ditched the 8 sided ones ,I have pots going back over 20 years that are still good).
I mostly use Ripper or Army Painter now.

Yes I'm inspired to get down to the paint room and go for it but I'm waiting for my Massive
Darkness stuff to arrive. I do have a backlog but I'm just not motivated to work on those
figs. I tend to get buzzed about a Game and just want to work on that Game (well until
the next Buzz come along) .

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
07-15-2017, 04:45 PM
Your zeds look awesome. I am super new to painting so having posts like this is so helpful. Thank you. I did have a couple of question.
The army paint bone color is the the primer and the zeds flesh color?
You used dull coat but did not retouch the bloody areas with Ardcoat, how did you get those areas to have a bit of shine in them, particularly third zed from the left, abdominal area?
Where did you get those zeds?

Thanks.
07-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Excellent skills sir!!!
07-16-2017, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 01:47 PM by samuraitrev.)
(07-15-2017 04:45 PM)Spinx Wrote:  The army paint bone color is the the primer and the zeds flesh color?

Yes, I used Army Painter Skeleton Bone as the primer and the Zombie Flesh base coat.

(07-15-2017 04:45 PM)Spinx Wrote:  You used dull coat but did not retouch the bloody areas with Ardcoat, how did you get those areas to have a bit of shine in them, particularly third zed from the left, abdominal area?

The GW Brown Ink does have a bit of gloss in it, so that gives it a bit of a shine. If I'd been painting Zombies that were recently dead I would have definitely have gone for a wet blood look and used Ardcoat but these sculpts look like they've been dead for ages so I wanted the blood to a bit dried out.

(07-15-2017 04:45 PM)Spinx Wrote:  Where did you get those zeds?

These Zombies are from a company called Otherworld Miniatures http://otherworldminiatures.co.uk/

They're a bit pricey but they're very good qualityWatchmen02

(07-16-2017 06:32 AM)fallensaviour Wrote:  Excellent skills sir!!!

Thanks for sayingZombie17

(07-15-2017 11:22 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Nice Skin Tones I never liked the so called Necro/Rotted Flesh a lot of Zombies are done in.
GW makes some great paints but I find the cost pricey plus their paint pots were terrible
(once they ditched the 8 sided ones ,I have pots going back over 20 years that are still good).
I mostly use Ripper or Army Painter now.

Yes I'm inspired to get down to the paint room and go for it but I'm waiting for my Massive
Darkness stuff to arrive. I do have a backlog but I'm just not motivated to work on those
figs. I tend to get buzzed about a Game and just want to work on that Game (well until
the next Buzz come along) .

OD

I agree about the GW paints. For some reason they can't get the pots right. I remember the glass paint pots they were the best. GW do make awesome paints the pigments and the range of colours are great (I especially like the washes) but like you say they are expensive.

I've just ordered some more Zombies from Studio Miniatures http://www.studiominiatures.com/. I will post them on here when I've painted them
07-17-2017, 08:02 PM
These look amazing! Great work!!
07-17-2017, 08:24 PM
(07-17-2017 08:02 PM)Anim8r Wrote:  These look amazing! Great work!!

Thank you Anim8r. I've sent off for more Zombies and I will be sharing how they turn out on here.Watchmen02