Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New ATOE game announced - Dark Gothic
08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
New ATOE game announced - Dark Gothic
Wow - didn't see this coming! Anyone with more news or details?

https://www.facebook.com/FFPgames?hc_location=stream
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2013, 01:08 AM
RE: New ATOE game announced - Dark Gothic
I saw the Facebook post too, but that is all I've heard. Still.... AWESOME!

Gotta say, I have never really been as into deck building games as I am board games (especially with miniatures). But, that doesn't mean I don't like them. In fact, I have played a few that I have loved. So.... it is a Flying Frog Productions game... which means there is no chance in Hell that it will not eventually end up in my collection. At some point, I will be buying this game. :-)
08-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I got to demo this at GenCon on Thursday! FFP was one of the first booths we hit. My wife and I got to play this with Doc Edwards demonstrating it to us! We fell in love with the game. Each player starts with a character card that has abilities and certain levels in Honor, Cunning, Spirit, Combat and I think the other skill area was Investigation - although I could be wrong on that. It seems like there were 5 skill areas. Each character's special ability is different. Each player starts with a basic deck of cards based on the starting skill stats of their character. I played Harlow Morgan, for example. I don't recall exactly but he had something like 8 cunning, 3 combat, 2 spirit, etc. So I started with 8 +1 cunning cards, 3 +1 combat cards, 2 +1 spirit cards, etc. in my deck. Each of those skill areas helps you defeat (win) certain cards that are in the draft pool (which was 6 face-up cards I think). The cards in the draft pool each have a set of requirements needed to be defeated...a certain number of combat & cunning points for example, or it may also require to have a certain item with you, etc. As one is collected another is drawn from the supply deck and placed face up. The cards you are able to win and add to your deck help you the next time they come up in your hand. Many of the cards have an effect when they are defeated or even when they are drawn to be placed in the draft pool. In this way the game is VERY dynamic. There is something triggered and affected on just about each play. And there is player interaction as the result of certain cards.

To begin play a Villain is drawn and placed face up on top of its deck. On the villain card there is information to tell you what you need to defeat him. So many points of cunning, combat, spirit, etc. and perhaps some other type of card. When you are able to come up with that combination in your hand you are able to defeat the villain. You are ultimately trying to buff your character enough to defeat the villain that is drawn for the round. Once three villains are defeated the came ends.

Each card you have collected, and the villains you are able to defeat, have a point value on the card which is counted for end of game scoring. The player with the most points wins. You don't need to defeat a villain to win the game but it will help as the villains are worth many points.

The entire theme is ATOE. All of the cards are recognizable and borrow from the board game. There are minions, items, allies, town elders and events at every turn. The game captures aspects of the base game and all the expansions. The artwork is all the same as ATOE.

Like I said, being huge fans of ATOE, we fell in love with the game. Pre-ordering to get the bonus villain pack was a no-brainer. The sad news? It won't be out for distribution until February Insane19

The guys we talked to from FFP said they all fight over who is going to get to play the game when they get back to the hotel each night. It appeared that they only have two demo sets made up. The cards were made by printing the fronts and backs on paper, cutting them out and placing them into card sleeves with a dummy card sandwiched in to give rigidity. I would have taken one of those sets home if they were offered for sale Watchmen02

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
08-22-2013, 12:21 AM
New art or art from ATOE? Might be too soon to tell if these were just prototype copies, but just curious. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
08-22-2013, 01:21 AM
(08-22-2013 12:21 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  New art or art from ATOE? Might be too soon to tell if these were just prototype copies, but just curious. Watchmen02

Probably impossible to say. At least the art we saw was all the same as the board game.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
08-23-2013, 01:21 AM
(08-22-2013 01:21 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  
(08-22-2013 12:21 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  New art or art from ATOE? Might be too soon to tell if these were just prototype copies, but just curious. Watchmen02

Probably impossible to say. At least the art we saw was all the same as the board game.

Ok. Nothing conclusive in that, as it is only a prototype. Thanks for the info.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"