Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Monster: Darkstone Scorpions
04-28-2015, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 02:28 AM by gavindowning.)
New Monster: Darkstone Scorpions
I've been playtesting these in some of my games, and I've been pleased with how they're coming together so far; they're designed to be roughly as difficult as a Void Spider. Opinions are welcome.

Suggested miniature: Vermin: Scorpions from Bones

The explosion of Brimstone didn't just open portals to other worlds; local wildlife was also affected. In recent months, a new species of scorpion has been seen in the dark stone mines. The Darkstone Scorpions have mutated into a new type of arachnid, wholly different from their mundane bark scorpion relatives; their very exoskeleton has merged with the dark stone. While their carapaces can sometimes be scavenged for the precious stone, they are not typically considered a reliable source. They can, however, be a sign of a rich vein nearby -- or perhaps a once-rich vein that has been picked clean by the predatory arachnids.
Darkstone scorpions are both aggressive and deadly, and they have grown as large as a good-sized cat. This is a terrifying combination, and they typically can be found in swarms throughout the mine and the lands surrounding them. Their toxic sting, enhanced by the power of the dark stone, is painful and potentially lethal, and their terrifying pincers allow them to grab hold of their victims before lashing out with their barbed tail.

Low Threat card: 1 Fleshmaw and (P) Darkstone Scorpions
Low Threat card: (P) Darkstone Scorpions and (P) Tentacles
Low Threat card: 6 Darkstone Scorpions
Medium Threat card: 12 Darkstone Scorpions
Medium Threat card: (P)(P) Darkstone Scorpions and (P)(P) Void Spiders
Medium Threat card: (P)(P) Darkstone Scorpions
High Threat Card: 6 Stranglers and 12 Darkstone Scorpions
High Threat Card: (P) Stranglers, (P) Tentacles, and (P)(P) Darkstone Scorpions

[Image: 202410_800.gif] [Image: 202685_800.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-13-2015, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 12:21 PM by ScooterNH.)
RE: New Monster: Darkstone Scorpions
I have those same reaper scorpions and had independently come up with my own variation of them a while back too. They just seem like a natural addition to the western theme.

My aim was for them to be somewhat clunkier (less movement and initiative), maybe about the size of a dog. My variation also grapples and does a tail lash. Our approaches differ some, but the funny part is how similar the commonalities are. I'll probably play with both yours and mine ;-)

I have some larger old metal scorpions kicking around in a box somewhere too for a larger version.

Edited 6/25/15 - Adjusted stats for mundane scorpions & Replaced images

06-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Nice stuff guys- I have some GW scorpion swarms -I'll have to try to dig them out & give them
ago.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
06-15-2015, 05:41 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2015 12:24 PM by ScooterNH.)
(06-13-2015 12:25 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Nice stuff guys- I have some GW scorpion swarms -I'll have to try to dig them out & give them
ago.

OD
Now I need to go to the store and pick up some more scorpions and paint them black to have both types. ;-) I really like Gavin's tie-in with the DarkStone in their carapaces and the elite #2 Corrupting Venom.

I like that his tend to be nimbler/faster and mine are a bit slower and tankish, so I'm planning on incorporating both. Darkstone Scorps in the mines, and my more mundane species for outside encounters (I play hexcrawl variant)

I hadn't play tested them much, but last night got a chance to mess around with some solo skirmishes using the ones I made. They were fun. I recently edited the sheets to make adjustments to how the tail sting works.

Fun stuff all around