Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Walking Dead game due out late 2013
05-30-2013, 05:54 PM
New Walking Dead game due out late 2013
I spotted this post on BGG from Matt Hyra about Cryptozoic's next release:

The Best Defense is so different from the first season game... In The Best Defense, the Encounters (called Events in game 2) are not resolved like in the first game at all. The Locations in The Best Defense are not checkpoints. You can go there if you want to acquire the gear that Location provides and to keep the Walkers away from the area. It's not a race and you don't roll dice to move.

It's a standalone and not an expansion at all. It's a completely different game and a completely different play experience.
Plus, The Best Defense is 100% Co-operative. Unless you play with the Ulterior Motive cards, and then it's only about 95% co-op.

The release should hit when Season 4 starts up.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12440864#12440864
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2013, 10:19 PM
RE: New Walking Dead game due out late 2013
(05-30-2013 05:54 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  I spotted this post on BGG from Matt Hyra about Cryptozoic's next release:

The Best Defense is so different from the first season game... In The Best Defense, the Encounters (called Events in game 2) are not resolved like in the first game at all. The Locations in The Best Defense are not checkpoints. You can go there if you want to acquire the gear that Location provides and to keep the Walkers away from the area. It's not a race and you don't roll dice to move.

It's a standalone and not an expansion at all. It's a completely different game and a completely different play experience.
Plus, The Best Defense is 100% Co-operative. Unless you play with the Ulterior Motive cards, and then it's only about 95% co-op.

The release should hit when Season 4 starts up.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/12440864#12440864

From BGG:

Quote:The Walking Dead Board Game: The Best Defense is a cooperative board game in which players take on the roles of Rick, Glenn, Daryl, Michonne, and other characters. The Survivors must defend four key locations from Walkers – the Farm, the Prison, the Town and the Highway – in order to stay alive. The game board is assembled at random for each game, providing for variability in the locations; a 25-card resource deck – containing Equipment, Allies, Food or Ammunition – is placed at random on one of the locations.

Walkers and other calamities are triggered in different locations by a 48-card event deck (every card is unique!), which players draw from each round. They must then figure out how to minimize the effects of these events, using dice to resolve combat and determine the outcome of some events. They can work together to combine their combat abilities or split up to cover more ground. If the Survivors don't clear the Walkers out of a location, they'll lose resources – and if any resource deck runs out, the players lose the game. Thus, players need to keep the Walkers at bay while not using up too many resources themselves.

Unlike most cooperative games, The Walking Dead Board Game: The Best Defense includes a leadership role that player can take for one or more rounds – or even the entire game, if others allow him to do so. Each player character has a unique leadership ability that provides a bonus while that character is in charge.

The Walking Dead Board Game: The Best Defense includes two gameplay modes. In the "beginning player" mode, players share all information on their event cards so that the leader and others can take everything happening in the game into consideration. In "expert player" mode, players may not share their event cards, which means that leaders might make decisions that are detrimental to other players – but those players can defy the leader (for a cost) and make their own moves. Why would they do this? In addition to just trying to stay alive, each player has a secret "ulterior motive" card that specifies a mission for that player. If he completes that mission, then he wins the game, even if the Survivors as a group would otherwise lose.

I do have to say, I like the sound of this one. It sounds like they addressed some of the most common complaints about the first game (fixed board, duplicating cards, etc) as well as adding some interesting new touches (Leader, ulterior motive, etc)

I'm a little leery, but will check it out. The first one wasn't AWFUL. Makes an ok light filler or good game for non-gamers, but was a little dissappointing for a more experienced gamer. I need to download the fan made expansion material on BGG & see if it adds a little extra pizzazz to the vanilla game. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
05-31-2013, 04:31 PM
I think they need to take their time developing a game, did not like playing the first at all. The graphics and the name is what sold it. I'm tired of these types of "piggyback" games. I learned a long time ago, and I've been trying to teach my son this with his DS games, games based off of movies/TV shows generally suck, likeness and sounds of the characters but 0 on content and replay ability. I know this doesn't always stay true to every instance but the percentage is high enough for me to just avoid them altogether.

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2013, 02:49 AM
yep.. i thought the first one was a bit yucky. hard to play well. not well thought out.

if the next one is coop.. my 'team' may play it. they thought the 1st one bit the hotdog so to speak...

(05-31-2013 04:31 PM)friskers96 Wrote:  I think they need to take their time developing a game, did not like playing the first at all. The graphics and the name is what sold it. I'm tired of these types of "piggyback" games. I learned a long time ago, and I've been trying to teach my son this with his DS games, games based off of movies/TV shows generally suck, likeness and sounds of the characters but 0 on content and replay ability. I know this doesn't always stay true to every instance but the percentage is high enough for me to just avoid them altogether.