Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New board game project
12-02-2018, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2018 01:06 PM by rpgspree.)
New board game project
After playing LNoE, Zombicide, among others, I got ideas for game elements that I hadn't seen before (or not done well) so I decided to try and design my own. The basic premise is a small group braving a storm at night along a rural highway to find much needed supplies and shelter to survive the night. Things such as the storm and rain reduce visibility, which effects both melee and ranged combat. The current version has waves of zombies, but the basic setup can be expanded to alien invasion, post-nuclear apocalypse, etc.

One of the things I've been wanting is a more "interactive" scene. In movies, the hero/victim can dodge behind furniture or leap over the diner counter to escape a zombie. Find a locked door: they can search for a key, pick the lock, force it open, or break a nearby window and climb in. Once inside: they run for the gun or shut the door and push the desk in front of it. The scenery in every game I'd seen is mostly ornamental--proving little to no opportunities or actions for the player. I've been working on ways to add "depth" to the environment. Some have been implemented, other I'm still working out.

So far, I have an alpha version of the manual, most item and character cards are done (though the artwork needs to be redone), and some scene designs laid out. Character and zombie tokens, various bits like markers and the such to keep track of stats and actions.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2018, 11:16 AM
RE: New board game project
Hi. I'm just acknowledging that I've seen your idea here. It looks potentially good. Your cards read reasonably well, with a possibility of becoming too fiddly depending on how complex interactions between abilities get. (But we aren't afraid of fiddly things here, are we?)

I look forward to seeing a more complete version including a manual at some point. I don't know whether I'd put money towards it unless I was fairly convinced that the gameplay would be solid enough to hit my table occasionally, but I'm happy to give my opinion.
12-09-2018, 06:10 PM
Thanks Jeff. Now that you mention it, the gymnast has the most complected rules for abilities. The other survivors are easier. I've been working to streamline the ruleset and need to revisit that one. Obstacles are outlined on the board by type and barrier classes are marked as well. My main concern at the moment though is the number of markers required on the board. Hopefully when I get the next revision worked out I can figure that out in testing.

When all else fails...run like hell!
12-12-2018, 03:14 PM
Take a look at the light improve/RP-prompt game called Larceny for some possible inspiration. I'm getting that vibe from your goals.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2018, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2018 10:19 PM by rpgspree.)
(12-12-2018 03:14 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Take a look at the light improve/RP-prompt game called Larceny for some possible inspiration. I'm getting that vibe from your goals.

Improv was never really my thing. My game probably will have board(s) and/or tiles for the scenes and standup's for the characters, zombie, etc. I didn't post pics of the scenes yet because the alphas are all hand sketched on paper and I wasn't too impressed with the color test board. I've been working on a new design this week.

12-14-2018, 04:21 PM
I meant take a look at Larceny for inspiration. It could be useful for your "scenes" idea.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-17-2018, 10:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2018 11:04 AM by rpgspree.)
Here's a new alpha version of the farm house scene. Still isn't finished, but it should give a better idea of some of the concepts I mentioned.

12-20-2018, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2018 08:51 PM by rpgspree.)
I noticed several mistakes in the image above and fixed them. Also updated the legend for what the various lines and icons represent.

01-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Have there been any updates to this?
02-03-2019, 09:37 PM
(01-25-2019 08:05 PM)SenorOneandDone Wrote:  Have there been any updates to this?

Not lately. I need to update the scene and cards, but I'm having problems finding the resources I need. They're on my hard drive...somewhere.