Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New board pieces
04-14-2011, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2011 05:33 PM by Patient Zero.)
RE: New board pieces
I think with a whole city infestation, you really have more things to worry about than the timers... (It would have to be chucked.)

I know that one of the old Warhammer 40k questions was 'if you can't open up the building, how are you supposed to have your models fight in it?' This was solved by nuking the city so it was all ruins. I'm not sure how this would be worked out with what you were suggesting. I know that BGG had some interesting posts with cardboard cities but I'm not sure if one ever really did much with the insides 3D, some even on the LNOE page. As a 40K survivor, I think it would be easier to accept the multiple boards per layer solution. The model you suggest would be pretty cool though... It would probably be a great convention tool for FFG

Ooh, first scenario: get to the copper pad at the top of the corporate buildings roof: Elevators are out and all heroes start on the L-shaped tiles, rolling random for heroes with no initial starting position.

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2011, 08:11 PM
I suppose we need to be together in order for me to sketch it out for you. I think if FFG grabbed this and ran with it, that it would be such an industry novelty... it would sell just because of that. Looking at it a second time made me start thinking about stability, but I think I have a way to get around that problem also... and it can be done without drilling holes into the boards. Zombie17 Oh, I do believe that Battletech did solve the whole multi-floor problem for city fights. It's rather simplistic, but if you want to translate it over... I'm sure it wouldn't be all that hard. Basically, in BT, an infantry unit could move thru a building by using their move points to go up/ down, and it would be marked what floor they are on. My idea for a house rule for multi-floors would be to have the same layout, but when a figure goes up a level, place a d6 next to the with the level of the floor they are on shown on the die (pun intended). You might get figure clutter and run out of d6's in you are really ambitious, but it might also be a little better than having multiple boards laying off to the side "attached" to the building. No matter how we do it... it's gonna get bloody... and the action on the board should be exciting too. heh heh

I do like your first scenario. I have a second scenario for you. "Escape the building!" The heroes start on the roof because the copter doesn't work, and now they need to get out before they are stuck in the building...4ever!
04-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I don't know about battletech, but now that you have me thinking about it, GW's Necromunda back in the '90s had a really good system of plastic 'bulk heads that acted as most of the walls and such. If you just use a few of those bulkheads and some pillars to support the middle, it would accomplish the multi level floor plans you're talking about. They had a free form way of slapping the buildings for their 'urban industrial sprawl' the corporate building would be hard since any center board detail or building pick up text in the center of the building would be hard to see based on board size and distance between stories. Other than that it would probably work, but I have no idea how the people/zombies scaling the walls would be done (but I admit that is probably not that big an problem to overcome.

Necromunda: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/369345/necromunda

(I think this is the right link. It may move evertually).

"If we are very lucky and start running now we might get out of this alive or merely dead"
04-15-2011, 06:09 AM
I am such a sucker for pretty scenary. If they added it to LNOE somehow, I would definitely pick them up.

That Necromunda look's pretty cool. Kinda pricy though (just like all GW stuff, I guess).
04-15-2011, 11:32 PM
(04-15-2011 06:09 AM)vikinglad Wrote:  I am such a sucker for pretty scenary. If they added it to LNOE somehow, I would definitely pick them up.

That Necromunda look's pretty cool. Kinda pricy though (just like all GW stuff, I guess).

Necromunda wasn't AS bad as their other things since they've done since you only needed on gang of up to a 8 figures. The main game was $80ish and the metal gang figures were about $35 for the 8 figures and then you were pretty much done. There's a rumor among us fans that this was probably why they cancelled it.

05-15-2011, 11:52 PM
(04-11-2011 12:24 PM)Jarheadmartian Wrote:  How would multi floors look like on the board though? Is there potential to create a small board piece representing the upstairs floor and putting it on a stand over that building? Then pieces could be placed on both the downstairs and upstairs?
Or would you simply put a token underneath the piece in question to signify whether it's upstairs or downstairs?

I would make smaller (random) boards that could be set off to the side for what is inside buildings Zombie17, once your characters are on that floor you just move them over to that board and when they leave you put them back on the main board...
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
On the general subject of new board pieces, I've started playing around with creating my first one using Dundjinni. For the basic building layout it makes it a fairly simple process. The harder part is finding artwork to use as details to make the buildings come to life and look more realistic, so they're not just empty boxes with rules text printed on them.