Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New hero: Olaf Gudmundsson, The Apothecary
06-29-2012, 07:01 PM
New hero: Olaf Gudmundsson, The Apothecary
I’m working on a set of new heroes for A Touch of Evil, and I’d welcome any input. The base game primarily features heroes who are visitors and passers-through, but my set focuses more on residents, with a couple exceptions. I’m planning a healer, a merchant, an apothecary/alchemist, a silversmith, a retired professor, an undertaker, a rabbi, and Dr. Manning’s son Jacob. I haven’t play-tested any of these yet, but I hope to remedy that in the next week or so. Here’s the apothecary.

rL

Olaf Gudmundsson, The Apothecary

Olaf is the white-haired gentleman who operates the town apothecary. He sells medicines, candies, toiletries and tobacco goods. The town doesn’t generate much business, but that suits Olaf just fine as it leaves plenty of time for him to pursue his true passion, alchemy. His small stone home just outside of town serves as his laboratory and library, and he shares it with his twelve cats.

Wounds - 2
Combat - 2
Cunning - 3
Spirit - 3
Honor - 3

Transmute: For the cost of 2 Investigation, Olaf can sacrifice two items to attempt to transmute them into an item of his choice from any discard pile (successful on a D6 roll of 3+, sacrificed items are discarded regardless)
Perseverance: Once per turn, Olaf can re-roll all dice for a single Spirit or Cunning test
Smelly Salve: Olaf may heal himself at the cost of 2 Investigation per wound rather than 3
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-30-2012, 01:59 PM
RE: New hero: Olaf Gudmundsson, The Apothecary
I was disappointed to find out that Harlow Morgan, The Inventor from Hero Pack 1 has the same kind of ability as Olaf's Transmute. It's called Invention, and he can discard two items to take another item for any discard pile. So it's the same function, but it doesn't cost investigation and there's no risk of failure. Crap. I really like the Transmute ability thematically, so I'm going to tweak it to compare more favorably with Harlow's Invention ability. I'm going to keep the chance of failure, but make failure less likely, and I'm going to reduce the sacrificed items to 1. I'll leave the Investigation cost the same for now.

rL

Olaf Gudmundsson, The Apothecary (v2)

Olaf is the white-haired gentleman who operates the town apothecary. He sells medicines, candies, toiletries and tobacco goods. The town doesn’t generate much business, but that suits Olaf just fine as it leaves plenty of time for him to pursue his true passion, alchemy. His small stone home just outside of town serves as his laboratory and library, and he shares it with his twelve cats.

Wounds - 2
Combat - 2
Cunning - 3
Spirit - 3
Honor - 3

Transmute: For the cost of 2 Investigation, Olaf can sacrifice one of his items to attempt to transmute it into an item of his choice from any discard pile (successful on a D6 roll of 2+, sacrificed item is discarded regardless)
Perseverance: Once per turn, Olaf can re-roll all dice for a single Spirit or Cunning test
Smelly Salve: Olaf may heal himself at the cost of 2 Investigation per wound rather than 3
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply