Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
New scenario - Disturbed Minds
07-22-2011, 10:48 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2011 11:04 PM by elwatoplus.)
New scenario - Disturbed Minds
Hi everybody. I´ve had been working on a scenario with new mechanics for LNOE. You need the Growing Hunger Expansion in order to play it. As my previous scenario (Rescue at Dawn) I wanted to incorporate the 8 L-boards to make a massive one, and this time I wanted all the 12 heroes to be in the game.

After the rural town of Woodinvale was attacked by zombies, some of the heroes, unable to endure the horror, completely lost their mind. Four of the disturbed heroes positioned themselves in buildings around the town, with enough ammo to eliminate anybody in their range, zombie or hero.

GAME SET UP

Place the 8 L-shaped boards as indicated in the picture.

Randomly pick 4 heroes as normal, (those heroes are the ones that the hero players control), and pick 4 more heroes and place their character sheets next to the board (those are the DISTURBED HEROES and are controlled by both the zombie and the hero players, according to whom they attack).

Place aside the letter tokens, separate them in two piles, each containing the tokens A, B, C and D. Shuffle each pile. From pile 1 place one token (closed) on top of each of the DISTURBED HEROS´ character sheet. From pile 2 place one token (closed) on the following buildings of the board: Post Office, General Store, Bank and High School in the place indicated in the pictures.

From the hero deck put aside all revolvers (4) and pump shotguns (3), shuffle the cards and randomly place one (open) under each of the DISTURBED HEROES´ character sheet (see picture).

From the hero deck pick all the items. Put aside one set of keys and one card of gasoline. Shuffle the rest of the items (including other keys and gasoline cards); randomly and without looking at the cards place 6 item cards together with the keys and gasoline previously separated. Shuffle the 8 cards and put 2 cards under each of the four DISTURBED HEROS´ character sheet. The only way the heroes can get those items is by killing the disturbed hero. But be aware, they are armed with shotguns and revolvers and shooting at everything that moves! Reshuffle the remaining hero cards to form the hero pile, as normal.

When this set up is ready, open the letter tokens and place each disturbed hero miniature on the board that corresponds. Move the letter token to the middle of the building to facilitate the identification. To differentiate the miniatures of the disturbed heroes easily, you can place a “Search free” token under the miniature.

DISTURBED HEROES

The disturbed heroes never move from their post. Their special powers are not used; they just shoot from the windows following the rules of line of sight. They never run out of ammo. They shoot anything that crosses their line of sight in their range. Depending if they have a shotgun or a revolver their range varies from 2 to 3.

Keeping track of the line of sight was the most difficult part when I play tested the scenario, so I came up using the gems from the game “Incan Gold” to mark the spaces that were in range of the disturbed heroes. I plan to buy a bunch of buttons of four different colors to mark the line of sight (25 of each color would be enough). The markers proved to be a very useful and entertaining addition to the scenario.

The zombies are not as dumb as anyone may think, and they have learned to keep away from the marked spaces. Unless they are driven by Zombie Hunger, they must avoid stepping on them. The moment they stop their movement on a space marked, the disturbed hero shoots the revolver/shotgun, with the possibility of wounding the Zombie. At the beginning of every Zombie turn, all the Zombies on a marked space are shot once.

When a regular hero stops his movement on a marked space, both heroes (regular and disturbed) shoot their ranged weapons simultaneously at each other, only once. Depending on the die roll, both can get a wound. When shooting a disturbed hero, the regular hero does not have to roll a die to check if he ran out of ammo. Heroes can cross through marked spaces without been shot, unless they stop their movement on a marked space.

When a regular hero chooses to fight a disturbed hero with a hand weapon, the mechanics are the same as fighting a Zombie. However, the disturbed hero ALWAYS fights with two dice and no special power.

When a disturbed hero is killed, the gun and the two items that he had stay in the place where the disturbed hero was killed (the place is represented by the letter token) and remain secret. The only way to pick up the items and the gun is to stand on that space. In that moment the items are revealed and pass to the hero hand. The regular hero can continue his movement after picking up the items and the gun.

ROLLING A RANDOM BUILDING

The heroes start as indicated in their card, with the exception of the 3 students (Amanda, Billy and Sally). They start as Rochelle in a random building. The easiest way would be to use an 8 sided die (I used mine from Shadows over Camelot). However, if you just have the 6 sided dice, the way a random building is chosen is by rolling 2 dice. Number the boards from Left to right and from 1 to 8.

Roll----Board
2, 10--------1
3, 11--------2
4, 12--------3
5-------------4
6-------------5
7-------------6
8-------------7
9-------------8

Heroes and Zombies players do not get to choose a building. The buildings occupied by the DISTURBED HEROES are considered to be taken and no hero can be placed on them. Cards that affect those buildings cannot be played on them. Re-roll if one of those buildings is chosen.

SCENARIO OBJECTIVES

The objective of the scenario is to escape in the truck after picking up a set of keys and gasoline. It´s played on 18 turns. The zombies die when they kill their FIFTH hero (this way all the characters can play this scenario). Heroes win if the four heroes still alive get in the truck before dawn with the keys and the gasoline.

CONCLUSIONS

I found it very funny to have those black areas that the heroes and the zombies avoid. When crossing through them I can imagine the disturbed hero shooting at you, and you running and dodging the bullets. You can also use those areas in your advantage if many zombies are attacking you at the same time. The disturbed hero, while trying to kill you, can make you a favor of killing a couple of Zombies in the intent. Remember that Zombies have to move by Zombie Hunger, and you can drive a horde of them to the slaughter. That strategy can be costly to your hero, though.

I love to have basically all the characters in play. Sam with 4 lives would be the most difficult to take down, and you are risking that he probably won´t even have anything you need. Since there are only 7 guns in play (4 revolvers and 3 shotguns) it´s really necessary to kill at least one disturbed hero, because waiting for guns to be drawn is a risky strategy.

Since this is a variation of escape on the truck, it depends a lot on the luck. You could draw the gasoline and the keys at the beginning of the game and it would be easy for the heroes. However, you have fewer possibilities since in the best case scenario there is only two of each to be drawn since the disturbed heroes have one of each at least.

I really enjoyed this variation. Play test it and let me know what you think of it, I´m sure there is plenty of room for improvement.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2011, 10:56 AM
RE: New scenario - Disturbed Minds
I really got to get Growing Hunger soon
09-01-2011, 04:48 AM
in borat voice "very nice"
09-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Very interesting, i'm gonna give it a try, nice job on the photo explanation! Makes it easier to understand. Great job!

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.
09-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Thank you for all the hard work you've put into this I will let you know when I get round to playing it. Great explainations and photos.
09-03-2011, 03:51 AM
You just blew my mind. I just got LNOE on Wed and it took my wife and me almost three hours to play our first Die Zombie Die. This excites me so much. I want to play enough to be able to:

A. Play your scenario.
B. Make my own and share.

Thank you for the post, this creativity is awesome.