Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to the game: what to get?
04-13-2010, 03:56 PM
New to the game: what to get?
We've just recently discovered this wonderful game in my group (first time I've gotten my friends into something a bit niche, usually it's apples to apples, risk, scrabble, etc.) and we are absolutely loving it. Problem is I've been reading up, and can't quite figure out what I should purchase first to expand our game. I even see some "supplements" listed that I can't seem to find anywhere, and then all this talk of web scenarios I can find all over the place, but I only see the 3 on the ff page. I'm hoping I can get some advice on what's worth purchasing, and more importantly what we should get ad add first as to not unbalance our game. Also, if anyone could explain some of this "supplement" stuff and possibly where to find such items, I'd greatly appreciate it (if they are worth having).

Thanks in advance, and sorry if I'm just dumb and don't know how to search or something.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2010, 05:38 PM
RE: New to the game: what to get?
Every expansion, including the web-only expansions, are available on the Flying Frog website's store. http://stores.homestead.com/FlyingFrogPr...eFront.bok

As far as the expansions go, there hasn't been one I've personally been disappointed by. My two cents:

Growing Hunger is the single largest expansion, and it's a damn good one. It's also the single most expensive one.

The web-only-expansions are additional cards and scenarios (except for the Radioactive Grave Dead and expanded soundtrack, noted below), and they're a lot of fun, very affordable, but also add the least to the game. Still worth picking up. I find you get good value for them.

The Radioactive Grave Dead scenario has a new type of Grave Dead (which doesn't make sense if you haven't picked up Growing Hunger), and a new scenario. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The expanded soundtrack is one I picked up to be a completest. But I actually enjoy listening to the soundtrack while playing the game -- I think it adds a lot of ambiance. Plus it has a couple of fun additional cards. Still, if the soundtrack doesn't do much for you, this is one you might wish to skip, since you're only getting 2 copies of a single Hero card, and 2 copies of a single Zombie card.

Hero Pack 1 is specifically just new heroes. Still, they're good, solid heroes, and worth snagging.

Survival of the Fittest is fun. I don't have it yet, but I played with it a couple times, and am looking forward to grabbing it.

Zombies with Grave Weapons is intended to go along with Survival of the Fittest. It's not useful by itself. And the latter three were all released simultaneously.

So with all that in mind, I'd recommend Growing Hunger first, followed by the Hero Pack, Survival of the Fittest, and Grave Weapon Zombies, with the web-only supplements grabbed whenever you get the opportunity.
04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Growing Hunger first.
Then Survival of the Fittest.
Then Hero Pack 1.
Them Zombies with Grave Weapons.
Then (lowest priority) the web scenarios.

Almost the same order as Gavin -- I'd say SOTF before Hero Pack.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Growing Hunger is definately first. It adds a great bit of material.

I wish the rest of the supplements were presented in that way.

Zalgo....he comes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2010, 03:05 PM
I agree with the suggested order from MQS and Vike's comment as well!