Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to the game
02-13-2011, 03:56 AM
New to the game
Hello all!

As the thread title states I'm new to the board game Last Night on Earth and I have a question. We just got the game about a month ago, and while we've only managed to play four games it is definitely going to be a regular thing for my group.

I'm considering getting the Growing Hunger expansion, but all the games we've played we were using the basic rules so far(excluding advanced rules). This is because every time we have gotten together to get a new game, there is a new person, and since most of us are not regular board game players we start with the basic rules.

So, to state my question: Do you think we should upgrade right away, or should we get a few more games under our belt? Keep in mind about half of us are not regular board game players and it usually falls to me to be the rules keeper and arbiter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2011, 04:07 AM
RE: New to the game
First off: Welcome Aboard! Hope you have a great time here and enjoy your stay.

Secondly: Personally I want to tell you to not only upgrade right away but get everything! BUT... Honestly, I'd play a few advanced games first. Growing hunger does add a few things you can use in a basic game, like new heroes and L-boards... But that's about it for a "basic" game. So not worth the cost if you are still playing basics. Get a few advanced rules games going on and play a full game with all the rules first. Then go for Growing Hunger, and play all those added rules a few times. After that, GET IT ALL MAN! LOL Each bit adds something new to the game but once you have the Advanced Game down and Growing Hunger... Everything else is easy to add in anytime.
02-13-2011, 05:05 AM
welcome to the forums.

to awnser your question, if youve played four games i think its time to upgrade to the advanced rules. it shouldnt make things to difficult for you.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
02-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I would play advanced rules until your regulars are used to everything, then think about upgrading to GH. It adds more new stuff than the advanced rules do.
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Get GH (at once)..give yourself some time to learn it's additions so that when the group is ready you'll ready to teach them.
As others noted I'd start with the Advanced Rules & get everyone comfortable with these before going to GH.Again make
sure you have them down so as to introduce them smoothly.

Game noobies can still play Advanced Rules if at least 1 player knows whats going on .

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm planning to have the group over this weekend and I'll definitely get an advanced rules game going. I'll probably cave in and buy Growing Hunger, then read over the rules (thanks for the tip)
ahead of time.

Now that I think of it that's probably why our board games are so chaotic at first. Everyone insists we open the box and read the rules together, which in turn makes the first few games kind of slow and difficult. Here's hoping for a fun weekend.
02-15-2011, 12:28 AM
(02-14-2011 11:59 PM)DelNorte Wrote:  Thanks for all the responses guys! I'm planning to have the group over this weekend and I'll definitely get an advanced rules game going. I'll probably cave in and buy Growing Hunger, then read over the rules (thanks for the tip)
ahead of time.

Now that I think of it that's probably why our board games are so chaotic at first. Everyone insists we open the box and read the rules together, which in turn makes the first few games kind of slow and difficult. Here's hoping for a fun weekend.

you will not be disappointed with growing hunger, it has some great new tiles and heros in it. i bought and opened both at the same time so i envy you.

hope you have a Great time this weekend.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
02-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Welcome. Growing Hunger is really good and adds alot to the game. Hope you have alot of fun with the game.

Mistrunner
Death is Only the Begining.
02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Greetings Delnorte
Yeah go for GH once you're comfortable with the Advanced rules it's a 'must' in my eyes. Let us know how you get onWatchmen02