Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
08-07-2015, 08:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 08:57 AM by Raynor.)
Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
This Pretty Much Sums It Up

Really exciting for me that tons of random Gen Con go-ers got access to The Burrower... and the Ancient Guardian before me.

Really really exciting...

I mean, at this point I'm feeling there is really no point to the kickstarter. I mean I'm really glad it got the game off the ground. That's great, but I'm starting to feel seriously penalized for participating in it.

Showing up to Gen Con, I stood in line for an hour on Wednesday and was the 45th of 50 kickstarter people that day to get Caverns of Cynder. That felt good. It was nice to be able to go in and have a chance to claim the new expansion. But then I turned the corner of the booth and discovered "The Burrower" in all his horrific glory... and "The Ancient Guardian" in his solemn awesomeness, among other "Preview" boxes. It was a great surprise, but.... they weren't available to kickstarter members. I asked extensively. Yeah I was free to buy them, but there was no option for X kickstarter members to even get a chance at getting these guys.

So I was left with only one option if I wanted to go ahead and play with them now. I would have to buy doubles ... which I don't really want, of stuff I already paid for.

Why do I have to sit here and explain why this is stupid?

You know I've been very understanding and patient up until now with all the Frog's explanations and strategies to make money while still supporting the Kickstarter Campaign folks. I went to Gen con last year too and was not one of the one hundred blokes who got to pick up their copy of the game early. It didn't bother me. I don't know why, maybe because I had a chance to get it?

Whatever the case is... I guess I'm just feeling stupid for being a part of the kickstarter at this point. I could be playing with these awesome bosses if I had just waited and not pre-paid for them way back in the day. You know I wouldn't have even have had to stand in a special kickstarter only line for an hour and a half to get my copy of the new expansion and I could have even gotten my games a month or two early last year by NOT being in the kickstarter...

I show up to Gen Con and go to the Fantasy Flight Booth and feel like an All Star for getting to pick up the latest Lord of the Rings expansions 3-4 months early.

I show up to Gen Con and go to the Flying Frog Booth and feel like an idiot for supporting them on kickstarter.

It's a noticeable difference.

Oh yay I'm saving some money by getting the toys I bought shipped to me 6 months to a year after they are released to the public. I just spent $500 on a board game... Saving money clearly isn't my priority.

Edit: Please note I still love the game. I just wanted to voice some of my frustrations. I wouldn't have supported Shadows on kickstarter if I had not loved Flying Frog's games but I am starting to feel like a chump... and I don't like feeling like a chump. Feeling like a chump makes me irritable and being irritable with flying frog makes me feel guilty for feeling like a chump. Then because I feel guilty for feeling irritable about feeling like a chump I grow indignant because ultimately... I feel pretty justified in feeling the way I feel... Hence... this post.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2015, 10:44 AM
RE: Officially Irritated With Flying Frog...
That does rather SUCK, especially since they made Cynder available to backers. If the stuff is ready and paid for you
would think they have also have them available to backers.

I hope FFP is learning from this KS should they ever try another.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
08-07-2015, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 11:49 PM by mqstout.)
I'm with you. SOB has DESTROYED FFP, more or less. They're ignoring their other games, and they've been writing quite possibly the absolute WORST case study of bad fulfillment in all of Kickstarter [among those who haven't turned to vapor].

At least you find SOB fun. I find it dreadfully boring. (I'm glad I didn't back/buy it as a friend did.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2015, 12:29 AM
Well I enjoy SoB but I agree it ate FFP. It turned out to just be too
big a project for them to handle & their tied up trying to digest the
thing.

Sort of like those pictures of bloated pythons that swallowed a cow &
can't do anything but lay there.

I was surprised to see they are even producing new material beyond the KS
(Slugs/Hell Rats) they can't seem to get SoB under control, it's like
their Tar Baby.

OD

08-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Yeah it definitely sucks. We're going on 2 years here and we have no end in sight. I don't like where it's brought us, and will be glad it's over. Flying Frog used to be my go-to board game company but right now they feel more like an annoying family member I don't want to see too much of. And yes, it has eaten the company.

Sorry you don't like the game mqstout. I definitely count it among my favorite Frog games and maybe they'll learn from this Kickstarter experience or maybe they just won't do any more kickstarters. I don't know what I'd prefer. At this point it has made me very wary of ever signing up with them on a kickstarter again. It's not that I don't want to play the games, but the disadvantages to signing up for the kickstarter are outweighing any advantages.

Even the discounted cost isn't a decent argument. The kickstarter price was $150 for both games - $75 a game. They sell for $68.99 on Coolstuffinc right now.
08-08-2015, 07:26 PM
God I'm pathetic...I just ordered the Swamp Slugs & Hell Rats from FFP Web Store.

I's like..you know... I want to be complete (so SAD I know)

OD

08-09-2015, 05:14 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 05:19 AM by Raynor.)
Oh, I picked up both of em at Gen Con myself. I understand ya.

On record, I feel a lot better about the whole thing after complaining about it for a bit. It is irritating. I have acknowledged that I was irritated. It's really not that big of a deal. I'm moving on with my enjoyment of the game. Best to just enjoy what's out there without holding grudges for what you can't control. I watched a video of some Flying Frog coverage at gen con and they just reiterated how overwhelming it was/is.
08-09-2015, 09:38 AM
(08-09-2015 05:14 AM)Raynor Wrote:  . I watched a video of some Flying Frog coverage at gen con and they just reiterated how overwhelming it was/is.

I think I found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuE3NJ3AvAA

OD

08-13-2015, 02:06 AM
Yeah, that's about what I saw. Good stuff. Thanks for linking
08-25-2015, 11:50 PM
All my flying frog games are officially dust collectors on my shelf unfortunately. My friends and I have played them so many times and with SoB has consumed FFG so much that every game has become ignored and with no new expansions even on the horizon for LNoE or FanG or anything but DG it's really got me thinking of just culling them from my game shelf and either selling them on ebay or trading them in to a local game store for credit so I can grab some other games I will enjoy. This really bums me out because LNoE got me into board games and now the company I loved just ran head first into a brickwall called SoB that has just stalled them big time.