Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oh Dis Sure is a Treat
09-22-2009, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2009 02:40 PM by zombie67.)
Oh Dis Sure is a Treat
Sorry for the crap title but have just started playing the Solo HALO 3: ODST and I am really enjoying it.

I like that fact that as I am not a 7ft Tall, Armour Plated Killing Machine ala Master Chief, I am finding a more tactical way of playing.

As one of the producers of the game said you use the city more to your advantage and I have found myself actually skirting around enemies and flanking them.

Also, being a Firefly/Serenity fan, to have Mal, Jayne and Wash back together gain as voice actors is an added bonus...to the uninitiated that's Nathan Fillion, Adam Baldwin and Alan Tudyk .

So far so great.

Looking forward to trying out the Multi-player shortly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2009, 05:57 PM
RE: Oh Dis Sure is a Treat
That's sweet about the Firefly cast back together... such a great totally underrated show/movie...
I'm not sure if I'll pick this up for a while though. I haven't been gaming much lately.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2009, 04:01 AM
So far I'm a bit underwhelmed by the game....

I'm disappointed that it doesn't just have ODST multiplayer, deathmatch style. There is FIREFIGHT, which is the Halo version of Gears Of War Horde, but that's not quite the same. Why no version of Capture the Flag, or King of the Hill?

How cool would it have been to play as a ODST and seeing how long you could last against a Spartan?

The second disk contains all the maps for HALO, but I already had a majority of those. It's a nice addition, but seemed as if there were much more areas that could have been explored here.

The game 'feels' like an expansion pack for HALO 3, yet still commands a hefty full game price.

The single player game....I've only played through a little bit here. It's much too dark in areas, even with the 'VISR' equipped. And while I don't feel like the bad ass Spartan, I didn't quite feel like a 'rookie' either. Of course Helljumpers are supposed to be the 'best of the best'.

Also slightly disappointed in the Enemy AI. While this could get better on harder levels (I'm only on NORMAL) Several times, I saw a brute just running into a wall, like a sitting duck. Also, even after taking a few pot shots at the Covenant troops they conveniently forgot about me when I dropped into the shadows.

Take it all with a grain of salt, as I'm not too far into the game yet....Hopefully, my initial impressions will change. I'm a huge fan of the HALO universe, and really really WANT to like this game.

Zalgo....he comes.
09-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Interesting take on the game, SV.

I haven't noticed any "bad" AI like you mention. The thing of the Covenant forgetting you when you hide is something I've noticed in all Halo games, usually followed by a Grunt saying "There he is" when you shoot at them again.

As you know I agree with you on the lack of Multiplayer and as we agreed you should at least be able to choose to play as ODSTs rather than a Spartans in the Multi games.

After being initially underwhelmed by Firefight, I started to get into it a lot more as we progressed. I think if we can get a bunch of us playing it could be good fun.
09-23-2009, 06:37 PM
In all fairness, I did enjoy the little bit of firefight I tried.

Looking forward to more of that!

Zalgo....he comes.
12-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Wow...that's a decent chunk of Firefly-y goodness. If I didn't find Halo pretty meh in general, I'd be all over that. In fact, I might have to rent ODST some time just for that.
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
the music in the game is great.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
12-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Oooh, you know exactly what I like! *ahem* I mean, define great. Let me put it this way; did you consider Halo 3's music great? If so, our definitions vary somewhat, as the only piece that stood out to me in Halo 3 was the stuff that had been in previous games in the series.
12-03-2009, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2009 01:09 AM by deadrabbit.)
ummm not sure what your post means, you write in puzzles. but i dont remember saying the music in the other halos wer good, i said odst. the music in this game is an upgrade from the others. on the night levels it is crazy jazz and in the day its awesome rock music.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
12-03-2009, 05:11 PM
ODST didn't have enough of those cinematic moments that made Halo 3 feel so epic. The pacing of the single player campaign left me estranged. The rookie moments were slow, dark, quiet, and a film noir sort of feel, which I don't really appreciate. Then all of a sudden you're thrown into an action packed flash back that you hope never ends, because when it does, you're back playing the depressing rookie moments.

Firefight is where the money's at. I've only played it with one of my best friends; both he and I were once huge Halo fans, so fighting back to back made for an awesome night.