Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Opinions on "It's a Werewolf!"
10-13-2014, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2014 04:59 AM by mqstout.)
Opinions on "It's a Werewolf!"
I'd like other opinions on this Shocking Discovery: "It's a Werewolf!"

"Destroy an Ally from your hand or discard pile. You must then defeat this card as a Minion before doing anything else.
If you cannot defeat this card, Destroy it and discard your hand.
If you do defeat this card, Destroy it and take a Training card of your choice into hand.
3 Combat cost.

Someone drew it/had to play it with no allies in hand or discard. Does it autofail since there's no ally to destroy, or can it still be passed because of the interceding period?

We interpreted it as, if you had the three combat, you could defeat the card, even if there were no allies destroyed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2014, 12:43 AM
RE: Opinions on "It's a Werewolf!"
Haven't got the game yet but thinking of the wording and how we have interpretated similar rules in other games, I think you have played it as we would have. Even if you have no allies to destroy you can still defeat the card.
Find all posts by this user
10-15-2014, 03:31 AM
That was how we handled it. One way or another, there's a werewolf. If you have an ally, though, THAT'S the werewolf.

The Most Unread Blog on the Internet. Ever.: http://mostunreadblogever.blogspot.com
Roleplaying Game, Board Game and Card Game Reviews and Actual Plays
10-15-2014, 04:59 AM
Exactly as we interpreted it for flavor too, Tommy.
10-16-2014, 04:17 PM
I break it into steps.

"Destroy an Ally from your hand or discard pile." -- Do this, if you can. Either way, once you're done, move onto the next step.

"You must then defeat this card as a Minion before doing anything else." That is separate from the Ally destruction. If you defeat it, great; if you don't, darn.
10-17-2014, 02:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 02:27 AM by mqstout.)
Gavin, also my/our interpretation. But "THIS" in the second clause could refer to the discarded card for its antecedent, to some people. That interpretation also makes maybe more sense thematically: "No discarded ally? No werewolf to defeat. You can't go on."
10-18-2014, 02:29 PM
(10-17-2014 02:26 AM)mqstout Wrote:  ...But "THIS" in the second clause could refer to the discarded card for its antecedent,...

I'm not following this. What is the "discarded card" you are referring to? Is says to destroy an Ally, not discard it. It doesn't say to first defeat it, just flat out destroy it.

The "this card" has to be the Shocking Discovery card, as that is the only card remaining.

The card seems pretty linear. Straight forward in the steps you have to take.

Thematically; You are jumped by a werewolf. If you had a buddy with you he goes down immediately. If you are defeated as well you crawl off (miss your turn). If you survive the encounter you take it as training (one for experience) and keep going.

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...