Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Order for playing cards
01-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Order for playing cards
In what order are cards played? This seems to be a pretty important point but I don't see it covered anywhere in the rule book.

For example, if a hero is attacking a zombie, which of these is true:

1. The hero plays a card, and the zombie player gets to see what that card is, then can react by playing a card, then the hero can react to that and play another card if they want, etc.

OR

2. Both players state they are going to play x number of cards (without revealing what they are), then set them all down simultaneously.

In example #1 it would seem to be an advantage to know what you're opponent is playing so you can decided whether to counter they're card or hold onto your card(s) for later, which to me would seem to give the tactical advantage to the defending player.

Example #2 would seem to be a bit more fair, seeing as how neither player would have an advantage (not knowing what the other player has up their sleeve). Essentially this is how cards are played in the Game of Thrones game, but not sure if this is right for LNoE.

Please help!!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2009, 03:15 AM
RE: Order for playing cards
The way we have always played is that if it is the Zombie Turn, the zombie player(s) has the option to play a card first and then the hero player and is it is the Hero Turn, the hero player has first option.

We feel thematically this works best as whoever is doing that attacking (whose Turn it is) should have the slight advantage.

Remember, Starkadhr, that the zombie player can only normally play 1 fight card, whereas the hero player can play as many as he/she likes.
01-20-2009, 03:43 AM
I think it's strange that this isn't covered in the rulebook because depending on which method you use, I could see it altering the gameplay quite a bit.

Does anyone know the "official" answer? I looked in the FAQ and although they touch on this, I still didn't find a clear answer.

Neat game though! My wife and I are going to play a second time tomorrow night...hopefully we can get it figured out by then!
01-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I've seen no official answer, though I have seen hints that the creators don't seem to see much of a need for a strict order of operations, and I agree: play cards whenever you want, as you see fit. Whoever lays it down first, gets it. They WERE clear in rulings that you can wait until you see the effects of something (such as die roll results) before deciding. I let the dice see where the random "taken over" will go before Father Joseph has to make final call on squashing it or not.

The ONLY thing this (order of play) matters at all for are the few cards that say "immediately killed". Which, my group ignores the word "immediately" because of its lack of interaction.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user