Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Outdoor Encounters
03-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Outdoor Encounters
So I'm trying to complete an Artscow deck that involves all LNOE variant cards, including the Zombie Hero Abilities and Sun Track Cards variants that I proposed recently... I'm thinking that a nice additional thing to include might be for Outdoor Encounters.

These would be modeled after the encounters in Arkham Horror and A Touch of Evil, so perhaps if you end your Move action outdoors and there are no Zombies in your space, you roll a die and on a 1-2 you draw one of the Outdoor Encounters cards. They would range from good to bad for the Hero, probably skewing somewhat towards the bad... Some cards could be Items that would be found outdoors (rake, garden hose, etc.) that offer some special ability, some would be of the AH "A monster appears!" variety ("A Zombie digs itself up from underground and attacks!"), and some could involve various other effects or situations, ideally involving some kind of choice that pertains to the encounter (e.g. you can choose to either take one Wound or lose an Item; "if you choose to do something, then...").

I need about 14-16 of these to round out the deck. Any ideas?? I'm more concerned about the game effects, as I can add any flavor text later...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2010, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2010 05:50 PM by Lyude.)
RE: Outdoor Encounters
Something buried: Roll a D6. 1-2 pick up garden shears, 3-4 2 zombies appear, 5-6 you don't find nothing.

Toolbox: If 2 spaces next to the barn, garage, factory or plant. Pick up the first 1 hand weapon from the hero deck.
If 2 spaces next to the hospital or supermarket. Pick up the first item (not a weapon) friom the hero deck.
If you aren't near form those buildings the toolbox have nothing and you suffer 1 wound.

Climb to the trees!: During this turn you don't have to fight any zombie in your space. The next turn you have to descend from the tree, roll 2 d6. If any of the rolls is 2 or less you fall and take 1 wound. If not kill any zombie in your space.

Outdoor menace: The zombie player may put a spawning pit near a player. That player draw 1 card.

lawnmower: Item, it doesn't count as a weapon. You may move 1 additional space, while in the lawnmower zombies have to roll 3+ to fight against you.

Big rock: Item, two-hand weapon. Combat bonus: You can add one aditional fight dice. It slow down by 2 your movement. You can throw it at a zombie, hit on 2+, the rock will stay at the same square the zombie has been hitted and can be take it again. (can only be used by male heroes)

Park ranger axe: Combat bonus: win on ties as long as your hero is STRANGE. When you win a combat scoring ties you can draw a card.

Park ranger Scott: Event townsfolk. Range 4: Kill a zombie on range with a 2+.

Willy the gardener: Event townsfolk. Add 2 to any fight dice or prevent any hand weapon to break or add the handy ability to any one-hand weapon that hero have.

Scooter: Item, it doesn't count as a weapon. You can move +2 spaces but if you enter in contact with a zombie by moving, you fall, lose the scooter and take 1 wound.

It's so dark: Event, the hero must move directly into any near zombie.

mailbox: two-hand weapon. Instantly kill with 5+. Break with 1 or 2.

High-heels: Only usable by female heros. Item, weapon one-hand. When a zombie is fended-off throw a D6 with a 6 you kill that zombie instantly.
You can throw the heels, hit with 5+.
03-05-2010, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2010 06:54 PM by Grudunza.)
I really like a lot of those ideas! Thanks much. I'll reply with more comments later.

Please keep 'em coming if you have more ideas... What I'm planning to do is have this be a 12 card "deck", but have two different encounters on each card. Maybe the top encounter says "If the Sun Track is higher than 8:" and the lower one says "If the Sun Track is 8 or less:" or some kind of distinction like that. Or there could even be different distinctions like Hero types, where the top encounter says "Strange Heroes:" and the bottom one says "All Other Heroes:", or Building Types "If you are on the board with the Hospital:" for the top and "If you are on any other board:" for the bottom. That would allow for some nice customized encounters for certain things. I'm just trying to model this on Arkham Horror's system for cramming multiple encounters onto the same card, so I can get 24 encounters (or more, perhaps) onto only 12 cards.
03-05-2010, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2010 07:16 PM by Lyude.)
Oh Watchmen02 I haven't played arkham horror :S

Maybe you can pair some of the items together:

If your hero is male: Big rock

If your hero is female: high heels

then fit this two in one card, for example.

If I have more ideas I'll post them later Zombie03

--------------

Here some new ideas:

Signal post: Weapon, two handed. Combat bonus: roll an additional fight dice appart from the others, if you win the fight and get a 3+ throw the zombie 2 spaces away in the direction you want.

Boyscout: event heroic, only usable on male heros and if outside. During a turn the hero may double their movement or gain 2 extra fight dice. Remain in play until the hero enter a building.

Let's go to the bathroom girls!: event heroic, only usable on female characters. Use it when there are 2 girls on the same square, they can move together until they enter inside a building and can't be the target of bickering, this could be our last night on earth etc.. They fight zombies as normally. Remains in play.

Old trainers: Item, the hero may throw 2 movement dice and chose one of them.

Cricket bat: Item, one hand-weapon. Combat bonus: roll an extra fight dice for each wound your hero have. (don't count the wounded ones) For ex: If sam with no wounds, roll 4 extra dices.
Breaks with 1 or 6.

Clothes ropes: Event, play inmediately, put in any 2 x 2 square ropes with clothes. Any zombie in this space must roll 3+ to find and attack any hero. Remain in play
03-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Here are some of the proposed cards... Please keep the ideas coming!

[Image: LNOE_OE1.jpg]
03-07-2010, 09:42 AM
ok, here some thoughts about them:

In the cards where the movement rolls is 1 or 2, I'd do it 1-3 or 4-6, so the 6 numbers are covered.

The bicycle is a bit overpowered, you can move up to 12 spaces! maybe make it like the trainers roll 2 movement dies and choose the highest one?

Reaching up from beneath is the same as surprise attack but outside, maybe: a hand appear from the ground catching your feet, you can't move next turn.

I'll take your model and try to do some of them Zombie03
03-07-2010, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2010 10:32 AM by Grudunza.)
Lyude Wrote:ok, here some thoughts about them:

In the cards where the movement rolls is 1 or 2, I'd do it 1-3 or 4-6, so the 6 numbers are covered.

Well, the means I have for enacting these encounter cards is when a Hero ends their Move alone in an outside space, they make an "encounter roll", and on a 1 or 2, they draw an encounter card. So the problem is that I should change the text to say "If the Encounter Roll was a 1:" instead of "If the Move roll was a 1:"

Quote:The bicycle is a bit overpowered, you can move up to 12 spaces! maybe make it like the trainers roll 2 movement dies and choose the highest one?

It is a bicycle, after all. Those can be quite a bit faster than people can run, typically. I would have said +2 movement, but I didn't want to have to make explanations or clarifications about what happens with your movement points inside/outside (you wouldn't ride a bike inside). But I guess there's the question of what happens to the bike if you go into a building and come out on another side of the building. So maybe it should just be an Event card, in essence, that lets you take double movement outside for one turn only.

Quote:Reaching up from beneath is the same as surprise attack but outside, maybe: a hand appear from the ground catching your feet, you can't move next turn.

Yeah, I like that.
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:"If the Encounter Roll was a 1:" instead of "If the Move roll was a 1:"

Ok, I understand now your concept Zombie03

Quote:So maybe it should just be an Event card, in essence, that lets you take double movement outside for one turn only.

That's great

I write some more ideas:

If your hero is a student:

Agoraphobia: In the next turn:
Your hero must move towards the nearest building using all your movement points.

If your hero is an adult:

Adrenaline Rush: You can add +2 to your next fight combat dices or
You can move +3 spaces inmediately this turn.
--

If your hero is a student:

Teenager's Rage: During the next turn your hero can use an additional one-hand weapon (take it from the discard pile).

If your hero is an adult:

Human Lure: All the zombies must be directed to this hero during the next turn. (even if they are fighting against other characters).

--

If the drug store is in play:

Pills: The hero heal one wound instantly

If the drug store is not in play:

Dizzy: the hero feels dizzy, roll a d6. with 4+ the hero loses his/her next turn (if the hero has to fight against zombies, they can't use weapons and roll only 1 combat dice).

--

If the gym is in play:

Baseball star: Pick up the baseball bat.

If the gym is not in play:

Item: Hockey stick. Combat bonus: roll 2 extra fight dices and choose the lower one, It breaks with 1.

--

If the church is in play:

- A new hope: Your hero gain an additional fight dice until you lose a fight, if father Joseph you and other hero win the bonus.

If the church is not in play:

- We are fucked!: Your hero roll 1 fight dice until you win a fight, when you win the fight that zombie is killed (even if no doubles) and you gain a "new hope"

--

If your hero is male:

- Controlling the menace: Your hero can move the zombies in the direction he wants in the next turn.

If your hero is female:

- I'm surrounded! Put up to 3 zombies from your zombie pool surrounding the hero. That hero can call any other hero and be teleported instantly to her space.

Also, I put you again some of the other thoughts, take a look Zombie03

Signal post: Weapon, two handed. Combat bonus: roll an additional fight dice appart from the others, if you win the fight and get a 3+ throw the zombie 2 spaces away in the direction you want.

Boyscout: event heroic, only usable on male heros and if outside. During a turn the hero may double their movement or gain 2 extra fight dice. Remain in play until the hero enter a building.

Let's go to the bathroom girls!: event heroic, only usable on female characters. Use it when there are 2 girls on the same square, they can move together until they enter inside a building and can't be the target of bickering, this could be our last night on earth etc.. They fight zombies as normally. Remains in play.

Old trainers: Item, the hero may throw 2 movement dice and chose one of them.

Clothes ropes: Event, play inmediately, put in any 2 x 2 square ropes with clothes. Any zombie in this space must roll 3+ to find and attack any hero. Remain in play
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Lyude, I really appreciate all of your input. I think in some cases you're overreaching a little, though. I've been able to use several of the ideas, when tweaked a bit, at least, but many of them just seem too powerful one way or the other. But I can always edit things down, so keep it coming, by all means! I almost have enough now for the deck.
03-09-2010, 07:37 AM
More cards added... pic updated above. Please add any suggestions/comments.