Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painted Ash miniature from Evil Dead (look alike)
03-02-2011, 11:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 09:28 PM by samuraitrev.)
Painted Ash miniature from Evil Dead (look alike)
Hi Guys here we go again.

Please see my previous articles devoted to cleaning up your models, undercoating and essential tools.
If you're just starting off take a look here. http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...-Guide-Pt1 . I undercoated (let's call him Ash for no reason) in GW spray Chaos Black. Remember every paint used is mixed with a very small quantity of water to thin out the paint. Other wise your paint will be like blobs. This will obscure detail and look unrealistic. You want a smooth even finish. I know it may seem a chore to add a brush of water to your mix everytime but the results are worth it. Your paint will last you longer too. If your sitting there with your paints open constantly they're drying out. If you're not sure experiment on someone else's models... It's this easy. 1) using a pipette touch your palette/tile with a single drop. 2) Mix a loaded brush of desired paint it should have the consistency of milk (don't drink it no matter how good it looks). 3)Close your paint pot and go for it!

Basic stage
Flesh- Tallarn Flesh,
Hair- Chaos Black/Adeptus Battlegrey 50/50,
Shirt- Fenris Grey,
Trousers- Calthan Brown,
Boots- Charadon Granite,
Straps+ Gun Holster+Gun Forestock and Stock- Scorched Brown,
Belt- Adeptus Battlegrey,
Skull- Dheneb Stone,
Chainsaw handle+Blade and inner- Chaos Black2/3 + Boltgun Metal1/3, Chainsaw housing- Mechrite Red.
Chainsaw teeth+belt buckle+strap buckles- Chainmail

Wash/Inks/Shading
Flesh- Ogryn Flesh (allow to dry then use another coat)
Hair+Boots+Belt+Chainsaw Blade+teeth- Badab Black
Shirt- Asurmen Blue
Trousers+Straps+Gun Holster+Gun Forestock+Stock+Skull+Chainsaw Housing- Devlan Mud

I used Brown Ink under Gun Stock, Groin, Under Chainsaw and under Gunstock all the darkest places where hardly any light's gonna get to. When you're painting imagine the light shining upon your fig. in a realistic manner casting natural shadows...

Highlighting
Flesh- 1st Tallarn Flesh2/3 and Elf Flesh1/3 I've included these pics to show you the benefits of gradually layering your highlights on flesh for example. 1st Highlight.

2nd Add more Elf Flesh to the mix. 2nd Highlight.

Hair- Dry Brushed Codex Grey
Shirt- 1st Ultramarines Blue, 2nd Add Spacewolves Grey to the mix
Trousers- 1st Calthan Brown, 2nd Add Snakebite Leather to the mix
Boots- 1st Charldon Granite, 2nd Add Graveyard Earth to the mix.
Straps and Gun Holster- 1st Scorched Brown and Bestial Brown, 2nd Add more Bestial Brown to the mix.

Gun Forestock and Stock- 1st Dark Flesh, 2nd outline method Vermin Brown (just paint a very thin line on the edges where the light would catch)

Belt- Adeptus Battlegery+Codex Grey 50/50
Skull- 1st Dheneb Stone, 2nd add Skull White to the mix, 3rd Skull White on the teeth, left cheekbone and left upper eye socket.

Chainsaw Inner- 1st Boltgun Metal, 2nd Chainmail, 3rd Mithril Silver
Chainsaw Teeth and belt buckle and strap buckles- Mithril Silver
Chainsaw Housing- 1st Mechrite Red/Blood Red 50/50, 2nd Blood Red (Outline Method)
Extras- Buttons on Shirt- 1st Chaos Black, 2nd Spacewolves Grey
Eye balls- 1st Pray, 2nd Horizontal Skull White Line, 3rd Choas Black dot. Do both from looking straight at the model or he'll look insane or drunk!

For basing and varnishing tips check here http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...our-models
Here he is in all his glory!

Hope you enjoyed!
Questions and comments always welcome, happy gaming and paintingWatchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2011, 01:57 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2011 06:07 PM by vikinglad.)
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
Awesome mini, and great paint job Samurai! I especially liked the extra highlighting help this time. I am the worst at this, often times completely negating my wash! I am getting better, though. I will have to post some of painted figs so y'all can see them. I have been trying to follow Samurai's techniques, but have always used enamel paints, so it is a bit different.

This mini would go great witht he Ash hero card I just made! I will have to pic one up.

Download Vikinglad's Ash Hero Here!

[Image: normal_Ash_Williams_Hero.jpg]
03-03-2011, 02:22 AM
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
Freaking Awesome!
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
One word: SWEET!
ok...two words...Trev...that's it, you are officialy labelled as "Mad Painter" Watchmen02

I too struggle with the highlighting. I tend to use the oldes skool way and that was drybrushing.
But I will keep trying to go for the new style...in trial and error.
Got any more tips for us on that topic Trev?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Do you outline the rips in the shirt and pants in black as part of the Basic step?
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2011 03:36 PM by samuraitrev.)
(03-03-2011 12:59 PM)vikinglad Wrote:  Do you outline the rips in the shirt and pants in black as part of the Basic step?

Good question Vikinglad and this will help you too Emp I hope.
Another advantage of undercoating your figure black is that when you paint part of the fig. such as the shirt you don't paint right up to the flesh or the straps. Leave a small black gap. Patience and neatness is the key here. If you overlap and lose your black line. Don't panic I make mistakes too!

How to cover overlap mistakes
1) If you have GW black ink (I can't speak for other black inks) Just retouch on that black line. Should cover anything.

2) Or just use Black paint and re-draw a thin line.

Some painters disagree with black lining their figs. as people don't walk around with black lines all over them. This point has merit, but I think personally leaving the black line on black undercoated models (or painting it, which is harder and time consuming) gives the model striking depth. It makes the colours 'jump out' a bit more, and seperates the colours.

If you check out suzy http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...Hasslefree she was undercoated white and no blacklining was used. There are many techniques and I vary them depending on the model.

Black or White Undercoat/Black lining or not?
1) If your model is going to be brighter overall. e.g. lots of flesh/bright vibrant clothing. Then undercoat white. Black lining will look too obvious. Work your colours up let your wash be the dark line that seperates the colours. It's the subtlety path here my friends...

2) If your colours are darker (in general, like Ash ) and you want to go for a bold, striking result (who wouldn't for such a heroic fig.). Undercoat in Black. Paint your colours on, leaving the black lines. This method is arguably quicker because a lot of your shadows are already in place.

Hope this helped
Anymore questions hit me up, always happy to helpWatchmen02
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Awsome awesome awesome paint job, and great advise. Thanks for sharing!
03-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Amazing sculpt, and a beautiful paint job truly brings this mini to life. what was the total painting time?
03-04-2011, 01:03 AM
Utterly outstanding!
Great post!

Just say NO to 'house rules'.
03-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Is the gloss necessary to seal it? I like the first picture without it the most. Looks great liek everyone said.

"From the shards of tattered dreams, I rose - unwilling... Tossed upon tides of pain that flowed and ebbed and left me searingly awake. And more revoltingly - alive..."