Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painted Ash miniature from Evil Dead (look alike)
03-04-2011, 02:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2011 02:32 AM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
Hi thanks for checking this out

@Munkymuddface-always a pleasure

@phantomninja I didn't time every stage as I have done in previous stages, but I would say about three hours (I know that sounds like a lot, but think about it once you've got your fig. done it's sorted for all time). By the way if you'd like me to include painting times I will. I just didn't get much response before. Futhermore most people paint quicker than me, I'm slow.

@D153453D Good queston. First of all not at all. I don't use gloss varnish except when I paint on things like blood and swords to make 'em look wet or shine. Although nothing will give your models stronger protection with heavy gaming (getting dropped on the floor etc) than gloss varnish.

I use matt varnish myself. When you use any varnish it can make the overall colours look dull if you use too much. It's a balancing act. Yes you want to protect your models, but you also want to retain the maximum colours you've used. I've found that if you varnish your model fully with gloss it's much too shiny. Use matt it looks much more realistic in my opinion. Some people may disagree with advice I give regarding techniques and their opinions are welcomed. I have never professed my self as an expert, but we all walk different paths and I'm still learning tooWatchmen02

Hope this helps
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
RE: Painted Oakley by Hasslefree (Hmm looks a little bit like Ash from Evil Dead...)
What brand of varnish do you use?
I know have the Valejo Matt Varnish here. Wich I used on my plastic LNEO modells and that went bad. But I think for my metal figs that will not be a problem.
Or am I mistaken?

I always used White Skull undercoat. Like I said...old skool painter who has been out of it for several years. The can is empty now so I might try that black the next time.

Excellent help there Trev.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2011, 11:55 AM
(03-04-2011 08:39 AM)Emp Wrote:  What brand of varnish do you use?
I know have the Valejo Matt Varnish here. Wich I used on my plastic LNEO modells and that went bad. But I think for my metal figs that will not be a problem.
Or am I mistaken?

I always used White Skull undercoat. Like I said...old skool painter who has been out of it for several years. The can is empty now so I might try that black the next time.

Excellent help there Trev.

I always use GW spray matt varnish it's called 'Purity seal'. They also do a gloss spray varnish called 'Ardcoat'. I can't see there being any problems using Valejo matt varnish on your metal figs.

Just another point when painting over black you may find you need several coats especially when using colours like yellow or red. A good way to solve this (and save time) is to use GW foundation paints. You can paint them straight over black in one coat.
03-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Ok, thanks Trev.

03-05-2011, 02:56 AM
(03-04-2011 08:39 AM)Emp Wrote:  What brand of varnish do you use?
Or am I mistaken?

I also use Vallejo Matt Finish, I just finished four pewter models and are coated with two coats of this. It looks a tad shiny but I am going to hit it up with Dullcote to see what happen. Also, the finish made the models look like they were made of plastic, not a bad thing but pretty interesting if I say so.
03-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Hmm....not sure if I want my minis to shine...even a little bit.

03-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Thats exactly what I think as well. But I have not been able to locate a flat matte brush on varnish. Ive tried model masters, vallejo and ceramcoat. any one have a suggestion. @ Samurai....youre stuff is inspiring, I like your painting style. +thumbs up+
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
(03-04-2011 01:05 AM)D153453D Wrote:  Is the gloss necessary to seal it? I like the first picture without it the most. Looks great liek everyone said.

I see what D means now. It is almost like your wash was gloss this time. The basic step is nice and matte. Everything after that looks a bit shiny. I don't remember your other models looking like this. Was he wet when you took the pics?
03-18-2011, 10:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 07:34 PM by samuraitrev.)
I think I've got it. The reason the model looked shiny was, I took the shot before I'd added the spray matt varish (which really tones the shine down) unfortunatly all ready made inks and washes (for shading) have that shine the only way to avoid it is don't use them and water down your paints. That way would avoid any shineyness. However it's more time consuming and the colours aren't as sharp, they tend to look a bit patchy in my experience. Here's a photo after the matt varnish. Better?

I promise to take shots after the varnishing stage in the future I just got excited and wanted to post asap!Watchmen02
Thanks for the feedback guys.
04-03-2011, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2011 06:04 PM by vikinglad.)
I just went by my favorite local game shop, Game Kastle in Santa Clara, and they had this Oakley-Ash in stock. I promptly picked one up. Now I am going to paint him and Cartwright next.

I need to ask, because I am a noob at assembling these metal minis, how do I permanently attach him to the base? When do I do it; before primer even, if I plan to paint the base rather than glue the terrain on it? Also, how and with what do I attach his chainsaw arm and shotty holster? Thanks!