Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style
05-13-2014, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014 11:21 AM by aprillo.)
RE: How to apply a smooth layer of paint Samurai style
Well here's my first question, what type of paint is best for this. would basic acrylic paint do? Or is that like a big no-no. I presently don't have a job. so money's tight. that's kind of what got me on this site. I wanted more for LNOE but presently couldn't afford more expansions :P Definitely planning on buying them as soon as some income starts coming in though!

But yeah I kind of hope that it's not required to buy some sort of ultra high-grade paints or something :S

They're coming for us!!! ... Brains brains ... Ahhh somebody save-- ... Om nom nom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2014, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2014 05:03 PM by samuraitrev.)
(05-13-2014 11:14 AM)aprillo Wrote:  Well here's my first question, what type of paint is best for this. would basic acrylic paint do? Or is that like a big no-no. I presently don't have a job. so money's tight. that's kind of what got me on this site. I wanted more for LNOE but presently couldn't afford more expansions :P Definitely planning on buying them as soon as some income starts coming in though!

But yeah I kind of hope that it's not required to buy some sort of ultra high-grade paints or something :S

Acrylic paint is the way to go. I've been using them for 25 years (God how did that happen?) anyway.

Games Workshop
If money was no object I would go for Games Workshop. Yes they are expensive but their paints are great quality.
Volume: 0.4 fluid ounces per pot (12ml)
Cost: £2.40 or $4.04 per pot
Link: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Pain...6598808416

MSP (Reaper Miniatures)
A cheaper company I can recommend is MSP (Reaper Miniatures). I've been sent samples of this paint.
Volume: 0.5 fluid ounces per pot link (14ml)
Cost: £1.95 or $3.29 per pot
Link: http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors

Vallejo
I have used a few of these paints as samples in the past. They come highly recommended by many painters.
Volume: 0.6 fluid ounces per pot link (17ml)
Cost: per pot about £1.75 or $2.95 (as far as I'm aware though they can only be bought in sets)
[b]Link: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/mo.../family/15

Now who to go with? I can only tell you from my experience. I use GW mainly because that's what I've always used and I've never had a problem with their paint range. Plus I'm not prepared to shell out for another entire range. If I were just starting out and I was on a budget I would probably go for Vallejo if I were you.

Vallejo Paints
Pros
Cheapest paint.
More Paint per pot.
High quality and well recommended.
Largest range of colours.

Cons
May be hard to get hold of in your local hobby shops. Online should be fine though.

Happy gaming and I hope this helpedWatchmen02 (took me bloody ages!Zombie17)
05-14-2014, 12:27 PM
(05-13-2014 04:59 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  
(05-13-2014 11:14 AM)aprillo Wrote:  Well here's my first question, what type of paint is best for this. would basic acrylic paint do? Or is that like a big no-no. I presently don't have a job. so money's tight. that's kind of what got me on this site. I wanted more for LNOE but presently couldn't afford more expansions :P Definitely planning on buying them as soon as some income starts coming in though!

Acrylic paint is the way to go. I've been using them for 25 years (God how did that happen?) anyway.

Games Workshop
If money was no object I would go for Games Workshop. Yes they are expensive but their paints are great quality.
Volume: 0.4 fluid ounces per pot (12ml)
Cost: £2.40 or $4.04 per pot
Link: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Pain...6598808416

MSP (Reaper Miniatures)
A cheaper company I can recommend is MSP (Reaper Miniatures). I've been sent samples of this paint.
Volume: 0.5 fluid ounces per pot link (14ml)
Cost: £1.95 or $3.29 per pot
Link: http://www.reapermini.com/Paints/corecolors

Vallejo
I have used a few of these paints as samples in the past. They come highly recommended by many painters.
Volume: 0.6 fluid ounces per pot link (17ml)
Cost: per pot about £1.75 or $2.95 (as far as I'm aware though they can only be bought in sets)
[b]Link: http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/mo.../family/15

Now who to go with? I can only tell you from my experience. I use GW mainly because that's what I've always used and I've never had a problem with their paint range. Plus I'm not prepared to shell out for another entire range. If I were just starting out and I was on a budget I would probably go for Vallejo if I were you.

Vallejo Paints
Pros
Cheapest paint.
More Paint per pot.
High quality and well recommended.
Largest range of colours.

Cons
May be hard to get hold of in your local hobby shops. Online should be fine though.

Happy gaming and I hope this helpedWatchmen02 (took me bloody ages!Zombie17)

Yeah it definitely does. Very encouraging news! This might make you cringe but anyways... i have some dollorstore acrylic paints already as i enjoy painting as a hobby. Obviously their not top grade, but their the best you can find at any dollorstore! :P

Ill do a trial run on one of the minis for a character most of my group dislikes. If its really bad then i consider investing some coin in this project. But who knows maybe ill get lucky and wont have too!

Ill let you know how it goes when a get around to it. But ofcourse right now most of my spare time is dedicated to the Lost expansion. Zombie03

They're coming for us!!! ... Brains brains ... Ahhh somebody save-- ... Om nom nom