Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painted Variant Zombies with Grave Weapons (More figs. added 01/07/12)
03-26-2011, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 11:25 PM by samuraitrev.)
Painted Variant Zombies with Grave Weapons (More figs. added 01/07/12)
KEEP SCROLLING THROUGH THIS THREAD THERE'S GRAVE DEAD OF EVERY TYPE

Greetings humans this is Samurai writing from a dank tomb somewhere underneath the Dark Lord Sarku's Black Fortress.
Check out my new stuff I bought from Heresy. The Heresy Zombies only cost me £10 in total. That's only £1.25 a figure. Almost giving them away. These zombies are a cheap and great way to add variant Grave Weapon Zombies.
Those with the red bases are GWZ's so that new players can distinguish them.
I also have a new rule for myself. If the Zombie fig is naked then they're getting painted putrified flesh.
If they have clothing that hasn't rotted away then I will paint them with blueing dead flesh. Works for me!

First off the 'Sickle' GWZ and YES that is a rat eating his guts. I have made all their weapons covered in rust. Stipple on (over Black) Scorched Brown then Vermin Brown then Blazing Orange and the odd line of Chainmail. Hey presto, Rust.

Next up the torn in half 'Crawling Torso'

Here's 'Rusty Axe'

Next up a Zombie with an 'Explosive' personality! This model originally had horns at the side of his helmet. I just snipped 'em off and made him look like a military guy who perhaps died during the last outbreak. I used a piece of wire and piece of cotton to make the stick of dynamite.

Next we have 'Stench of Death' zombie.

Here's another 'Stench of Death'

This guy's just a standard Zombie

So is he

Hope you enjoyed lookin'. Can't wait to game with them (They took me all day yesterday and a bit of today)

If you like these miniatures buy them here http://www.heresyminiatures.com/undead.htm

Comments/questions welcomeWatchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-27-2011, 08:54 AM
RE: Painted Variant Zombies with Grave Weapons by Heresy
To be honest I just don't like the concept of zombies with weapons, for some reason I never bought any just because they have weapons.
It's just probably just my point of view on what zombies do...I just can't see them handling weapons or other stuff in a way that they could effectively hurt people.
But that is beside the question and maybe something we could discuss in another topic.

Great job there Trev. It does look like you have been drybrushing these more than what you normaly do on, let's say the Ash figure?

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Well spotted Emp yes all these zombies were drybrushed because I wanted them done quick. I'm happy enough with them though.
Yeah I know what you mean Zombies should not be able to use tools/weapons. The use of them implies they have some rudimentary form of intelligence which I don't buy in to.
03-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I can buy into zombies having "animal" levels of intelligence, which includes some basic tool use. Zombies with weapons, though, are usually shown using them either badly (they just never released their grip on it) or using it via "muscle memory".
03-28-2011, 06:39 AM
(03-26-2011 05:13 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  Hope you enjoyed lookin'. Can't wait to game with them (They took me all day yesterday and a bit of today)

Man, it would take me two months to paint this many dudes. Nicely done. One of my buddies recently started drybrushing his LOTR minis, and they are coming out pretty good too. I think I may try a bit of that next time. I like the torso best. He looks like he would have a banana peel style effect if stepped on.
06-29-2011, 12:43 PM
RE: Painted Variant Zombies with Grave Weapons by Heresy and others
The first guy's by Four A Miniatures the next two are metal GW figures if you recall these are the two I stripped all the paint off in a previous article. These are Bloated Body, Pitchfork and Rusty Axe Grave Weapon Zombies.

Check out his bad leg, sorry if you just ate...

I've now got 10 ZGW in total (12 to go!).
07-01-2011, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2011 07:03 PM by samuraitrev.)
RE: Painted Variant Zombies with Grave Weapons by Heresy and others (More figs. added 1/7/11)
Het there more Zombie goodness for ya

First off these two were Sheriff Anderson's fellow officers. They don't look too well...

Recently Dead.

I had to reposition (bend) his left arm and wrist. This guy was carrying a gas canister when he got munched on and still has hold of it!

Explosive

I found these in my bit box and thought I'd paint them up and use them for LNoE Gasoline markers. They are Warhammer 40K vehicle spares. They're slightly off scale but I think they're usable.

07-01-2011, 05:40 PM
RE: Painted Variant Zombies with Grave Weapons by Heresy and others (More figs. added 1/7/11)
(07-01-2011 04:52 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I had to reposition (bend) his left arm and wrist. This guy was carrying a gas canister when he got munched on and still has hold of it!

Just bend, or do you cut and re-attach? I remember using some green stuff to re-position my figures when I was getting into 40k. I hated the idea of having any pieces in the same pose, so I would often cut off hands and arms at will to have their guns pointed in random directions, or just held to the side. Even managed to re-position a rocket launcher-carrying chaos unit so he was kneeling. Fun times hehe.
07-01-2011, 07:07 PM
(07-01-2011 05:40 PM)atramagus Wrote:  
(07-01-2011 04:52 PM)samuraitrev Wrote:  I had to reposition (bend) his left arm and wrist. This guy was carrying a gas canister when he got munched on and still has hold of it!

Just bend, or do you cut and re-attach? I remember using some green stuff to re-position my figures when I was getting into 40k. I hated the idea of having any pieces in the same pose, so I would often cut off hands and arms at will to have their guns pointed in random directions, or just held to the side. Even managed to re-position a rocket launcher-carrying chaos unit so he was kneeling. Fun times hehe.

In this case all was required was a bend. The next time I add to this thread (model wise) you will see models that have been pinned and with greenstuff. They're already undercoated just waiting for a paintjob...
07-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Nice work Trev. Once again your colors are amazing.

I am the reason God stopped watching.