Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Painting Beli'Al (SoB)
10-06-2014, 05:59 PM
RE: Painting Beli'Al (SoB)
Personally, I have not yet gotten into basing my miniatures. So far, I've mostly only painted Zombicide miniatures. (I've also painted 6 metal clown miniatures and 10 of the zombie clowns from the Zombies!!! Bag o' clowns.)

Those are already on a base, and I tend to just leave them on that base. I also have not yet bothered to do much of anything to the bases. The original zombies start gray, and the priming process I use (black first then white) makes them gray again anyway. So, those bases I leave as is. For the Toxic and Berserkers, I just paint the base back to a color close to the original color.

Sometimes I splash some blood on the base (or green slime in the case of the toxic zombies) but other than that I haven't done much with my bases.

I may in the future, though. I've seen some pretty cool stuff people have done so it seems like fun.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 04:52 PM
By basing do you mean priming?

I had a couple recommendations for priming when I started. I tried black and really disliked the results. Then I just spray painted a gray generic and I felt it worked much much Much better.
10-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Basing is the process of making the base as much an art form as your painted figure. More than just painting it, you add texture and/or other items to give it life.

As stated earlier, priming (or base coating) prepares your model for the actual paint. A primer is usually able to adhere to the model better than your paint and also provides a good surface for your paint to adhere to. My favorite technique is to base in black and then dust with a white. This provides a little pre shading as well as defining the areas better while you paint.
10-12-2014, 07:37 PM
I find that I like a Black prime in larger miniatures (25mm+) but for smaller figures I go with
grey as Black on smaller models can obscure details.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-12-2014, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 08:51 PM by SpoKnight.)
You've seen this OD.. but ... Here. :P

*CLIP*
Light coat of white primer. Usually from the spray can or airbrush. I often go one step further and choose a light source location and add a bit more.

Pre-Shading and Pre-Highlighting your Miniatures,…: http://youtu.be/k3cPRJG47sM

I usually do just black and white.

*Paste*

Some useful information. But boring. Check 6:11 if you can't stand listening to him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxc9WX2INp4

And just for added tutorial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnNYyXhZrbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJn79NfivI

Plus all the ones our resident TZG painter has provided.
10-13-2014, 06:40 PM
I personally love the black primer then white primer method that my gaming buddies taught me. The miniatures actually come out looking even MORE detailed than they were before you primed them. It makes it even easier to paint the different details. As others have said, it also adds a shading effect if you just "dust" the white somewhat. In other words, cover them completely in the black, but then not completely in the white. You leave a little of the black parts as a sort of dark gray for the sake of a shadow effect. Looks really cool, especially if/when you use shades instead of solid colors.

But, the "basing" we were talking about was making the actual bases something neat too. Some people add a little scenery or something.
10-15-2014, 01:22 PM
oh wow. Totally new idea for me. Big world of painting.