Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Party game fun night extravaganza!
11-06-2013, 03:34 AM
Party game fun night extravaganza!
We all get that feeling, right? The need to convert the non-gamers of the world to our point of view. This is my attempt.

I'm planning a large scale game night for between 8 and 12 people. About half of them will be gamers. The other half will likely hear "victory points" and start edging for the door. I need some advice as to the meat of the event. Here's what I have so far:

Cards Against Humanity
I need a light game to start off with. Something that people can just jump into as they arrive. It's non competitive (hopefully), and the rules are simple.

Werewolf
Print and play, basic rules with me acting as moderator. The mood will be set with candles, Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtrack, and cups of stew being served. As people die, they will be allowed to watch from the kitchen/graveyard, and may talk quietly, but not about the game and not during the night sequence.

Two Rooms and a Boom
Is it weird to hold half of your party guests in your bedroom? This is another print and play game with hidden roles. One team has a president, and the other team has a bomber. Three rounds of hostage exchange between two rooms, and if the game ends with the bomber in the president's room, the bomber's team wins. If not, the president's team wins. The game is timed, and shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

The other three games I'm considering are Ladies and Gentlemen, Mascarade, and Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. L&G is by all accounts hilarious and only 30 minutes long; my only concern is that it might be a bit complicated for non-gamers. Mascarade might be fun if I can get people into it. EftAiOS says it only fits 8 players, but I don't see why it couldn't work with more.

What do you think? I haven't played any of these games first hand, but I'll have the rules down by game night. Any tips for setting the proper atmosphere? Any games I'm missing?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 01:41 PM
RE: Party game fun night extravaganza!
I also always like to start with something light. I have found that CAH doesn't work well for that, though, since it doesn't have any definite ending and oftentimes people will just want to keep on going. It is good as an ice-breaker/warm up otherwise though. How do you plan to enforce the transition?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 03:02 PM
texas zombies is another good quick story telling card game.
11-07-2013, 01:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 04:03 PM by Mello Man.)
Quote:How do you plan to enforce the transition?
With violence!

That's an excellent point. I hadn't really given it any thought. I suppose by setting places at the table with cups of stew as well as the role cards for Werewolf. That should make people curious, right?

Starting with the quick crack fix of hilarity that is CAH may not be a good idea after all. While I'm trying introduce games with more tension, I don't want people looking longingly at the CAH deck. Perhaps something like Toc Toc Woodman is in order. It's another silly game, similar to Jenga, where you try to knock off the sides of this plastic tree with a toy axe. It's simple enough that it should grow boring after a few quick games.

I've never heard of Texas Zombies before. Does it work with 10 people? I'll look into it.
11-07-2013, 02:26 PM
for a fun card gamethat gets hilarious.. lookup flapjacks ands asquatches

http://www.flapjacksandsasquatches.com/