Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
People's feelings on "Necro-Posting?"
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
People's feelings on "Necro-Posting?"
Again, not sure if this was the right place to discuss this, but I wanted to get people's thoughts. Being new here, I wanted to ask people's general feelings on so called "Necro-Posting," here on the board.

Necro-posting is when somebody posts on very old threads that have long since been burried by newer threads. Personally, I've always felt there is a distinction. I've always felt that, within reason, it is okay. In other words, if you are Necro-posting with short posts like "Cool," or something like that, then that to me is a waste of everybody's time.

If you are actually adding something to the conversation, then I don't see a problem with it. Especially, when you consider new people join forums all the time. How are they ever going to discuss things if it is taboo for them to go back and look at old posts?

However, I wanted to get everybody's thoughts here. Since I am new, I was hoping to do just that. I wanted to look back through as many posts as I can find to see where I may want to add to the discussion. Obviously, only where I actually have something to add, and not just pointless one word responses.

I wouldn't want to do that, though, if it is generally frowned upon here. So, what is everybody's stance on this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: People's feelings on "Necro-Posting?"
I am also new here and I agree with you 100%, I love that old threads can be revived but only when its actually adding to it and not just posting because you happened to read it while browsing a new forum. It just seems like a lazy way to get a post count up.
06-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Personally I think it's fine so long as what you're resurrecting the thread for is relevant.
06-11-2012, 08:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012 08:14 PM by mqstout.)
There's no problem with it. In fact, it's better to bring back an old thread than start a new one that's the same. (I'm actually always annoyed by other forums that are NO NECROPOSTING and then lock any old threads that come back.)

Note, I am going to move this to the appropriate forum though Watchmen02
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Valuable information lies hidden in the depths of this place and I like recycling, so I say use it. After all necromancing is what we do best. Bring back the Dead Watchmen02

"It's the smell... it's driving them CRAZY!"
06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks everybody! Glad to hear it! I shall proceed, posting on old threads and new... but only on old ones if I have something to add to the conversation. ;-)

BTW, thanks mqstout, for moving my thread to the correct board. I am still learning about all the various sections of these forums! :-)
06-12-2012, 12:04 AM
OK Freshly dead guys dig deep in the forgotten lore. Let's see what lurking horrors you can find....
06-12-2012, 06:15 AM
I have never seen anyone get railed for necro'ing an old thread here. I like seeing the old ones come up again.
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
If the addition is relevant to the original topic, i am all for it.
Those of us who may not know what the issue is refrencing will have the older content available to catch up with.
06-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I agree and I own the joint. Which, I'm happy to say, will be around for another year!

Woot!!!

Post count doesn't matter much on these boards anyhow. It's content, not quantity, that counts.

Sarku Kolumel Mitlan
Sarku Mizhandalisa
hitlokiriqaluya
Tika dalisa hiqurutuplanwisu
Kolumel hibarsrimyal
Mringudhalisa hifatlandalid hadisayal Nga