Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Played my first game tonight.
02-27-2009, 04:03 PM
RE: Played my first game tonight.
Glad you are enjoying the game! And I agree that the soundtrack is great and DOES add to the gaming experience. I liken it to the horror movie scores of the 1980's for those B-Movie Zombie flicks. And both the game and the music capture that explicitly. We use other music as well but we always play the LNOE score first and then rotate back to it.

The game SHOULD be hard for the Heroes. And it has been for our group when we get together. My brother plays the zombie hoard and destroys us just about everytime. In the handful of games we have played since I built the 3D Woodinvale (still working on it) the Heroes have won once and have been so close on other occasions.

The game is a lot of fun and I am hoping to get back to playing it again once the community theatre production I am in is done next week.

"Dead is Dead. Parts is parts. Dead guys is parts."-Ripperjack.

"When There Is No More Room In Hell, Paul W.S. Anderson Films Walk The Earth."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I think it was the third or fourth play through, where all the rules sorta 'sunk in' for me. That is when the game reached all new levels for me.

Every once in a while, the game will be one sided, but most games have been a fight to the finish, one dice roll or fight helping turn the tide....Very very cinematic.

As to the CD...I don't mind it at all...it drones on in the background. I got Sarku's CD, and its very nice.

I still think it is a killer touch to even add the CD....just gives it that extra bit of 'value'....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-28-2009, 10:02 AM
I just finished up game four, another attempt at the "Die Zombies, Die!" scenario. As expected, this game is titled:

No Chance in Hell 3: Scenario Doesn't Matter; The Heroes Will Die!

Sheriff Anderson and his son, Billy, showed up for the disaster along with Sally and Jake the Drifter. This time around I had a lot more strategy than before. All the effort I've been putting in is finally paying off, or it would be in a balanced game. The characters got some decent weapons (not that it mattered) and the Sheriff showed us why even the broad side of the barn isn't afraid of his shooting prowess. I did manage some awesome combos of keeping a cornered Jake alive, bringing him back to full health and obliterating all the zombies attacking him with a shotgun blast. Too bad his astounding heroics counted for nothing as the Sheriff and Sally became zombies and the game ended.

Once again it came down to the sheer overwhelming power of the zombie cards. They're just too effective against the heroes. With all of their "Play Immediately" and "Remains in Play" effects coming out one after another, the only way the heroes could ever win is if the zombie player is illiterate and/or in a coma. After four games where the heroes don't come anywhere close to winning, I'm really starting to think this game was not play tested. At all. Sure you can say that it's supposed to be hard for the heroes, but if that's the case then the zombies shouldn't be human controlled. In human vs. human encounters, games are supposed to be balanced. What's the point of having a side that only has a 10% chance of winning, if even that high? An idea I'm considering right now is to limit the zombie player to a 3 card hand and never allow them to hold more than 3 at one time. I might start trying that to see if that lifts some pressure off of the heroes so maybe they can at least have a chance. And the whole "zombies win if 2 players die" thing in Die Zombies, Die is just ridiculous.

Still the game atmosphere is nice, the CD is great, and the production quality is amazing. It just doesn't feel like anyone bothered to see how the game actually played before they finalized the rules. They can't seriously have wanted it to be this way.
03-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I understand your frustration. The heros are difficult to play, and have a tough uphill climb.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2009, 09:47 PM
So our the zombies running away and hiding from you, chasing you, or gathering in huge groups in town square to attack you when you come after them?

n107 Wrote:I just finished up game four, another attempt at the "Die Zombies, Die!" scenario. As expected, this game is titled:

No Chance in Hell 3: Scenario Doesn't Matter; The Heroes Will Die!

Sheriff Anderson and his son, Billy, showed up for the disaster along with Sally and Jake the Drifter. This time around I had a lot more strategy than before. All the effort I've been putting in is finally paying off, or it would be in a balanced game. The characters got some decent weapons (not that it mattered) and the Sheriff showed us why even the broad side of the barn isn't afraid of his shooting prowess. I did manage some awesome combos of keeping a cornered Jake alive, bringing him back to full health and obliterating all the zombies attacking him with a shotgun blast. Too bad his astounding heroics counted for nothing as the Sheriff and Sally became zombies and the game ended.

Once again it came down to the sheer overwhelming power of the zombie cards. They're just too effective against the heroes. With all of their "Play Immediately" and "Remains in Play" effects coming out one after another, the only way the heroes could ever win is if the zombie player is illiterate and/or in a coma. After four games where the heroes don't come anywhere close to winning, I'm really starting to think this game was not play tested. At all. Sure you can say that it's supposed to be hard for the heroes, but if that's the case then the zombies shouldn't be human controlled. In human vs. human encounters, games are supposed to be balanced. What's the point of having a side that only has a 10% chance of winning, if even that high? An idea I'm considering right now is to limit the zombie player to a 3 card hand and never allow them to hold more than 3 at one time. I might start trying that to see if that lifts some pressure off of the heroes so maybe they can at least have a chance. And the whole "zombies win if 2 players die" thing in Die Zombies, Die is just ridiculous.

Still the game atmosphere is nice, the CD is great, and the production quality is amazing. It just doesn't feel like anyone bothered to see how the game actually played before they finalized the rules. They can't seriously have wanted it to be this way.