Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Player Vs Player Vs Zombies
11-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Player Vs Player Vs Zombies
heres some rules that ive come up with for have PvP vZ games.

* fights between humans would be normal, both heros would roll both dice and the player with higher dice would wound the other player. if the dice are a tie no damage is dealt and it does not count as beating in a fight. unless your johnny, or have a crowbar and you would gain the wins on ties ability.

* if both heros win on ties then it cancels out both cards.

* ranged attacks are normal but the bullets only do one damage and do not instantly kill.

* if a hero kills a hero it will not into a zombie hero.

* hand weapons and items that target zombies also may target heros, but event cards that target zombies may not be played on heros

this is just some stuff ive thought up (not tested yet) that would fix problems caused by hero vs hero fights.

any other ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2009, 05:35 AM
RE: Player Vs Player Vs Zombies
This is an interesting idea, but there would need to be a scenario behind it, and it would require at least at least a 3 player game so that humans could battle each other as well (Obviously wouldn't work if one player controlled all 4 heroes.)

I think it would work well by slightly modifying the Escape in the Truck scenario. However, in this P vs P vs Z level, the players are competing for the truck.

This is purely off the top of my head, so let me know what you think.

Whether it's 3-6 players, there should be two "teams" of heroes competing for the truck, each team made up of two heroes. If it's 3 players, then one controls zombies, 1 controls the one team of heroes, and 1 controls the other. If it's 5 players, then 2 players will collaborate with each other to bring down the other two players... (And so on, you get the idea.)

Both of these teams are competing to get the truck out of town, and thus will do anything necessary to gain the rights to the truck (thus, kill their fellow citizens in this zombie-crazed world)

The teams would have to start equally close to the truck on opposite sides of the board to make it fair (not exactly sure where.) They would still need to find the scenario cards necessary to start the truck (Keys, Gas) If the other team finds the scenario cards, you can attempt to kill them and steal the items. However, if your heroes are killed, you will not get a new character; you are done for the game.

The zombies would win if they are able to stop the teams from leaving. Either hero team would win by escaping.

This is a very rough sketch that I thought of in like 10 minutes, so it obviously needs work, but I think it sounds fun. Any help to make more definitive rules and guidelines is very welcome.
02-27-2009, 06:15 AM
One issue that came to mind shortly after posting this is what would happen if zombie(s) occupied the same space of heroes from separate teams (presumably they were fighting.)

I would think a way to try to rectify this would be by rolling to see who fights the zombie. Kind of think of it like they're both trying to run away from the zombie, or possibly lure the zombie over to the other person, and the unlucky/slower/less clever one is who will fight the zombie (based on the lower roll. On ties, roll again.)

Like I said above, this is still a very rough draft, and any input would be appreciated.
06-04-2009, 05:50 AM
sorry i never replyed but, i think the zombie player should just choose which one he wants to attack, your way would work to and make it more fun and random, but to make it funner for the zombie player id say let him choose.

when life hands you zombies, rev up your chainsaw.
[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/pluguglie/PlugUglie.png[/IMG]
11-17-2009, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2009 07:18 PM by Grudunza.)
I just noticed this thread now, and wanted to comment that I really like this idea, especially using Escape with the Truck... that does seem like an ideal choice for a PvPvZ scenario.

However, one big thing that would need to be adjusted for is that this could give the Zombies a huge advantage. Normally, all 4 Heroes are working together to accomplish the goal, but in this case, they might be seriously inhibiting each other. And that not only takes away somewhat from their chances of fulfilling the scenario objective, but it also takes away from their focus and ability to deal with the zombies. Of course, they may need to agree to work together to some extent to deal with the zombies, and I like the possibility/necessity of that, but at some point, they're likely to turn on each other or at least divide their attention. So using the dot system from GH, I would add at least a few dots to the Hero side, and in particular the Free Search markers should be one of them... it'll be slightly harder for one side to find the Keys and Gasoline once the other side has found one of those things. Heroes Replenish should be another thing, as it could practically end the game for one side if they ever have only one Hero left and the other side has two. I would also add one and maybe two turns to the game to account for the added difficulty...

I think I would also have regular Fights between Heroes work the same way as with Zombies... a wound only occurs if doubles are rolled and the player rolls higher with at least one die. Otherwise, there will always be a wound anytime a Hero attacks another Hero, and that will likely prove too deadly for the Heroes in general. Not to mention that many times people fight each other and don't really get "wounded". But perhaps there should be some further incentive for initiating a PvP fight... Maybe a Hero player is only wounded on the usual doubles + higher die roll thing, but if they lose the fight just in terms of a lower die roll (without doubles), they lose two movement points on their next move and/or they can't search on their next turn (they got hit hard and are disoriented). This is where I wish each Hero had some kind of combat stat like in ATOE, where you would add that rating on to all of your fight dice when fighting against another Hero... that would make it a little more tactical (you're going to have a better chance sending Sam in to fight against Amanda than the other way around). Of course, a simple Fight rating chart could be made up for that kind of thing, such as:

Sam: +2
Johnny: +2
Sheriff Anderson: +2
Rachelle: +2
Nurse Becky: +1
Jake: +1
Jenny: +1
Billy: 0
Sally: 0
Kenny: 0
Father Joseph: 0
Amanda: 0
etc.

And in that case (and regardless of that) I would suggest having draft-style choices for choosing the starting characters... Player 1 picks one, then Player 2 picks two, then Player 1 picks one

Here's another idea as far as an advantage for the Heroes to offset the disadvantage of them working against each other... every character's "Dead" space now counts as another "Wound" space, so they are only dead if they take another wound once those are all filled up. (I always thought the "Dead" space was kind of pointless, anyway.) I think that might make a good (but powerful) dot rule in general... call it the "Not Dead Yet!" rule.

Other possible scenario situations that could work for this general idea would be to play something like Revenge of the Dead or Die Zombies Die and have a win condition for the Hero players where if they survive Revenge of the Dead, whichever of them lost fewer Heroes wins, and if they kill enough zombies to win Die Zombies Die, then whichever of them killed more wins.

Anyway, if you haven't already, I may try to get a more detailed scenario written up for this idea...
11-24-2009, 12:52 AM
I implemented Hero vs. Hero rules in Bury the Living, and perhaps one other scenario. Essentially the defending hero = Zombie and attacker = Hero in terms of rolls.
01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
This topic gave me the idea to create a custom scenario involving an antidote and two different search teams. One of the teams would consist of ordinary townfolks (Heroes) infected by a virus searching for the antidote to cure themselves. They would compete for the antidote with a team of (healthy) mercenaries or a sole soldier depending on the number of players. Townfolks, mercenaries and the sole soldier would get hand weapons, light and full equipment respectively. Balancing the tree parties would be an issue, but could be done with some testing and refining.
03-14-2011, 07:43 PM
I like this idea, I think that there are some things that would obviously change with different scenarios such as maybe heroes killed by heroes would rise the next turn (especially in ritual based scenarios).

I have been thinking of a "take the money and run" scenario involving strange characters vs law enforcement vs zombies. Not sure the logistics yet but this is a great jumping off point.
03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
A simple senario idea could be that the heroes are looking for something (like a cure) and there is only enough for one of them, so they have to find it before anyone else does and escape with it.
03-15-2011, 12:52 AM
These ideas are awesome! I had been thinking of a free for all mission for a while, but I like the 2v2vZ idea. To balance it out, instead of using tons of bonuses for heroes, perhaps allow only 7 zombies in play? Of course that only works if you have 1 zombie player...

Otherwise the idea of losing 2 movement or not being allowed to search when hit is great, otherwise, perhaps we could allow the player who won the fight to take one random item from the wounded? That way you have a BIG incentive to attack the other party, as you want to be the ones escaping in the truck (or finding the cure or...). --> Maybe then leave 14 zombies as it also allows for some alliances once in a while (both groups have keys and are being surrounded by masses of zombies)

*Braaaiiiinnnnns......*