Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Player cards
12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Player cards
In the rules it states heroes may carry no more than 4 items with 2 weapons max, does this mean 4 items including events total?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2010 07:20 PM by mqstout.)
RE: Player cards
Hey drobuff. This is quite a common question, and takes careful reading of the rules to get at first. Two important facts matter here:

1: Events are NOT items.
2: Events belong to the PLAYER and not the character.

So, when searching, if the card is an item, it's revealed immediately, attached to the hero that searched. If, at the end of that hero's turn, he has more than 4 items (or more than 2 weapons), he must discard down to the limit. He can trade with other heroes before he has to discard the extra. However, if it's an event card, it goes to the PLAYER'S (secret) hand. There is no limit to hand size.

Another time where this distinction matters is on the death of a hero. When a hero dies, all items he has are discarded. However, the event cards, since they belong to the player (who may even control more than one hero), are unaffected.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
(12-03-2010 07:18 PM)mqstout Wrote:  Hey drobuff. This is quite a common question, and takes careful reading of the rules to get at first. Two important facts matter here:

1: Events are NOT items.
2: Events belong to the PLAYER and not the character.

So, when searching, if the card is an item, it's revealed immediately, attached to the hero that searched. If, at the end of that hero's turn, he has more than 4 items (or more than 2 weapons), he must discard down to the limit. He can trade with other heroes before he has to discard the extra. However, if it's an event card, it goes to the PLAYER'S (secret) hand. There is no limit to hand size.

Another time where this distinction matters is on the death of a hero. When a hero dies, all items he has are discarded. However, the event cards, since they belong to the player (who may even control more than one hero), are unaffected.

Thanks much, we were playing it that way I just wanted further clarification.
12-10-2010, 01:43 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2010 01:44 AM by vikinglad.)
Wow, glad I read this. We have been playing it as all non-weapon cards are items. Basically, heros only get 2 weapons and 2 non-weapons. So anyone searching that already has 4 cards has to discard one. This will help them out greatly, and they needed it at our house!

Also, please clarify for me about discarding at the end of the hero's turn. If I already have two weapons, say a baseball bat and a chainsaw, and I search and draw a revolver, can I use the revolver during the ranged attack, fight with both the baseball bat and the chainsaw, then choose one to discard at the end of that turn?
12-10-2010, 01:53 AM
Nope, you can only hold 2 weapons (or 1 two-handed weapon) at any time. So, in your example as you found the revolver you would have to decide whether to keep it and discard either the bat or chainsaw or just discard the revolver.
12-10-2010, 03:07 AM
(12-03-2010 07:18 PM)mqstout Wrote:  So, when searching, if the card is an item, it's revealed immediately, attached to the hero that searched. If, at the end of that hero's turn, he has more than 4 items (or more than 2 weapons), he must discard down to the limit. He can trade with other heroes before he has to discard the extra.

Thanks ZombieJ. That is how we have been playing. The hero must decide which card to discard immediately after the search if they are over the 4 item or 2 weapon max.

mqstout, what is meant by "If, at the end of that hero's turn, he has more than 4 items (or more than 2 weapons), he must discard down to the limit."
12-10-2010, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2010 05:52 AM by mqstout.)
I mean is that you don't discard immediately. If you're in the same space as someone else, you can trade with them before you discard for being over your item limit. If it's a "consumable" you can also use it right away.

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....E_Item#FAQ
12-10-2010, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2010 06:27 AM by vikinglad.)
(12-10-2010 05:50 AM)mqstout Wrote:  I mean is that you don't discard immediately. If you're in the same space as someone else, you can trade with them before you discard for being over your item limit. If it's a "consumable" you can also use it right away.

http://flyingfrogwiki.com/ffpwiki/index....E_Item#FAQ

Thanks for the clarification. I think I get it. So it has to be used/discarded/exchanged during the move (or exchange) action of that hero's turn, right? No shooting the signal flare immediately so you don't have to discard, because that is during the "Ranged Attack" action?
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Right.
12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
This helps out a lot. I think we were playing Events per character in my sessions.