Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible Custom Ally Construction
11-21-2013, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 05:32 PM by Odie.)
Possible Custom Ally Construction
Is it incredibly premature to start thinking of custom allies for a game whose rules aren't finalized?...yes.

Am I doing it anyway?...well, yes, but more in the sense of putting tentative thoughts together, as opposed to presenting anything currently usable.

So, based off of info given by Jason in the early morning hours of 11/21/13, we have this info about allies:

"“Can you tell us about Allies?” – Can’t speak to that too much yet, but different Allies work fairly differently (the Faithful dog works very differently to the Pack Mule for instance)."

Okay, so that's almost no information at all, but I think we can make some educated guesses based off of that response, and previous info we have from previous FFP comments.

First, I feel like it's safe to say that different allies are going to have different stats. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't expect the Mule to have an Attack value like we know the Dog ally does from past FFP info. Likewise, I wouldn't expect the Dog to be as robust as the larger Mule, so the Dog ally would probably have fewer Wounds than the pack animal.

Second, since we know from past FFP comments that the Mule can carry loot, and the Dog can use a Scout ability to check out tiles ahead of the group, we can guess that Jason's comments about allies working differently means that allies will have the (fairly good) possibility of using Special Rules unique to each ally. So, in building customs, making up Special Rules would probably be the norm.

I was really hoping that we could get solid info about specific stats to use as a baseline for Allies, but until that information comes, we could probably just generalize stats and rules in relation to known game elements.

For instance, from the Character Class thread we know that the average human starting Wounds will probably be 12 (8-16 depending on defense). From the Exploration, Encounters, and Combat thread we know that Tentacles will probably have 2 defense with 4 wounds.

Using those two examples as a baseline, Human allies would obviously be...human sized. Something like the Dog ally would probably be comparable in size and stats value to the Tentacle...maybe with a point or two higher Wounds since it's in the Hero group, but a safe comparison.

So where does that leave us? Well, it doesn't get us incredibly far to be honest, but we could probably generalize "wishlist" builds on custom characters, allies, and monsters, as long as we kept it in mind that any or all of this information could be changed by the date of SOBS release.

Writer, Gamer, Professional Geek

Odie Bracy - Fiction Blog

Full Color Gamer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2013, 09:29 PM
RE: Possible Custom Ally Construction
Well it would keep us out of pool halls (my GM was always worried
about that)I think it will help us get by those long months
of waiting .

I did ask Jason about some Stat examples that we might use for templates
& he said they were going to do that.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
Find all posts by this user
11-21-2013, 09:32 PM
RE: Possible Custom Ally Construction
(11-21-2013 09:29 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Well it would keep us out of pool halls (my GM was always worried
about that)I think it will help us get by those long months
of waiting .

I did ask Jason about some Stat examples that we might use for templates
& he said they were going to do that.

OD

That's awesome - can't wait until we can get some solid info on stats.

Writer, Gamer, Professional Geek

Odie Bracy - Fiction Blog

Full Color Gamer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user