Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Random Encounters/Side Quests
08-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Random Encounters/Side Quests
I have attached a file that I have created that incorporates Random Encounters/Side Quests into gameplay.

I created these just to mix up my gameplay experience, as I play solo and only have the base game. I also enjoy tinkering around with the game.

As the file describes, the Encounters will either benefit or hinder the Heroes, on their way to winning the scenario. The Encounters range from typical Fetch Quests, to Peaceful or Hostile Encounters. All of which have several possible outcomes, once completed.

Some may say this may unbalance the game some, but I always like a good challenge.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Encounters_2.0_TZG.pdf (Size: 761.54 KB / Downloads: 12)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2021, 08:30 PM
RE: Random Encounters/Side Quests
I don't play LNoE but this looks great.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
08-06-2021, 09:23 PM
This is an interesting idea!
08-07-2021, 07:15 PM
Sweet! Looks like it could make the game really interesting! I've toyed around with event/encounter cards myself, but I really like this split reference system. I'll try it out next time I play and report back with how it went.

- Let's go. Stay close to me.
08-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Intriguing ideas. It reminds me a bit of Return of the Heroes, an adventure/RPG board game with tokens for random encounters and quests. Other than some formatting issues, the only problem I see is that it somewhat unbalances the game in the heroes' favor. While that may be preferable in a solo game, with a few tweaks for the zombie players it could work well in any game.

When all else fails...run like hell!
08-08-2021, 03:07 PM
(08-08-2021 02:48 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  Intriguing ideas. It reminds me a bit of Return of the Heroes, an adventure/RPG board game with tokens for random encounters and quests. Other than some formatting issues, the only problem I see is that it somewhat unbalances the game in the heroes' favor. While that may be preferable in a solo game, with a few tweaks for the zombie players it could work well in any game.

Thanks for checking it out!

I figured it could unbalance the game for sure, but for either the Heroes or the Zombie, depending on how the Encounters are used. If the Heroes need to complete so many before being able to complete a scenario, it could distract them from their main mission, thus potentially making it a favor the Zombie side. (also dependent of how the player rolls for the outcomes). That is kind of my intention for my solo play, without adding anything to the Zombie side.

However, it definitely could unbalance it for a 2+ player game for sure!

What tweaks do you think could be made them work for the Zombie player as well?

I'm always open to feedback on any of my variant ideas!
08-20-2021, 01:39 AM
(08-08-2021 03:07 PM)mkrob89 Wrote:  
(08-08-2021 02:48 PM)rpgspree Wrote:  Intriguing ideas. It reminds me a bit of Return of the Heroes, an adventure/RPG board game with tokens for random encounters and quests. Other than some formatting issues, the only problem I see is that it somewhat unbalances the game in the heroes' favor. While that may be preferable in a solo game, with a few tweaks for the zombie players it could work well in any game.

Thanks for checking it out!

I figured it could unbalance the game for sure, but for either the Heroes or the Zombie, depending on how the Encounters are used. If the Heroes need to complete so many before being able to complete a scenario, it could distract them from their main mission, thus potentially making it a favor the Zombie side. (also dependent of how the player rolls for the outcomes). That is kind of my intention for my solo play, without adding anything to the Zombie side.

However, it definitely could unbalance it for a 2+ player game for sure!

What tweaks do you think could be made them work for the Zombie player as well?

I'm always open to feedback on any of my variant ideas!

Perhaps there could be some alternative zombie themed encounters where they get bonuses or setbacks too. They probably should be simple tasks and tests, as they can't realistically be expected to do anything complicated like side quests. Also, given their numbers, there would need to be a balance between the chance of encountering them, the possible success rate, and the rewards.

For example, one could be "fresh kill": a success gives the zombie a burst of speed, but a failure is diseased and causes it to loose a loose a turn due to vomiting. LOL

When all else fails...run like hell!