Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Random questions
10-05-2012, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 07:35 PM by ATOEtalGeek.)
Random questions
Here are some more questions that arose during some of our recent sessions.

1. Can you buy more than one town item or monastery item in a turn?

2. Can you exchange items/allies with another character in your space before or during your movement phase? Can I start my turn in a space with another character and exchange items with him before I roll for movement? The cooperative rules state that it is done out of the normal turn sequence – not sure how to interpret that.

3. If you start a showdown can you continue the rest of your turn after the showdown ends (such as when the villain escapes)?

4. “Remains in play” mystery cards: There are certain cards and abilities that allow you to cancel mystery cards. Some of those cards specifically say it removes remains-in-play mystery cards (Daybreak, for example), while some do not specify (Hold back the darkness & Brother Marcus). Does that mean that the ones that don’t specify may not remove remains-in-play mystery cards – and perhaps may only remove mystery cards as they are played?

5. For Curse of the Werewolf – During the mystery phase the character is required to attack the nearest character. Does the werewolf character move to the victim character’s space? For realism it would seem so.

6. For the Abandoned Keep card “Ancestral Tomb (SW)” – can you add a militia’s +1 combat to your Sprit & Combat 6+ test if one is there with you?

Please, if you know of it, refer to the rule or FAQ where the answer comes from. We can make house rules for some of these but would like to know if there are official answers.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2012, 05:24 AM
RE: Random questions
1. Not concretely spelled out in the rules. Only guidance available is that you Encounter Town spaces, you may only Encounter Spaces once per turn, & that we are to follow the text on the Board.

So, The Church & The Magistrate state “Pay 2 investigation to train (Spirit/Cunning) & make an Honor +5 test. Success gains +1”. Note the singular = may only be used once.

Blacksmith: “Buy Town ItemS Here.” Note the plural. May buy more than one, up to carry limit".

2. P.20:A new Action that any Hero may take during their Hero turn is to exchange Items or Allies with other Heroes in your space. There is no limit to the number of Item/Ally cards that you may give or receive per turn, but you must always observe carrying limit. Also, any time a Hero has to discard an Item/Ally due to their carrying limit, they may instead give it to any other Hero in their space. This is out of the normal turn sequence."

Note the wording. Exchanging is an Action, which may only be performed per Turn Order. However if you are forced to Discard an Item/Ally due to carry limits you may instead give it to another Hero in your space, which would be outside normal turn sequence.

3. P.20 “Escaping From/ Cancelling Showdowns”: “The Hero may Escape from a Showdown in the same way as Escaping from a normal Fight."

P.16 “Escaping from Fights” “At the start of each Fight Round after the first, the Hero may choose to continue the Fight or Escape. If the Fight continues, proceed with another Fight Round as normal. If the Hero chooses instead to Escape, they must immediately move to any adjacent space that does not contain an enemy and their turn immediately ends."

4. Not cited in the rules, but implicit in the exact wording of the cards (which is CRITICAL in FFP games!). Cancels Mystery Cards does just that: cancels ANY Mystery Cards. “Cancels Remains In Play” are, thus, limited to Mystery cards that Remain In Play only.

5. It does not specifically say to move, so you don’t, confirmed by Jason HERE: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/459807/e...-questions For a realistic explanation, I always think of it as the Werewolf races off & attacks the nearest hero & then races away, returning to the spot of the transformation.

6. Items, Allies, etc. add onto the relevant Skill when making Tests. When making tests you count your combined total of the two Skills. So, yes, Militia could help due to their +1 to your Combat.

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-07-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks MoonSylver! Your answers are very helpful. We had some of the same opinions but it's good to get verification from others who play.

One thing, I think you misinterpreted my #3. I meant to ask specifically that it the villain escapes your showdown are you allowed to continue your turn? Basically, performing any actions other than encountering the space?
10-07-2012, 11:33 PM
(10-07-2012 06:19 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Thanks MoonSylver! Your answers are very helpful. We had some of the same opinions but it's good to get verification from others who play.

One thing, I think you misinterpreted my #3. I meant to ask specifically that it the villain escapes your showdown are you allowed to continue your turn? Basically, performing any actions other than encountering the space?

Like on "Escape"? It doesn't specify other than "the Showdown immediately ends". Based on the above though, we've always played that your turn ends. The implication IMO is that once you initiate a Showdown it replaces your normal turn, & that when the Showdown ends, your turn ends.
---MSWatchmen01

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-08-2012, 12:38 AM
There is also a Lair card that makes you pass a test or the villain escapes the showdown.

You believe your turn just ends in the event the villain escapes? hmm..I don't know. In realism it would represent you finding the villain at its lair - you try to fight it and it gets away - then you just do nothing. In reality you would naturally investigate the area to learn what you could about the villain..maybe pick up a clue about its other lair (ie. purchase a new lair card for an action). It doesn't follow that your turn would/should just end. I would be inclined to house-rule that your turn may continue. It's already understood that you may not encounter the space but there other actions available. But an official answer would be nice.
10-08-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines that your whole turn would have been consumed by the act of initiating/engaging in the showdown. It doesn't seem "right" to me that you would still get the rest of your turn. Plus, as I said, we do have some precedent in what happens if you cancel & escape a Showdown. It, again, doesn't seem "right" to me that under one cancel your turn would end, but the other you would get the rest of your turn.

Not trying to tell anyone how to run their game, just my interpretation. Watchmen02

10-08-2012, 03:10 AM
Yes, I hear what you're saying. The thing is for me in one scenario it's your choice to escape - in the other it's the villain abandoning you. Not saying either case is right or wrong. I think we'll just have to house-rule it if there is no official clarification.
10-08-2012, 03:36 AM
(10-08-2012 03:10 AM)ATOEtalGeek Wrote:  Yes, I hear what you're saying. The thing is for me in one scenario it's your choice to escape - in the other it's the villain abandoning you. Not saying either case is right or wrong. I think we'll just have to house-rule it if there is no official clarification.

Yep. Unless Jason or Mary Beth happens by it might have to be e-mailed to FFP for official confirmation. Watchmen02
---MSWatchmen01