Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Painted Rat Nest Minions and Rat markers for The Werewolf Villain
02-15-2021, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021 09:36 PM by samuraitrev.)
Painted Rat Nest Minions and Rat markers for The Werewolf Villain
Hi all, I managed to get these painted up. They took me a while as I had to custom base them all and it was quite time consuming to do all 22! I'm glad they're done now. Plus, the rats are quite generic so I can see these coming up in other games too. Perhaps I could use them in Descent, Hero Quest, Warhammer Quest or D&D.

The Rat Nest Minions are scratch built using a combination of limestone chips and basing scenery.

The Rat marker models are from a company called Anvil Industry here https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/rat-swarm I bought 2 bases of them which cost me a very reasonable £8 ($11.13)

Pros and cons of the rat miniatures:
Pros
28mm scale
thematically perfect
No building required
No clean up required
great price

Cons:
Don't come with bases
limited amount of sculpts
not the most dynamic or nasty looking

Overall, I would grade these miniatures 4/5.
Conclusion: I think I would have liked more rats, to go for more of a seething swarm look, but I had to balance the look vs. cost. I believe I struck a balance which I'm happy with. The rats don't look particularly menacing but they will do the job and I'm happy with them. I managed to make 14 Rat Minion bases for very little cost and I can't wait to use them in the next battle against The Werewolf Villain.

Happy gaming and please feel free to leave me any comments or questions.Watchmen02
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2021, 08:55 PM
RE: Rat Nest Minions and Rat markers for The Werewolf Villain
Nice Bases-I find your rocks really well done.Are the Limestone chips
painted & drybrushed or do they just come like that.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
02-16-2021, 03:23 PM
RE: Rat Nest Minions and Rat markers for The Werewolf Villain
(02-15-2021 08:55 PM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  Nice Bases-I find your rocks really well done.Are the Limestone chips
painted & drybrushed or do they just come like that.

OD

Thanks OD. They're painted and drybrushed. Really quick technique all paints by GW.
1) Basecoat Mechanicus Standard Grey
2) Wash with Agrax Earthshade
3) Drybrush with Screaming Skull

I actually played a game of AToE last night and we played against the Werewolf. I got to use the Rats Nest and some rat markers in the game it looked brilliant on the game board. Zombie17 Plus I used my Werewolf miniature and the Feral Kin miniatures too.