Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Real Time" Zombie Movement
09-22-2022, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2022 03:00 AM by mkrob89.)
"Real Time" Zombie Movement
Has anyone toyed with moving the zombies, during the movement phase as the Heroes, when playing solo?

My intention for this is the fact Zombies will react immediately to a Heroes actions. So I tried a method of moving the Zombies as I moved my Heroes.

This made moving much more strategic, as a hole in the zombies alignment could close mid-movement, leaving the Hero surrounded by Zombies!

Board Layout -
Attempt 1: Normal board configuration. Normal spawning rules.
Attempt 2: 4 L boards, in a rectangle.

Results: Attempt 2 worked best. It was a smaller board and allowed the Zombies to spawn in the middle of the board, instead of the edges.

How it worked:

I rolled a D4 along with the D6 movement dice. The D4 acted as a Noise dice, I suppose. It determined the strength of the action the Hero took. I rolled it and applied it even when searching.
1 = 1 space
2 = 2 spaces
3 = 3 spaces
4 = No noise

Attempt 1: For every 1 space the Hero moved, the zombies moved 1 space, that were within the D4 range.
Example: move hero 1 space, then any zombie within the d4 rolled, moves 1 space. Rinse and repeat until hero cannot move or a zombie enters their space.

Attempt 2: for every 2 spaces the Hero moves, the zombies move 1 space.

Results: Attempt 2 seemed to work better. Attempt 1 was way too hard. I got to thinking, zombies are a little slower to react, so a 2:1 hero:zombie movement may seem more logical. It worked well! Still challenging but not too overwhelming!

Spawning:
Attempt 1 and 2 - I spawned zombies based on the heroes locations first.

This counted as the Zombie movement, for the Zombie turn phase. Only a movement card, played during the Zombie Turn, could move them any additional spaces.

I will continue to playtest this and see what results I come up with! Attempt 2 was a much better playthrough, as I lost on the final round trying to get to the truck!

Has anyone else tried anything like this before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2022, 11:37 AM
RE: "Real Time" Zombie Movement
I haven't (then again, I sold off my LNOE stuff) but this is an interesting idea.
How does this effect balance? It seems to favor the Zombies but I'll be anxious
to see the results from more of your test games.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
09-22-2022, 11:50 AM
(09-22-2022 11:37 AM)Old Dwarf Wrote:  I haven't (then again, I sold off my LNOE stuff) but this is an interesting idea.
How does this effect balance? It seems to favor the Zombies but I'll be anxious
to see the results from more of your test games.

OD

I think it does slightly favor the zombies, but there were a few rounds where I had a Hero all by themselves for consecutive rounds (either because I had no zombie pool left or because there wasn't a nearby spawn point). So that Hero really did not have much of a threat at times from the zombies. So I think that kind of balances its some!

I have mentioned before in some of my previous posts, I play solo 100% of the time, so I am always trying to experiment with things!
09-25-2022, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2022 02:38 PM by mkrob89.)
Attempt 3:

Escape in the truck (I mainly play this scenario)

4 L boards
2:1 Hero:Zombie movement

D4 - Applied when moving,searching, using guns.
1= 1 space
2= 2 spaces
3= 3 spaces
4= no noise

I also rolled the D4 when using a gun, in which I always rerolled a 4 bc gun always make a sound.

If a zombie was within the D4 range, but next to another hero, Zombie hunger moved the zombie into a neighboring Hero's space, instead of towards the noise (may change this. Considering it could be a distraction.)

Seemed to work well! I was able to win the scenario with 2 rounds remaining!

NOTES:
I noticed that Hero turn order is important. I was able to draw some zombies away from a hero carrying the gasoline, before their turn, in order to free up a running lane for them.

There were a few times where stopping the Hero's movement short, on an odd number, was beneficial. Example. Hero rolled a movement of 4, but only moved 3 spaces. This keeps the zombies from moving twice. (Zombies only move for every 2 hero spaces. Eg. 2:1 movement ratio)

I will continue to play test because I find it very strategic and challenging at times!
09-29-2022, 08:22 PM
A good idea for solo games. I regard the game as pretty balanced after the introduction of Blood in the Forest and Timber Peak. It would be interesting if more solo players would give this a go too. Thanks for postingWatchmen02

If you like my work please visit my Tomb http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Forum-The-Tomb
For painting articles visit A Brush with Death http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Foru...with-Death
09-30-2022, 05:44 PM
Can you explain this a little more. So if a zombie moves 1 space for every two by the Hero, why have 1 and 3 spaces on the D4 roll? Is it a Direction roll?
09-30-2022, 09:48 PM
(09-30-2022 05:44 PM)Achtung Panzer Wrote:  Can you explain this a little more. So if a zombie moves 1 space for every two by the Hero, why have 1 and 3 spaces on the D4 roll? Is it a Direction roll?

The D4 is like a noise/range dice I suppose for this variant.
Heroes roll the d4 along with their D6 for movement or when they search.
The d4 is the noise/range strength of the action taken, by the hero.

Exanple:
Hero rolls a 5 for movement and a D4 of 3, and then decides to move. Any zombie within a range of 3, from the Hero, will move towards the hero for that turn.

The hero moves 2 spaces, and any zombie within 3 spaces from the Hero moves 1 space. (2:1 hero:zombie movement). The hero moves again 2 more spaces and any zombies within 3 spaces, moves 1. The hero moves its last movement point of 1 and the phase ends, zombies didnt move since it was an odd movement point.

Same goes with searching, Zombies within d4 range only move 1 space.

I hope that helps clarify this some. I apologize for any confusion!
10-01-2022, 08:00 AM
Attempt #4

Escape in the truck
4 L boards

Added 2 spawning pits at the start of the game, to balance out the zombie spacing. (1 was in a corner, the other was near a board edge close to the center of the board.)

Normal spawning rules.

If a zombie moves into another Hero B's space, during Hero A's turn, Hero B did not have to fight those zombies. (Treated as if the zombies started in Hero B's space, like normal gameplay, since technically they did. Hero B could move and search as normal)

Also, I dont know of I've noted this previously or not, but during Hero movement, if a zombie enters a Hero's space before all the movement points are used, the Hero's movement ends.

Lost on the last round. Father Joseph fueled the truck and had the door open for Sally to jump in. Sally had the keys and needed a roll of 2. She rolled a 1, and became zombie food!

I really enjoy moving the zombies in this manner. It gives searching and using guns, consequences. It also helps me streamline zombie movement, when playing solo!