Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Really basic painting question here
09-05-2011, 07:16 AM
Really basic painting question here
Ok, so I am contemplating painting some minis and I have a very very very basic question.

I have seen how folks will stick a mini on a cork or something to handle it while painting, etc. So, what kind of adhesive do you use for that? I guess super glue would be a bad idea. What else is strong enough to get a good hold but can be broken fairly easily when you are done?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2011, 07:54 AM
RE: Really basic painting question here
Good question. I started with Elmers glue and a chopstick the first time, but the mini fell off. Now, I use a tiny dab of Super glue. It is just a bit stronger than I would like, and I am sometimes scared when peeling it off. What are we supposed to use?
09-05-2011, 08:04 PM
I've always just good ol' faithful blu tac. The stuff's pretty strong. It holds the model onto the cork, old paint pot, length of thick cad, length of plastic etc.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate if you have more painting/modeling questionsWatchmen02
09-06-2011, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2011 08:34 PM by Pred.)
i actually use a sticky putty (almost like silly putty but stickier) and a small dixie cup shot glass that you would use for jello shots. It gives you something to hold onto while painting and it acts as a stand to dry on.

~If we are being chased by Zombies, I'm tripping you!!!Zombie13
09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Double sided mounting tape works well, butit's basically the same principle as blue tac(that you use for posters) or what have you.

Honestly i'm stupid and I don't do it at all, mostly. Somtimes i'll temp-glue a mini in a slotted base, but i'm really bad about putting my fingers all over my minis. I've had to touch up areas I smeared or put finger prints on too much, you'd think i'd learn.

Should you wish to get to know me better I suggest you read my bio as it is absolutely true.
09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Cool, thanks for the help guys!