Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Remains in play "The Horror" , how to remove?
10-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Remains in play "The Horror" , how to remove?
Hello,

Last night we played a coop-ADVANCED game of ATOE and the card "the Horror" (SW expac) came up.

IT wrecked us in the mystery phase. I was zipping through the Event deck after and found no way to remove it. Perhaps i missed it but is there a card to remove it from play? All of the cards i found that removed in plays were keyed to other mystery cards, Weather ect...I did not find any generic..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 05:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2012 05:06 PM by Wasteland Jack.)
RE: Remains in play "The Horror" , how to remove?
(10-05-2012 01:14 PM)Atraangelis Wrote:  Hello,

Last night we played a coop-ADVANCED game of ATOE and the card "the Horror" (SW expac) came up.

IT wrecked us in the mystery phase. I was zipping through the Event deck after and found no way to remove it. Perhaps i missed it but is there a card to remove it from play? All of the cards i found that removed in plays were keyed to other mystery cards, Weather ect...I did not find any generic..

Yeah, I know that card. It caused a showdown after 4 rounds of play. We got hosed.

If I am correct, "Holding Back the Darkness" can allow you to roll a 3+ to cancel any mystery card in play. Also Brother Marcus can cancel it by paying investigation and rolling a similar D6 roll.
Oh and "Daybreak" Just checked the FFWiki.
Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 12:20 AM by MoonSylver.)
There's a few different cards/effects that will remove "Remains In Play" cards. Everything from Event cards like "Daybreak" to (one of my favorites) Buy the Book of Lore from the Blacksmith "Discard to immediately move the Shadow Track 1 step closer to or away from Darkness (your choice) or to cancel a Mystery card."

Since it is a Town Item, which are a STACK (and thus do not have a discard pile), once you discard it to cancel the Mystery card, it goes back to the Stack! Insane20

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"
10-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the replys, that helps..but on a side note...

(10-06-2012 12:19 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Since it is a Town Item, which are a STACK (and thus do not have a discard pile), once you discard it to cancel the Mystery card, it goes back to the Stack! Insane20
Wha?.. Really?.. I have never seen it played this way...need clarification on this and how you come to that conclusion that a discarded item from a town deck is returned to the deck??
IF its true..ITS HUGE..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 10:17 AM
(10-06-2012 04:49 AM)Atraangelis Wrote:  Thanks for the replys, that helps..but on a side note...

(10-06-2012 12:19 AM)MoonSylver Wrote:  Since it is a Town Item, which are a STACK (and thus do not have a discard pile), once you discard it to cancel the Mystery card, it goes back to the Stack! Insane20
Wha?.. Really?.. I have never seen it played this way...need clarification on this and how you come to that conclusion that a discarded item from a town deck is returned to the deck??
IF its true..ITS HUGE..

Confirmed-see page 4 of the AToE Rule Book under Discard
Town Items are defined as a Stack & they are returned to
the Stack when discarded.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-06-2012, 02:11 PM
This question is though - can a card that doesn't specifically remove a remains-in-play mystery card be used to remove a remains-in-play mystery card once that card is in play? I'm referring to the fact that certain cards, such as Daybreak, actually say it targets a remains-in-play mystery, while others do not. Why specify on some cards and not all if it's intended that none of them be limited?

I included this in my other post on random questions. It seems to me that the only way to remove a remains-in-play mystery card once it is in play is to use a card or ability that specifically targets a remains-in-play mystery. Anyone know of an official ruling?
10-06-2012, 08:33 PM
I would think a card that can removes a Mystery Card,
does indeed remove a Mystery Card even a Remains in Play one.

"Daybreak" allows you to remove A Remains in Play Card
but would not effect a non-Remains in Play Mystery Card,
so in that way its inferior to a Card that allows you to cancel
a Mystery Card.

I have never seen this question come up before,so I'm
sure there is no official ruling.

That said the Card Wording IMO is clear,an Event/Item
that allows you to remove a Mystery Card allows you to
do just that to a Mystery Card ,Remains in Play type or
not.If the wording says remove a Remains in Play card
then only a Remains in Play card can be canceled.

OD

Sighing like the night wind and sobbing like the rain,—
Wailing for the lost one that comes not again:
10-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Yes, I follow you. That does make sense. Thanks!
10-07-2012, 05:48 AM
OD nailed it on all counts. One relevant thing to point out as well is P.15 "Canceling Cards" "Many times a card will allow you to cancel another card as it is played or that Remains in Play. As noted earlier, an Event Card may not be canceled after it has already caused dice to be rolled or rerolled. Mystery Cards may always be canceled."

So, unless you have a Cancel card/skill that specifies when it can be used (as it is played, Remains In Play), but merely "cancel a Mystery Card." then it can be used at anytime on either/or. Watchmen02

"If you had any sense, you'd leave now! Get out while ya still can! It's too late for th' rest'a us. The Horseman rides tonight, an' he's comin' to take us all ta Hell!"