Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Replicating Cards / Board, etc.
02-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Replicating Cards / Board, etc.
When I first introduced myself into the forums, I stated I was working on a possible variant expansion for the series. The project has been moving along successfully with a lot of work being put down on paper to develop some new adventures for our forlorn heroes (including a few new mechanics, etc.)

Unfortunately, I was gifted with a superb imagination and creative flow without any actual artistic ability what so ever (discounting film.) So I still need to work on finding a friend or something willing to help design the boards. Meanwhile I can work on getting other pieces done (including the teaser trailer and some principal photography for the variant card deck.)

It is however important to me that due to the fact this is an unofficial release it be something that can be reasonably replicated at low cost to the fan base. Now, it's not too hard to get your hands on some thin chipboard, photo paper, spray adhesive and acrylic sealer (or thin laminate.) I suppose you could also buy the original boards from the website and then just cover over the original board print. So, the board is not so much an issue.

The cards have it me at a standstill. I have limited knowledge on trading card home manufacturing. The information I have is more akin to your average "magic the gathering" style of texture and thickness. I have a few plans laid out that could subvert this issue. I could for example, using a new mechanic, have them as a separate small deck. Much like survival tactics or grave weapons. I would prefer to have the materials match as closely as the official gear though, so they could be used as the player sees fit. Has anyone had any experience with replicating the thicker, glossy style of this game's cards?

As a side note, this is still in the early phases and depending on the pace of completion there is no assurance that it will see the light of day. However, the process while time consuming shouldn't have a high curve of difficulty, so it stands a good chance of happening. Pardon the vague details, I get over-enthusiastic when I start leaking details, so I have taken a prudent stance on discussing the concept.

If a few seasoned players however would like to assist in some casual banter about the concept, offering possible insights on balance and mechanics, I'd be happy to get some fresh perspective.

As for the main purpose of this thread, any information past or present relating to authentic replication of the LNOE style would be helpful. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2013, 04:06 AM
RE: Replicating Cards / Board, etc.
Are you located in US or Europe? I'm asking cause I was thinking the same thing... I was cruising around the net looking for similar materials as in the game and posted a thread looking to see what others have done. I'm soon going to go to kinkos and get a sample of some of there paper stock to try and match the weights and texture as well as get a grasp on the terminology involved so I can better find stuff on the net since kinkos seems limited.. I'll let you know what I find and I'll try and tinker in photoshop to see what I can do if anything to try and help...

I'm not dead. I'm electroencephalographically challenged...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Allow me to jump in here. I work as a printing press operator and think I do have some knowledge on the subject.

From what I can tell by just looking at the cards is that they are being printed with the offset printing method. It could be that they are done on a digital printing press but two things bother me about it and that is that the register of the 4 colours on the cards is just to perfect. I operated a digital printingpress before and register was always a problem on those things. The second thing that keeps me away is the amount of cards being made. It seems a little to high cost to go allong the digital path. But one can not be 100% sure about this except when someone from flying frog can confirm wich way they went with printing.

The finishing of the cards apears to be something called UV or High Gloss Coating. This is done inline with the printing press. I don't think they are laminated. Laminated paper tends to feel thicker and is more even. If you look closely at the cards you can see an uneven layer over the cards.
But I would only be 100% sure if i would take a card apart and destroying it in the process. Wich I will not do Watchmen02

My opinion on the matter is that it would be possible to create your own cards but to make them look exactly the same it would be rather expensive. Because the way they are made can not be replicated with your standard at home printer. You would be needing one of the high end ones, preferably a laser printer because desk jet printers ink does not stick to the kind of paper used for the cards. And then there is also the problem of the finishing of the cards. I don't know anyone who has an UV coater at home Zombie03

You can go to a professional printing shop with your design (and I am not talking about kinkos here) and with one of the original cards and just ask them that you want cards made like the original but with your design...but I hope you got some money to burn or are prepared to print out hundreds of the same card just to keep the cost down.

Playing cards are even in the printing world a different branch. You have printing shops that only print those, Carta Mundi is one of those for example.

Hope this helps.

I am the reason God stopped watching.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 05:10 PM
First off, I am located in the US (PA.) I appreciate the excellent information that has been provided. I thought it was likely the cost of low volume printing would be high, I think the alternative method of a separate deck of a different quality would work. Still, I am going to contact Flying Frog and see if they are willing to divulge such information to get a more concrete answer for their fan base. If they do provide such information, I will share it on the forum. I will also do such for any other information during my trial and error phase of material construction and provide photos when possible. Time to write FFP! Cross your fingers.
Find all posts by this user