Hi everyone! I would like to thank Jeff D for his excellent donation. It will keep tzg.com up and running for about 4 months! If you feel so inclined, please feel free to click on that donation link to help keep the lights on. Much appreciated!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Resurrecting the Vassal Module
06-18-2018, 08:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-19-2018 10:39 PM by Popestar.)
Resurrecting the Vassal Module
Current Uploaded Version: 3.1

Several years ago, some of the forum members here tried to put together a Vassal module for LNOE, and it was mostly unusable. So then a few more members got together with this nice long thread (which can be found here: http://www.thezombiegame.com/forums/Thre...t=vassal), and they discussed remaking the Vassal module. They even went so far as to get all the necessary tokens and pieces needed to play the game, and brunoreturns indicated in one of the posts that he would host a play-testing game for it. And that's where the thread ends.

Fast forward to 2018, and this project is long dead. None of the three major players in that thread (aprillo, knight0fdragon, brunoreturns) have logged onto the site in at least 3 years, and the dropbox link to what they did is dead and gone. Sure, some of the links that they put up still work for some individual works, and the downloads section has the original module created by friskers96 and a bunch of templates. So it would seem that this idea is buried and not likely to be resurrected.

Except that it's not.

I was able to track down aprillo using the email contact system here, and he sent me what he had for this. Which consisted of the original module that was totally unusable for playing the game. And neither knight0fdragon nor brunoreturns have email addresses in the system you can use to contact them, so this issue should be dead and buried at this point.

Except that it's not.

You see, I have this unrealistic inability to just let things go. So I did some serious searching...and found brunoreturns on another forum talking about LNOE. I contacted him, and voila! I was able to get the second iteration of the module these guys were working on all those years ago. The big thing about this is that they had already done all of the tokens and artwork and such - which, to be plain and honest about, I could have done given enough time in my day to do so. But them having already done it and being able to find them and it saved me mucho amounts of work. Thank the zombie lord above!

Anyhow, I've spent the better part of the last 2 weeks poring through their version of the module, pulling out all the artwork and rearranging things to make the module usable. And I am here to say that I have a fully functioning, working version of the module ready to go for testing. I have included only the Basic and Advanced decks of cards, and even at that I do not have the card text or card artwork in the module (but the heros and all the other tokens, to include the 2 center and 6 L-shaped boards, are stock from the game). But needless to say, I have this ready to go.

What I'd like to do is get some play-testers to make sure I've got everything coded and laid out appropriately, but I'm not sure if I can post the module anywhere to get the needed play-testers. I know the original version 1 module is in the downloads section, and the original group must have gotten permission from the admins/mods here to discuss their project. And as I don't want the ban-hammer coming down on me, I am asking up front before publishing the module in any way/shape/form.

Is it ok to publish the module? Can I advertise for play-testers? Or is this post in/of itself enough to get a stern warning?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2018, 12:08 PM
RE: Resurrecting the Vassal Module
I believe it's fine to continue. I would recommend minimizing the included copyright assets (The Frog's artwork) to low-resolution or absent when possible, at least for a while.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Thank you for the confirmation, mqstout!

I am then, therefore, asking for some play-testers for the Vassal module. I have it in my dropbox, and will be happy to share the link with the group who decides to help me play-test this. My availability is strictly at night, after 5 PM PDT most nights of the week. If anyone is interested in helping play-test, please drop me a PM and let me know!
06-21-2018, 03:44 AM
So...nobody?
06-21-2018, 01:07 PM
(06-21-2018 03:44 AM)Popestar Wrote:  So...nobody?

I am interested but my schedule is too hectic to make a commitment.
06-25-2018, 01:56 PM
Just wrong time of year for me right now. Summers are tough - when the weather is good I have work to do. When it's not I'm catching up on indoor work. Insane19

Sssshhhh...I thought I heard a feetstep...
06-28-2018, 12:59 AM
While I am done with the base module, I decided that wasn't enough. I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'm adding the Undead Inferno custom scenario into the module. Once I get that added, I will self-test aND then release the mod. Should I upload here, or post to the vassal site?
07-16-2018, 06:05 PM
And the Vassal module is finished. Well, at least the first incarnation of it that I'm going to do. I'm not happy with some of the aesthetics, and I'm sure I can make many adjustments to satisfy my own desires. But the base game, plus the Undead Inferno expansion, are added.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:...ombie_Game

I have changed the artwork on the cards to avoid copyright issues, and I've changed up the text on them as well (changed wording, removed icons, etc.), so I hope that things are ok with doing that.

I am going to keep working on this module, with the following things to come:

1. Shaun of the Dead Expansion
2. Change up the main board to allow for different configurations
3. Make Scenarios, Boards, and Heroes truly randomized (right now you can just select which ones you want)
4. Add new fan-made scenarios

I would like to point out that you can grab any Scenario from anywhere and play it without having it be one of the available options in the game. The scenarios I included were from the base game and the Undead Inferno expansions; I didn't want to go too overboard up front.

If anyone has questions, comments, feedback, etc., just let me know!
07-17-2018, 02:43 PM
(07-16-2018 06:05 PM)Popestar Wrote:  I am going to keep working on this module, with the following things to come:

1. Shaun of the Dead Expansion
2. Change up the main board to allow for different configurations
3. Make Scenarios, Boards, and Heroes truly randomized (right now you can just select which ones you want)
4. Add new fan-made scenarios

If anyone has questions, comments, feedback, etc., just let me know!

If you need any of the assets I used for the Shaun of the Dead Expansion, let me know.
Great work Popestar!
07-17-2018, 03:01 PM
I've actually got all the assets from the download section, but thanks!